Upper management gets 20% raise, I get less than inflation with a target on my back!

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
The problem is what the competition is being paid. No matter what you think of the company, and i am not defending them by any means, they have to remain competitive. UPS's labor costs are so much more that any of their competitors that it becomes harder and harder to stay competitive. They can't pay us $50/hr while fedex is making $25, that would not be a successful business model. Now there is absolutely an argument to be made that management doesn't deserve a 20% raise but if we want more money we need fedex and dhl to start making more money too.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
The problem is what the competition is being paid. No matter what you think of the company, and i am not defending them by any means, they have to remain competitive. UPS's labor costs are so much more that any of their competitors that it becomes harder and harder to stay competitive. They can't pay us $50/hr while fedex is making $25, that would not be a successful business model. Now there is absolutely an argument to be made that management doesn't deserve a 20% raise but if we want more money we need fedex and dhl to start making more money too.
That is such a tired and outdated excuse!
This is not about measuring penis'. "Mines bigger than yours because I delivered 400+ pieces, over 200 stops and 100 miles when you, with FedEx and DHL, do 1/4 of that and are home by 4pm." Being "competitive" can not be argued when profits, revenue and work are at all time highs! Nobody can cry about the competition when records keep getting smashed quarter after quarter after quarter. When year over year growth eclipses 10% you CAN NOT claim, "not be a successful business model." To say that in order to justify us, the hourlies, making more money (and my argument is we, the hourlies, aren't making more money, we actually make less) we have to wait for FedEx and DHL to get paid more is un-American!

Supply me with some numbers.
I AM NOT YOUR HIGH SCHOOL MATH TEACHER! Being spoon-fed is not the best way to learn. Do the work, it will help you to understand better!

Yaba Daba Do

With this economy that has been doing nothing but go up for 9 years there would be something wrong if they didn't make record profits and revenues year after year. The problem comes when the next recession hits. So called experts have been calling for it for years and eventually one of them will be able to act like they predicted it and say they told you so. When everything is going good it's easy to say i want more more more but it's not until there is a down turn that the issues arise. Businesses are all about the bottom line. We want UPS to be the "biggest and best in the industry" to continue to be compensated the way that we are. We should get raises that keep up with inflation but we will not get more until the competition raises their wages.
While I do think there may be reasons to strike they are not economic but more so about working conditions.

Yaba Daba Do

If we still offered better service than everyone else and people were willing to pay a little more that would be one thing but we are no better than anyone else anymore.

Benben

Point given. But why don't you think the hourlies should do better when the company and the management does better? Why would you de-value yourself to the point of being paid less while doing more work? I want more because I do more work, for longer and I do it safer!

Nobody can possibly argue that FedEx and DHL even remotely comes close to doing the amount of work we do! If you think they are even in the same ballpark you need to get out of the office and actually, physically look with your own eyes at their trucks and see for yourself!

To argue that we should not get paid what we are worth because there will be some recession at some time in the future is a crime! There will be a recession within the next 50 years and you can tell everyone Benben predicted it:wink2:

Benben

Im curious. how does one calculate what management's raise will. do you have a secret formula to this?

Really? REALLY?? You have had your head buried in the sand for how long? You are incapable of using google search? That was last year's news!

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THINK FOR YOURSELF!!!

Benben

If we still offered better service than everyone else and people were willing to pay a little more that would be one thing but we are no better than anyone else anymore.

I don't buy that! My service to my customers is top-notch! I defuse at least 10 customer situations daily and always have the customer saying, "I know its not you or UPS....", or "I am not made at you or UPS." That is the kind of things that never show up on reports but is exactly why we are the best in the industry and WHY WE SHOULD BE PAID THE BEST!

brown_trousers

Really? REALLY?? You have had your head buried in the sand for how long? You are incapable of using google search? That was last year's news!

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THINK FOR YOURSELF!!!
yeah. i doubt google will tell me what my managers raise is going to be. nice try though

Chester

I don't buy that! My service to my customers is top-notch! I defuse at least 10 customer situations daily and always have the customer saying, "I know its not you or UPS....", or "I am not made at you or UPS." That is the kind of things that never show up on reports but is exactly why we are the best in the industry and WHY WE SHOULD BE PAID THE BEST!
10 situations daily? Can you list all 10 from Friday pretty plz with sugar on top? And we are paid the best by the way.

Benben

I can’t calculate numbers that you pull out of your ass.
WOW, you are exactly why the White House has it's current occupant! I guess I do have to hold your hand and think for you!
2018 CPI and Inflation Rate for the United States | Inflation Calculator Now friend take that info and multiply it by the current top rate. The number you get is the break even point. Any raise less than that means we actually lose money!

Can someone shut this thread down, spreading misinformation.

Translation for those of you at home, "Holy :censored2: Batman, the truth has been released and we can not spin it to our advantage!"