UPS and Teamsters discuss adding lower-paid workers for weekend deliveries

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS and Teamsters discuss adding lower-paid workers for weekend deliveries - Marketwatch

Controversial proposal calls for creating a ‘hybrid driver’ position that would earn as little as $15 an hour

United Parcel Service Inc. and the Teamsters union are discussing a two-tier wage system that would allow the company to hire lower-paid workers to deliver packages on weekends, including Sundays, as the parcel giant seeks ways to manage the surge in e-commerce.

The proposal, raised in recent contract negotiations, calls for creating a “hybrid driver” position that would earn as little as $15 an hour and top out at an hourly wage of $30. These employees’ regular schedule would be Sunday to Thursday or Tuesday to Saturday, avoiding costly overtime.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
This shouldn't even be on the negotiating table. Delivering packages is delivering packages. Everyone is entitled to make a decent wage and benefits, and should be paid accordingly.(top driver wages) UPS will exploit this to the max if allowed, like they do everything else. The company is crying poor pitiful me. We need to be able to compete with Amazon. 18.83 billion revenue in 2017. Nuff said.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
This shouldn't even be on the negotiating table. Delivering packages is delivering packages. Everyone is entitled to make a decent wage and benefits, and should be paid accordingly.(top driver wages) UPS will exploit this to the max if allowed, like they do everything else. The company is crying poor pitiful me. We need to be able to compete with Amazon. 18.83 billion revenue in 2017. Nuff said.
Seems to me that if this is agreed upon all UPS drivers will eventually be the lower wage. All they have to do is wait for attrition to make it possible. It’s like a guy saying, Just the tip.

Ghost in the Darkness

If they are delivery only, then no they should not be on a different scale. If its a combo job then maybe, I'd have to see what they are doing for other days because it looks like Sat & Sun they would be delivering. There should be more specifics about how this works in order really make a decision either way.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
The only way that I can see this to be fair is that part time workers work M-W on preload/unload and S-S at the high rate as a driver. Or W-friend and S-S. When a M-friend position comes available, they would progress to full time at that rate.

old levi's

blank space
If they are delivery only, then no they should not be on a different scale. If its a combo job then maybe, I'd have to see what they are doing for other days because it looks like Sat & Sun they would be delivering. There should be more specifics about how this works in order really make a decision either way.

What they will be doing on the weekdays, is delivering what had been overtime work for the higher paid workforce.

Ghost in the Darkness

I don't think that the surepost was/is monitored very well by the union, so its likely this two tier will be much much worse...(route cutting etc.) Like I said before, I'm voting no... they have less than 3 months to convince me otherwise.