update: we were all just let go

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
they can’t get unemployment, they have the option of going and working inside. Technically still employed.

Might want to read your supplemental layoff language.

In the Central Region, you have the option to bump inside to avoid layoff....

it's not a requirement.

Section 6

"Laid-off, full-time seniority employees, in the order of their seniority, may elect to take the work of one (1) or two (2) part-time employees, for the duration of the layoff, provided they have more total Company seniority."

"If a laid-off, full-time employee elects to take a layoff rather than exercise his/her right to displace a part-time employee, he/she shall be considered a laid-off employee for lack of work for the purpose of unemployment compensation."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18centralregionsupp.pdf

-Bug-

AwashBwashCwash

A coworker said his were paid at too rate but I haven't used any of mine.

It's hard to imagine they can keep track of that when basically everyone here has to file to get progression wages.

So you're telling me they can keep track of something that is to their advantage but can't keep track of something that will cost them money.
How surprising.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I was hired off the street in 1984. Went straight to driving full time and never looked back. At that time in our supplement, there were five hired off the street before one was promoted from part time.

We are now at a 6:1 ratio with part time going full time like others have said. The last few outside hires we had went to OMS workers instead of off the street people or rehiring temporary Christmas help.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
I never cashed in sick days. before i retired I had maxed on the books and was taking every Monday and Tuesday off.

or you can go out early and used sick and vacation days to stay on the books until your retirement date. most drivers do this but i liked working 3 days a week for about the last 4 months.

then I walked out my last day and not a soul knew I retired except the center manager. ( the dispatcher had a clue but never said anything )

I thought you were a Feeder Driver?

Why would the Center Manager be the only one that knew you retired?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I was hired off the street in 1984. Went straight to driving full time and never looked back. At that time in our supplement, there were five hired off the street before one was promoted from part time.

We are now at a 6:1 ratio with part time going full time like others have said. The last few outside hires we had went to OMS workers instead of off the street people or rehiring temporary Christmas help.
i was hired off the street also in 1993. first for peak and then 5 months after peak called back to work full time after they fired a couple drivers for altering time cards back when we were on paper.

it was 5;1 at our hub but the company never adhered to it. i don't remember the union ever caring either.

had a 77 harley for years. put about 70k on it. trips to daytona, canada and mexico. final accident sidelined me.

Last edited:

RuthlessSupSlayer

il_570xN.1194614598_b8r8.jpg
so, one thing I didn't realize. We were all casual employees. None of us recall that term during the interview process, but apparently that is what we were hired as. What's confusing is how come they kept telling us during peak season that we had a chance to become full time employees. I guess they were just ERT#$@ with us the whole time. This is really a disgusting organization. They never had any intention of keeping us, it was just a big joke, they just used us for 6 months, making us work harder and harder telling us we're getting closer to becoming employees. absolutely pathetic and disgusting.

The Milkman

I also was hired off the street in 81. worked peak, was laid off, called back Sept of 82 and never looked back. I don't remember too much talk of p/ter's getting on a list back then, I just knew that I had my foot in the door and made the most of it.
Then slowly long term part timers would slowly make their way into Package Cars

Methods Man

Honestly being a 22.4 with low seniority doesn’t sound like a horrible idea while starting out. Being a RPCD when starting I was often laid off and had to bump into the sorts to get my 8hrs which I didn’t mind, however you get payed about $6 less an hour while bumping in here. From my understanding 22.4’s get paid the same no matter what they’re doing.

Now if your a 22.4 and driving everyday, that would suck.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
i was hired off the street also in 1993. first for peak and then 5 months after peak called back to work full time after they fired a couple drivers for altering time cards back when we were on paper.

it was 5;1 at our hub but the company never adhered to it. i don't remember the union ever caring either.

had a 77 harley for years. put about 70k on it. trips to daytona, canada and mexico. final accident sidelined me.
Bologna

Honestly being a 22.4 with low seniority doesn’t sound like a horrible idea while starting out. Being a RPCD when starting I was often laid off and had to bump into the sorts to get my 8hrs which I didn’t mind, however you get payed about $6 less an hour while bumping in here. From my understanding 22.4’s get paid the same no matter what they’re doing.

Now if your a 22.4 and driving everyday, that would suck.
What do you think they are going to use the 22.4 drivers for?

Delivery!!!

I don't think people should be allowed to have a full-time job at UPS without working part time for years. FOR YEARS.

Why should some people have to grind for 8 years on the pre-load while someone else comes right in off the street?
There is a carrot for everyone. Yours was a guaranteed shot at driving when your turn came up. My carrot and everyone else that came off the street after being a seasonal was the slim to none chance of getting to drive. With no carrot would people really sling boxes for years or bust their ass for 6 weeks at a seasonal job.

ThePackageDeli

There is a carrot for everyone. Yours was a guaranteed shot at driving when your turn came up. My carrot and everyone else that came off the street after being a seasonal was the slim to none chance of getting to drive. With no carrot would people really sling boxes for years or bust their ass for 6 weeks at a seasonal job.

UPS should recruit 100% from their part-time ranks. And when the supply falls short of the demand, they should recruit from neighboring hubs. And when that doesn't get it done, they should offer nation-wide transfers to part-time employees.

Anyone who hasn't worked part-time before wearing browns can kiss it.

Except Veterans. They can have whatever position they want.