W

What The Hawk?

My coworker who's been a driver for 11 years tells me that it doesn't matter if another driver blatantly drives into your truck, it's your fault for not avoiding the accident. Same thing was said to me when I got forklift certified. Sad but true.

brownIEman

My coworker who's been a driver for 11 years tells me that it doesn't matter if another driver blatantly drives into your truck, it's your fault for not avoiding the accident. Same thing was said to me when I got forklift certified. Sad but true.

Your coworker was exaggerating. Yes UPS drivers are held to a higher standard than just not causing accidents and must do everything they can to avoid ones other drivers cause. Your coworker also does not understand the difference between at-fault and avoidable.
I investigated a head on crash I'm my center once and determined it was unavoidable.

W

What The Hawk?

Your coworker was exaggerating. Yes UPS drivers are held to a higher standard than just not causing accidents and must do everything they can to avoid ones other drivers cause. Your coworker also does not understand the difference between at-fault and avoidable.
I investigated a head on crash I'm my center once and determined it was unavoidable.
Well she did have a backing crash this year..maybe she was heated that she didn't get a slap on the wrist. lol

oldngray

nowhere special

Be prepared. Expect the unexpected.

The catch all they can use to charge anyone for anything. They are under pressure to call everything avoidable because they have to justify a decision to call it unavoidable. It doesn't always end up that way but it definitely does happen.

W

What The Hawk?

The catch all they can use to charge anyone for anything. They are under pressure to call everything avoidable because they have to justify a decision to call it unavoidable. It doesn't always end up that way but it definitely does happen.
I think a lot of veteran drivers get complacent sometimes too.

brownIEman

This.
Investigating an accident any finding of unavoidable will be questioned. Avoidable not so much. I was grilled by the district ops manager on the head on I determined unavoidable. I stood my ground and stuck to the facts.
The reason the system is setup that way is to avoid accepting complacent non defensive driving that holds no one accountable for not doing all they can to avoid accidents caused by others.

W

What The Hawk?

@brownIEman This one happened 2 weeks ago, a driver of 20+ years (I think) hit a dumpster at 35 mph moving forward (according to what was said). I have the picture of it but won't post it for obvious reasons.

brownIEman

How do you investigate crashes? Like how do you become the person who does that?

The center management team is tasked with investigating accidents. Often division managers or safety managers/supervisors are brought in if available.
I was an on road supervisor at the time. In the case of the head on my center manager was off and I was covering for him that day. The accident happened about 8pm on a Friday so while I called all those mentioned in the chain of command, it was just me and the cops on scene investigating on that one.

W

What The Hawk?

The center management team is tasked with investigating accidents. Often division managers or safety managers/supervisors are brought in if available.
I was an on road supervisor at the time. In the case of the head on my center manager was off and I was covering for him that day. The accident happened about 8pm on a Friday so while I called all those mentioned in the chain of command, it was just me and the cops on scene investigating on that one.
I bet that job can be difficult sometimes. The trainer at my driver training also did this. He has some horrible stories.

brownIEman

@brownIEman This one happened 2 weeks ago, a driver of 20+ years (I think) hit a dumpster at 35 mph moving forward (according to what was said). I have the picture of it but won't post it for obvious reasons.

Barring some really bizarre circumstance that sounds like an automatic avoidable and warning letter (or worse depending on any recent accidents).