update: we were all just let go

MattM

I was an off the street hire.
Started FT driving Day 1.
So most of what you said is incorrect.
Never was laid off in my career.

Was this within the past two decades? The culture has changed Within the past 8-9 years, at least around here. Off the street FT is 1 in 100 around here. Back in the 90s or 80s, maybe it was the norm.

Then again, Some regions and hubs just flat out suck. Im in a larger metro area, and I know they hire off the street to FT in smaller mountain towns constantly. But for the more desired metro routes, it's a true :censored2: show grind to get to top rate.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Was this within the past two decades? The culture has changed Within the past 8-9 years, at least around here. Off the street FT is 1 in 100 around here. Back in the 90s or 80s, maybe it was the norm.

Then again, Some regions and hubs just flat out suck. Im in a larger metro area, and I know they hire off the street to FT in smaller mountain towns constantly. But for the more desired metro routes, it's a true :censored2: show grind to get to top rate.
I drove a Package Car in the 13th largest metro area in the country for longer than you have been alive.
Drivers must be hired off the street in 1:6 ratio.

You are a typical whiny Millennial.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
whatsamatterfor you??

all ya hafta do is play the ( whatever ) card

B01B6FBF-C4C0-467C-829F-624DF6EB944C.gif

FromOffTheStreets

I don't think people should be allowed to have a full-time job at UPS without working part time for years. FOR YEARS.

Why should some people have to grind for 8 years on the pre-load while someone else comes right in off the street?
None of our pters want to drive. The guys that have been around for years say you couldn't pay me enough to do that job. The newer guys are scared. We're only a mid thirty route ( non peak) center though.

KoennenTiger

None of our pters want to drive. The guys that have been around for years say you couldn't pay me enough to do that job. The newer guys are scared. We're only a mid thirty route ( non peak) center though.

It's the same here now. I know a lot of guys with double digit years of seniority who won't go driving. Instead we got guys driving now after three months PT. It's nuts it took me years.

I think the big problem is those guys don't have kids. They don't need more money when it means such a jump up in responsibility. They just want to go home and play their Xbox.

It's the same here now. I know a lot of guys with double digit years of seniority who won't go driving. Instead we got guys driving now after three months PT. It's nuts it took me years.

I think the big problem is those guys don't have kids. They don't need more money when it means such a jump up in responsibility. They just want to go home and play their Xbox.
Or they have enough seniority where they can make just as much as a FT driver in progression working a PT job. Others have another FT or PT job they enjoy and don't want to give up. Lots of reasons not to be a delivery driver for UPS.

KoennenTiger

Or they have enough seniority where they can make just as much as a FT driver in progression working a PT job. Others have another FT or PT job they enjoy and don't want to give up. Lots of reasons not to be a delivery driver for UPS.

All those reasons go away when you come home to a little boy who runs up to you screaming dad, with mom behind him a baby on her hip.

MattM

OP, I think you’ll all be welcomed back. But you may have to go back to driving school, retake some tests, redo your physical, and start as a PT inside employee. The grind has just begun. Eventually you may get to be a 22.4 cover driving once in awhile. That’s the real reality for so many potential drivers.

What you 7 were doing isn’t typical for first timers. Not that it’s easy work. But that’s end game work you were doing. They dangled the ultimate golden carrot in your faces. Now the real work/bs begins.

ThePackageDeli

If no part timers at a particular center want to fill a full-time opening, then they should attempt to recruit from neighboring hubs BEFORE hiring off the street.