UPS Airline, Fed Ex Airline, Major and Regional.

BMWSauber1991

Hi,
I've been a loader at UPS for a little while now and have been utilizing the earn and learn program. Recently, I have hit a bump in my academic direction. To sum things up short and sweat, I have been contemplating getting my commercial pilots license after I finish my four year degree in Finance.
I am very passionate in finance and flying planes but with that being said I know that getting my degree in finance is the better choice.
I have read a lot of information on becoming a pilot for major airlines and for freight companies such as UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL, etc. Most of the information I have read has talked about how un-glamorous the airlines industry has become, the constant furloughs pilots have to deal with, and how they have had there pay slashed in recent years.
Like I mentioned earlier my plan is to get my degree and after that get my pilots license on my extra time (weekends). After completing all my licenses and instrument ratings I plan to work full time at my finance related job and be a flight instructor on the weekend in exchange for flight hours in turboprop planes and more advance planes.
This is going to be a long journey that involves lots of hard work and dedication on my part. I may never land a spot on a freight or regional airline but this is America, we work hard for what we want, we use dedication and diligence to achieve our goals and I will not stop trying until I croak.

With all that being said if there are any suggestions that can help me with my goals feel free to write a post.
Are there any UPS pilots on this forum?
Did you need a pilot referral when you applied at UPS?
If so, how did you get your pilots referral when applying to UPS?
Do you enjoy you career as a pilot?
How many flight hours did you have booked and what kinds of planes did you have experience in before applying?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading, and wish me luck with my goals.

Are there any UPS pilots on this forum? Yes, for now, until "they" ban me.

Did you need a pilot referral when you applied at UPS? No, I had a type rating in the MD-11F from Gemini Air Cargo (now defunct).

If so, how did you get your pilots referral when applying to UPS? I had no referral; this was not uncommon circa 2005-2006.

Do you enjoy you career as a pilot? N/A -- no longer with UPS Airlines. As far as being a pilot, there's nothing else I would rather do.

How many flight hours did you have booked and what kinds of planes did you have experience in before applying? I had around 4,500+ total time (can't remember exactly) w/ the majority of that as PIC multiengine turboprop (SA-227) flying night cargo Part 135. I flew Part 135 cargo for around 5+ years before getting hired with UPS.

I wish you the best of luck -- be safe out there!

Take care...