UPS and Teamsters Discuss Two-Tier Wages, Sunday Deliveries---WSJ

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Chick FIL A seems to do fine without working Sundays. Just saying. You have it backwards, we didn’t have to compete with the other companies, they worked weekends to compete with us. Now that Pandora’s box has been opened, it’s over.
Chick FIL A can get away with that because it's the only place you can get a Chick FIL A sandwich, anyone can deliver a package. And I don't have it backwards, regardless of the reason that companies started delivering on weekends UPS now has to compete them at a profitable price point. I do agree with your Pandora's box analogy.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Chick FIL A seems to do fine without working Sundays. Just saying. You have it backwards, we didn’t have to compete with the other companies, they worked weekends to compete with us. Now that Pandora’s box has been opened, it’s over.
I will say someone needs to stand up to Amazon (we should have years ago). For the most part I don't think the customers getting the deliveries care if they get deliveries on Saturday and Sunday. It's :censored2:ing Amazon pushing its will on everyone.

If they try to make you work Saturday just become Jewish.

opie

I will say someone needs to stand up to Amazon (we should have years ago). For the most part I don't think the customers getting the deliveries care if they get deliveries on Saturday and Sunday. It's :censored2:ing Amazon pushing its will on everyone.

If they try to make you work Saturday just become Jewish.
How about Trump lol?
Screenshot_20180509-235211_Twitter.jpg

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

Best post yet. Thanks

F

Frankie's Friend

Chick FIL A can get away with that because it's the only place you can get a Chick FIL A sandwich, anyone can deliver a package. And I don't have it backwards, regardless of the reason that companies started delivering on weekends UPS now has to compete them at a profitable price point. I do agree with your Pandora's box analogy.
Uh they give up an extremely high profit day because of their respecting the day of worship.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
View attachment 192881 View attachment 192882 View attachment 192883 View attachment 192884
"Performance based" raises that included these issues: accidents, injuries, misdelivered pkgs, delivery of damaged packages, and best of all > customer complaints...
HMOs for healthcare....
Just to mention a few things if you've forgotten.

Ron loathed Kelly and the feeling was mutual but Ron was a man who worked our jobs and so did his dad. He related to us.
The best story I "heard" was the strike at Peak in NYC. Kelly screamed "You're breaking the contract!" to which Ron replied "You break it every day".

At least the man stood up to the company.
Thanks for the pics..I had erased that guys mug from my mind...I enjoyed seeing him come back on TV after about 2 1/2 weeks of bein' on the bricks after the " last and best offer ''.

F

Frankie's Friend

Ups has decided to walk thru that door. No one is forcing us to.

Our family has relatives who work for the post office and they used to crow about "even delivering on Christmas day!" to which I replied ups gets their work done on time", we dont need to work Christmas Day.

specter208

There can be no concession here. I think it is reasonable to not demand an increase in wage rate but there cannot not be a reduction.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Uh they give up an extremely high profit day because of their respecting the day of worship.
Very different business model, they don't have competitors offering our customers long term contracts that include Saturday/Sunday delivery. If we give up on weekend delivery we're not just giving up on one day of profit we're giving up on a selling point for a contract that will ultimately cost us jobs.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Part of the labor movement was about the 40 hr 5 day work week. Time to spend with your family and church on Sunday. If anything Saturday and Sunday should be premium pay.
It is at many jobs... my wife works 8 hours on a Saturday or Sunday and gets paid for 10... and yes she is union...

35years

Gravy route
Negative. What i was saying was our pay at some point needs to be frozen with a progression. We cant keep getting raises and expecting free healthcare, its unrealistic.
We make the same as we did 40 years ago adjusted for inflation.
With more out of pocket healthcare costs.
And a less secure pension (for most) that pays less per month when inflation is accounted for.

At the same time executive compensation for Abney has gone from 4 Million in 2013 to 13.7 Million in 2016.
At the same time missing his targets.
If we received a comparable raise we would be making $100 an hour strait time.

Then after missing its three-year performance targets for revenue growth, operating return on invested capital and total shareholder returns the board voted themselves an additional 10% increase in September 2016 on top of a normal 4% increase in March.

We on the other hand have barely kept pace with inflation.

IGotARock

If they decide we need to do weekend deliveries (which...this is 2018, so maybe we need to concede that point), then the weekend guys need to be FULL UPS employees with the SAME benefits, who work five consecutive days just like the rest of us. That way UPS will get its weekend deliveries, and these weekend employees won't unnecessarily eat into the weekday deliveries.

Hell, some of our senior guys might even sign up for a weekend schedule, for family reasons, or just to get stuff done on weekdays.

I think that's equitable. Why would they be paid lesser wages? That doesn't make sense. It'll breed contempt just like it did at Ford, et al.

35years

Gravy route
At the very minimum full pay for weekend drivers and 40 hrs/5 day guarantee.
Everyone gets premium pay for 6th punch and double time for 7th day.

New classification and lesser pay for weekend drivers is a HUGE concession.

What happened to limiting overtime and strengthening pensions in this contract?

UPS is controlling the narrative.

The economy is booming. UPS is making record profits, and will get a huge tax break. Concessions make no sense and will likely lead to a No vote.