UPS AVOIDS DRIVING 63.5 MILLION MILES IN 2010...due to conservation and technology?!!

Hey UPS....how many of those miles were saved by eliminating routes and over-dispatching the ones that were in?!!! Guess thats UPS' idea of conservation.Always trying to put a spin on reality.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Re: UPS AVOIDS DRIVING 63.5 MILLION MILES IN 2010...due to conservation and technolog

yup, splitting routes would be the conservation

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Re: UPS AVOIDS DRIVING 63.5 MILLION MILES IN 2010...due to conservation and technolog

I hope they saved money, ITS GONNA COST THEM CONTRACT TIME !!!

We're not stupid drivers !

wornoutupser

Let us concede that some of this MAY be true.

BUT

How much more did UPS pay in overtime to these drivers that did work- and how much MORE was the labor cost to work the laid off drivers at full rate in the part time positions?

It's all hocus pocus. Our exalted CEO is trying to justify his mighty raise!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

If i went to the news and told them I was a 12 yr veteran driver who made 10,000 more than I did last year half way through the year. What would the stock holders think ?

THAT'S RIGHT ! IT'S ALL PERSPECTIVE !!

upsgrunt

It kind of ticks me off that we, as drivers, get no credit for making the impossible possible. As I've said before, what is the next CEO suppose to do? We have to be hitting terminal velocity soon where no more spending can be cut, no more miles cut, no more production demanded; where things start moving backward. Kind of like where we are headed already.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?

Based on the way UPS has been run the past couple of years I assume the goal is to have UPS drive Zero miles per year, just think of the cost saving in fuel if we go out of business.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I bet if they added in all the miles that the supervisors drive shuttling missorts in their personal vehicles these numbers wouldn't be the same.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

If i went to the news and told them I was a 12 yr veteran driver who made 10,000 more than I did last year half way through the year. What would the stock holders think ?
They would say, "That guy would make a good Mall Cop."

Packmule

What a joke! We added thousands of miles a year when they expanded next day air commits. Now we drive 30 miles out into the sticks to deliver a letter to a house where no is home! I guess the dogs like the company! The owners all went to town for the day!

40 and out

Its all public relations b.s. You have to admit that it sounds good to the non-informed public.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

I've said this before, but those are measurements that are easy to sell to a stockholder or joe public, both starving for $ucce$$ in the financial outlook. What's obviously hidden though, is the brewing discourse from employees on both sides of the aisle and good customers who routinely get a 2 hour later delivery time on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Cutting routes looks like a great profitable plan, until the $#1t hits the dash fan. Oh wait, I forgot, my dash fan was removed. To increase profitability by eliminating non original equipment. Sorry, I know that was gratuitous.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender

wow, so really, the company is lying? you guys are amazing.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender

I agree the thought that UPS would lie about anything is total unfounded. :devil3:

that's not the point. this is a big deal for UPS and our stockholders. why would we put ourselves in a horrible position like that?

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?

that's not the point. this is a big deal for UPS and our stockholders. why would we put ourselves in a horrible position like that?

When it comes to telling the truth I would not trust UPS on any level, with anyone, about anything, sorry but this company would tell me the sun raises in the west and sets in the east and give me a warning letter if I didnt agree.

wornoutupser

Salesguy,

If you want to see horrible positions, get out of the Ivory Tower and ride with drivers for a week. Oh, thats right, our manager is off by 5:00 most days.

Our customers are fed up with different drivers every day, different delivery times every day and having two delivery drivers show up at the door hours apart because no one can dispatch. Yeah, we must be saving a ton.

No one CARES if we pick them up in a 15 minute window-yet Atlanta does the happy dance over this issue. The customers WANT a dependable delivery time, preferably as early as possible. Drivers are now disciplined for blowing a commit time if the customer calls us and NEEDS a later pickup time.

You and Atlanta have no clue as to what CUSTOMER SERVICE is. Customer Service went away when United Parcel SERVICE was taken off of the side of the trucks. It only SEEMS to be whatever the flavor of the month is from above. Does anyone EVER get on the street up your way?

My building has drivers disciplined weekly for "production", yet not one member of management can demonstrate how to perform at "acceptable" levels without skipping lunch ( which is against the law) or not having accidents ( my division is through the roof on Tier 3's). One supervisor himself just had an accident- while the supervisor was driving-and there is now an injured hourly employee on light duty -and THERE IS NO POLICE REPORT. The supervisor STILL HAS HIS JOB! Show me a driver that would still be employed under these circumstances.

You want fairness? Treat your employees right. You want results that are real and not on paper for the public? Take care of YOUR customers and treat them right. THEN YOUR COMPANY WILL GROW! UPS is in a full blown shrink right now!

I truly hope that our exalted CEO enjoys his massive raise again this year- while we have drivers laid off-and are losing customers-and good employees that GREW this company.

I apologize for the rant, but YOU GUYS DONT GET IT!

thessalonian13

Hey UPS....how many of those miles were saved by eliminating routes and over-dispatching the ones that were in?!!! Guess thats UPS' idea of conservation.Always trying to put a spin on reality.
I am driving 5 to 15 extra miles a day with their crazy dispatches. No savings here.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

It kind of ticks me off that we, as drivers, get no credit for making the impossible possible. As I've said before, what is the next CEO suppose to do? We have to be hitting terminal velocity soon where no more spending can be cut, no more miles cut, no more production demanded; where things start moving backward. Kind of like where we are headed already.

This is where Mr. Davis takes his fortune and moves on.
Industrial rapist.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.

My miles are definately up due to ignorance in dispatching.I used to try to tell them what would work better,but they soon got cocky so I just run what they give me now.My record for a round trip 1 stop add/cut was recently 76 miles and these arrogant little glorified secretaries get a pat on the head for cutting miles.One of these days Im going to write a book.....