update: we were all just let go

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by bob75633, Jan 13, 2020.

1. GameCockFan

GameCockFan Active Member

At least in my area, they fight every one.

2. MattM

MattM Active Member

Depending on supplement, you can roll up to 7-8 years worth of time, and keep it in the bank. Then every anniversary year, depending on if you use any days, they’ll automatically cash you out the difference. It’s a beautiful thing.

3. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

I never cashed in sick days. before i retired I had maxed on the books and was taking every Monday and Tuesday off.

or you can go out early and used sick and vacation days to stay on the books until your retirement date. most drivers do this but i liked working 3 days a week for about the last 4 months.

then I walked out my last day and not a soul knew I retired except the center manager. ( the dispatcher had a clue but never said anything )

4. I don't think people should be allowed to have a full-time job at UPS without working part time for years. FOR YEARS.

Why should some people have to grind for 8 years on the pre-load while someone else comes right in off the street?

5. The few rare times that accumulate a few extras I always get paid at the rate when I earned them.

6. Supply and demand.

7. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

So you were calling out sick Mondays and Fridays every week?

Yeah I don't believe that.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Sudz

Sudz Active Member

Was there something stopping you from quitting and getting hired FT off the street?

9. 542thruNthru

Yes it's called "rehire status"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Sudz

Sudz Active Member

I doubt he wanted to lose all of the vacation time he earned and his health benefits. But that's the whole point: even though it sucks, there was something worth staying for.

11. 542thruNthru

I lost half my years when I went full time which made me lose vacation time and also had to wait another year before i could get vacation.

Off the street hires don't know how good them have it and are usually the ones that bitch about load quality the most because they don't know what it's like.

12. And now you are back to working part time ....

13. cosmo1

cosmo1 Perhaps. Staff Member

I knew how good I had it, and, yes, I bitched about my first preloader but she was universally known as the worst in the district.

She tried driving later, and then became the worst OMS in the district.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  14. 542thruNthru

I couldn't hack it as a Driver. I thought about getting fat like @Turdferguson so they'd give me a customer counter job but I have a little respect for myself. ;)

15. 542thruNthru

I don't hate off the street drivers. We all would have went that route if we could. I just hate the pompous attitude some of them have towards PTers and newer drivers that had to wait their turn to move up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2020
  16. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

I was an off the street hire.
    Started FT driving Day 1.
    So most of what you said is incorrect.
    Never was laid off in my career.

17. cosmo1

cosmo1 Perhaps. Staff Member

I was hired in a period of expansion here. We went from 18 route to almost 30 in less than a year.

Combined with guys on comp, it was a perfect storm for me.

18. Maple Grove MN Driver

Life isn't fair.
    I never worked pt or inside the building.

The worst thing the Union did was allow PT workers into UPS.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  19. Maple Grove MN Driver

I doubt all of this ever happened.

20. MrBates

MrBates Active Member

They usually hire inside people first. Over here it's a 6 to 1 ratio of inside to outside hires. When they finally call the one outside hire it's usually the one that knocked it out of the park.