update: we were all just let go

MattM

Depending on supplement, you can roll up to 7-8 years worth of time, and keep it in the bank. Then every anniversary year, depending on if you use any days, they’ll automatically cash you out the difference. It’s a beautiful thing.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I get laid off from my feeder department every year but nothing changes because I'm so high up I still work everyday most weeks.

We're laid off per article 48 section 2. I'm guessing if I try to file for unemployment that section would tell me I need to bump into the building to get my hours.

My first year I had to bump back into the building to keep insurance. I work the fewest hours possible in the building, why bust my balls for $24 an hour when three years later I'll would be making $36 an hour.

I also recommend banking all your sick days when at low rate. 4 years from now you can cash them in at top rate. :-)
I never cashed in sick days. before i retired I had maxed on the books and was taking every Monday and Tuesday off.

or you can go out early and used sick and vacation days to stay on the books until your retirement date. most drivers do this but i liked working 3 days a week for about the last 4 months.

then I walked out my last day and not a soul knew I retired except the center manager. ( the dispatcher had a clue but never said anything )

ThePackageDeli

I don't think people should be allowed to have a full-time job at UPS without working part time for years. FOR YEARS.

Why should some people have to grind for 8 years on the pre-load while someone else comes right in off the street?

542thruNthru

I never cashed in sick days. before i retired I had maxed on the books and was taking every Monday and Tuesday off.

or you can go out early and used sick and vacation days to stay on the books until your retirement date. most drivers do this but i liked working 3 days a week for about the last 4 months.

then I walked out my last day and not a soul knew I retired except the center manager. ( the dispatcher had a clue but never said anything )

So you were calling out sick Mondays and Fridays every week?

Yeah I don't believe that.

Nah
I don't think people should be allowed to have a full-time job at UPS without working part time for years. FOR YEARS.

Why should some people have to grind for 8 years on the pre-load while someone else comes right in off the street?

Was there something stopping you from quitting and getting hired FT off the street?

542thruNthru

I doubt he wanted to lose all of the vacation time he earned and his health benefits. But that's the whole point: even though it sucks, there was something worth staying for.

I lost half my years when I went full time which made me lose vacation time and also had to wait another year before i could get vacation.

Off the street hires don't know how good them have it and are usually the ones that bitch about load quality the most because they don't know what it's like.

I lost half my years when I went full time which made me lose vacation time and also had to wait another year before i could get vacation.

Off the street hires don't know how good them have it and are usually the ones that bitch about load quality the most because they don't know what it's like.
And now you are back to working part time ....

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I knew how good I had it, and, yes, I bitched about my first preloader but she was universally known as the worst in the district.

She tried driving later, and then became the worst OMS in the district.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

I knew how good I had it, and, yes, I bitched about my first preloader but she was universally known as the worst in the district.

She tried driving later, and then became the worst OMS in the district.

I don't hate off the street drivers. We all would have went that route if we could. I just hate the pompous attitude some of them have towards PTers and newer drivers that had to wait their turn to move up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
It’s the illusion. I know inside guys who try to drive and get dragged along. Good luck if you’re an outsider and expect a decent chance.

no one just comes in off the street and is FT right off the bat. That should be known from the get go. That’s the illusion.

I know inside guys who transferred to a driving hub and thought they’d be FT and driving right away. Most get to be cover guys. Some get their own route for a week. Quite a few get turned into 22.4s and will be that way for at least a year. They have to know what they’re getting into.
I was an off the street hire.
Started FT driving Day 1.
So most of what you said is incorrect.
Never was laid off in my career.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I don't hate off the street drivers. We all would have went that route if we could. I just hate the pompous attitude some of them have towards PTers and newer drivers that had to wait their turn to move up.

I was hired in a period of expansion here. We went from 18 route to almost 30 in less than a year.

Combined with guys on comp, it was a perfect storm for me.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!

I doubt all of this ever happened.

MrBates

so, one thing I didn't realize. We were all casual employees. None of us recall that term during the interview process, but apparently that is what we were hired as. What's confusing is how come they kept telling us during peak season that we had a chance to become full time employees. I guess they were just ERT#$@ with us the whole time. This is really a disgusting organization. They never had any intention of keeping us, it was just a big joke, they just used us for 6 months, making us work harder and harder telling us we're getting closer to becoming employees. absolutely pathetic and disgusting.

They usually hire inside people first. Over here it's a 6 to 1 ratio of inside to outside hires. When they finally call the one outside hire it's usually the one that knocked it out of the park.