update: we were all just let go

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by bob75633, Jan 13, 2020.

1. MattM

MattM Active Member

Was this within the past two decades? The culture has changed Within the past 8-9 years, at least around here. Off the street FT is 1 in 100 around here. Back in the 90s or 80s, maybe it was the norm.

Then again, Some regions and hubs just flat out suck. Im in a larger metro area, and I know they hire off the street to FT in smaller mountain towns constantly. But for the more desired metro routes, it's a true :censored2: show grind to get to top rate.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

I drove a Package Car in the 13th largest metro area in the country for longer than you have been alive.
    Drivers must be hired off the street in 1:6 ratio.

You are a typical whiny Millennial.

• Funny x 8
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
  3. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

Or the DM’s nephew

4. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

you have no idea what you’re talking about

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Wasn't it 1-5 back in the day?
    I can't remember

6. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

whatsamatterfor you??

all ya hafta do is play the ( whatever ) card

7. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

when I started I think it was 1-3

8. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

B01B6FBF-C4C0-467C-829F-624DF6EB944C.gif

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. MattM

MattM Active Member

I'm confusing matters. Technically it's a 1 to 6 ratio for hiring. That part is true. For the ones that actually STICK and gain seniority around my parts is more around 1:100.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. Brown Biscuit

Brown Biscuit Blind every day

I can think of 4 off the street hires in my center alone and I am in an enormous city. Depends on your building’s needs.

11. None of our pters want to drive. The guys that have been around for years say you couldn't pay me enough to do that job. The newer guys are scared. We're only a mid thirty route ( non peak) center though.

12. rocket man

rocket man Well-Known Member

Sounds. Strange

13. myback

myback Member

Verbal is nothing, no matter who you’re talking to, zero.

14. myback

myback Member

If it’s not in writing, then it ain’t *.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2020
  15. KoennenTiger

KoennenTiger Active Member

It's the same here now. I know a lot of guys with double digit years of seniority who won't go driving. Instead we got guys driving now after three months PT. It's nuts it took me years.

I think the big problem is those guys don't have kids. They don't need more money when it means such a jump up in responsibility. They just want to go home and play their Xbox.

16. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Or they have enough seniority where they can make just as much as a FT driver in progression working a PT job. Others have another FT or PT job they enjoy and don't want to give up. Lots of reasons not to be a delivery driver for UPS.

17. Alamo Joe

Alamo Joe Member

Guess you didn’t work hard enough.

18. KoennenTiger

KoennenTiger Active Member

All those reasons go away when you come home to a little boy who runs up to you screaming dad, with mom behind him a baby on her hip.

19. MattM

MattM Active Member

OP, I think you’ll all be welcomed back. But you may have to go back to driving school, retake some tests, redo your physical, and start as a PT inside employee. The grind has just begun. Eventually you may get to be a 22.4 cover driving once in awhile. That’s the real reality for so many potential drivers.

What you 7 were doing isn’t typical for first timers. Not that it’s easy work. But that’s end game work you were doing. They dangled the ultimate golden carrot in your faces. Now the real work/bs begins.

20. If no part timers at a particular center want to fill a full-time opening, then they should attempt to recruit from neighboring hubs BEFORE hiring off the street.