UPS and Automation

Seymour Packages

How long will it take for UPS to eventually automate the majority of its jobs away? 15 years? 25? 30? I have been researching some pretty amazing things in regards to automation and what is on the horizon. The drone delivery system is small and useless, for now. Self-driving cars/trucks still carry too much liability. But the kinks will eventually be worked out by the coders and programmers. As soon as enough money has changed hands in D.C, legislation will come down allowing a complete and affordable rollout of self-driving vehicles. I think the first major cut will be feeders/sleeper teams. It will start with the long haul operations out West. A driver will roll along to monitor the system and operate near point A and point B. Next I think the company will attempt to roll out a system of robotics to load vehicles. The one job I can see hanging on for the long haul is package delivery. There are still too many variables in running a route efficiently, pick ups, diverting to deliver air, call tags, etc. This company is brutal when it comes to downsizing, even to its own detriment (PVDs). I hope the Teamsters see the writing on the wall and include strong enough language to protect our jobs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How long will it take for UPS to eventually automate the majority of its jobs away? 15 years? 25? 30? I have been researching some pretty amazing things in regards to automation and what is on the horizon. The drone delivery system is small and useless, for now. Self-driving cars/trucks still carry too much liability. But the kinks will eventually be worked out by the coders and programmers. As soon as enough money has changed hands in D.C, legislation will come down allowing a complete and affordable rollout of self-driving vehicles. I think the first major cut will be feeders/sleeper teams. It will start with the long haul operations out West. A driver will roll along to monitor the system and operate near point A and point B. Next I think the company will attempt to roll out a system of robotics to load vehicles. The one job I can see hanging on for the long haul is package delivery. There are still too many variables in running a route efficiently, pick ups, diverting to deliver air, call tags, etc. This company is brutal when it comes to downsizing, even to its own detriment (PVDs). I hope the Teamsters see the writing on the wall and include strong enough language to protect our jobs.
Think about what you are saying. Robots can do our job in your scenario....Teamsters can put all of the language they want in the contract. That contract becomes useless once our jobs can be outsourced

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
It could take a while
About 8 years ago UPS spent millions trying to move us into a highly automated center and it was a complete sheet show
After 2 years we moved back to our old building
Technology is great but the package operations needs bodies

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I don’t know, but if it gets to the point where we are automated away then many other jobs will be in the same boat. White collar jobs are not safe either. If the technology keeps progressing the way some people think there is going to be another industrial revolution scale change in the next decades.

Personally I’m a masochist so I hope our jobs stick around for a while.

charm299

Who’s gonna buy crap off the internet if nobody has a job because of automation?

4evapreloader

I don't see package car loading as a job that could be automated. How are you going to get a robot to jam 600 pieces into a package car? It will never happen.

takesteady

I keep hearing that, yet every time I ask one simple question, I get a blank stare.

Where is the money going to come from if nobody has a job with income to tax because they have all been automated away?
We could start by ending our pointless foreign wars, slashing our cartoonishly bloated defense budget, and fixing our crumbling infrastructure. Doubt any of that will happen under Biden, but still a good start.