UPS accused by New York of illegal cigarette shipments

PT Car Washer

In reality the government doesn't really want people to quit smoking but it would be bad PR to really say that. Smoking does two things the government likes. First they collect more taxes and second some people that smoke will die sooner so they don't collect Social security or use medicare.
Also tobacco employees a lot of people who otherwise would not have a job.

rod

Retired 22 years
The New York World's Fair in 1964 was state of the art but eventually it will always need an upgrade if you want to keep it up to par. I have neighbors behind me that fought tooth and nail that the elementary school that had their kids in it was not good enough and needed improvement, then their kids were no longer there and didn't want to pay for asbestos removal and upgrades. As taxpayers, we are obligated to keep schools up to par. It keeps the community young and helps the tax base. It's like young people not wanting to fund the senior center. It's the community as a whole that appreciates.

Like I said--we have beautiful schools. It's the graduating classes IQ's that need improving. I would rather see plain Jane cement block buildings that put out kids capable of competing with the rest of the civilized world. And don't get me started on the money wasted on school athletics. What a money pit.

PT Car Washer

Like I said--we have beautiful schools. It's the graduating classes IQ's that need improving. I would rather see plain Jane cement block buildings that put out kids capable of competing with the rest of the civilized world. And don't get me started on the money wasted on school athletics. What a money pit.
School athletics make money. In my state the highest paid public employee is the collage football coach.

rod

Retired 22 years
School athletics make money. In my state the highest paid public employee is the collage football coach.

Some college sports (football-basketball) are money makers----but just at the big name schools. NO high school sports program is a money maker (well maybe a few Texas High School football programs might be--they love their HS football down there)). I believe if you check it out the football coach at most (winning) state colleges are probably the highest paid pubic employee.

Examples:

Mn. State Govenor base salary for 2014---$119,00

Universary of Mn. President--$588,884

Jerry Kill-- Head football coach U of M. $1,200,000-- a friggin million two
(I take back what I said about having to be at a "winning" college)

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

Some college sports (football-basketball) are money makers----but just at the big name schools. NO high school sports program is a money maker (well maybe a few Texas High School football programs might be--they love their HS football down there)). I believe if you check it out the football coach at most (winning) state colleges are probably the highest paid pubic employee.
I agree completely. Did not want to disclose where I live but my states major college football and basketball coaches are the highest paid public employees. (go Hawkeyes)

oldngray

nowhere special
I was born a Hawkeye----Ottumwa

I thought you looked familiar.
Radar-O-Reilly-m-a-s-h-14056353-320-240.jpg