UPS as a guide to life

xAvenger

I worked at UPS from October 1992 until July 1995. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was promoted to PT supervisor in July 1993. The center manager was Mark N. I initially hated him; he rode me like a beast of burden. However, the greatest moment at UPS was in 1994 when he actually told me I was doing a good job. I recall being late for a management meeting soon after being promoted, and Mr. N, who was giving the meeting,glared at me the entire meeting. Immediately when the meeting ended he requested I meet him in his office in the next room. He screamed at me and broke several cabinet doors in his office. I thought he was going to hit me. I was very afraid. I was never late after that. That lesson carried over after I left UPS.

The point of this is that I was an undisciplined ass when I went to work at UPS. Mr. N was a life changer. If not for him I would not have been able to go to law school and be a practicing attorney today. If you want to succeed in life, stick with it. I see a lot of stories on here with few specifics. That weakens the credibility of the so-called "horror stories." Suck it up; if your sup disciplines you, probably you deserve it. If you don't, prove it.

Case-in-point: I had a guy who would not comply with the requests to perform work. He was brought to my area for OJS and for me to turn him. He acted admirably in the face of the challenges I tossed at him, e.g. I threw him in a two-person load and told the other employees not to give him help. After seeing his spirit, I helped personally. My job was to turn him, so there was nothing I could do to keep him. He told me repeatedly that[to get rid of him] was,"all me." When I asked what that meant, he offered a satisfactory explanation. He put in his two weeks. He worked those weeks. I worked him. He quit. To this day, I would support his request for any job or anything else. I respected his character. He proved himself.

As for the rest of you, what do you have to say?

Last edited by a moderator:

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I worked at UPS from October 1992 until July 1995. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was promoted to PT supervisor in July 1993. The center manager was Mark N. I initially hated him; he rode me like a beast of burden. However, the greatest moment at UPS was in 1994 when he actually told me I was doing a good job. I recall being late for a management meeting soon after being promoted, and Mr. N, who was giving the meeting,glared at me the entire meeting. Immediately when the meeting ended he requested I meet him in his office in the next room. He screamed at me and broke several cabinet doors in his office. I thought he was going to hit me. I was very afraid. I was never late after that. That lesson carried over after I left UPS.

The point of this is that I was an undisciplined ass when I went to work at UPS. Mr. N was a life changer. If not for him I would not have been able to go to law school and be a practicing attorney today. If you want to succeed in life, stick with it. I see a lot of stories on here with few specifics. That weakens the credibility of the so-called "horror stories." Suck it up; if your sup disciplines you, probably you deserve it. If you don't, prove it.

Case-in-point: I had a guy who would not comply with the requests to perform work. He was brought to my area for OJS and for me to turn him. He acted admirably in the face of the challenges I tossed at him, e.g. I threw him in a two-person load and told the other employees not to give him help. After seeing his spirit, I helped personally. My job was to turn him, so there was nothing I could do to keep him. He told me repeatedly that[to get rid of him] was,"all me." When I asked what that meant, he offered a satisfactory explanation. He put in his two weeks. He worked those weeks. I worked him. He quit. To this day, I would support his request for any job or anything else. I respected his character. He proved himself.

As for the rest of you, what do you have to say?
As an attorney you would think you would read the terms of service before posting and violate them by posting someone's full name on here

xAvenger

I was not posting in that capacity. I posted the name as I came to understand Mr. N was the driving positive force in my life. Do you work at UPS? I think not. Mr. N, as I illustrated, was a great man.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I would request more meanigful replies. I am sure there are people who are not "special snowflakes" who can reply.
image.gif

xAvenger

A great man? No. He sounded like an abusive ass.

He was. And I feared him. It changed me for the better. In law school another student actually thought Mr. N was a "bogey man" meant to scare people. He was not. That person failed out because of his failure to understand Mr. N's lessons. I gave Mr. N's name because people should know they would be lucky to fall under his personal command.

Returntosender

He was. And I feared him. It changed me for the better. In law school another student actually thought Mr. N was a "bogey man" meant to scare people. He was not. That person failed out because of his failure to understand Mr. Nelson's lessons. I gave Mr. N's name because people should know they would be lucky to fall under his personal command.
Nelson as in former UPS CEO Kent N from 1989 to 1996.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
He was. And I feared him. It changed me for the better. In law school another student actually thought Mr. N was a "bogey man" meant to scare people. He was not. That person failed out because of his failure to understand Mr. N's lessons. I gave Mr. N's name because people should know they would be lucky to fall under his personal command.
A good supervisor does not resort to fear tactics to get people to work.

xAvenger

You knowingly put him in a two person job and refused to give him help. Endangering his safety, like everyone says safety at UPS is BS.

That is bull:censored2:. I was trained and taught to put my employees'safety first. Period. And I did. If there was any question, I would handle it myself. I still have some scars.