"UPS Basic 85"-85% POST OFFICE DELIVERY!!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
What part of this service is outsourcing? To be outsourcing, work would have to be taken away from a UPSer and given to someone else. Since Basic volume comes from companies using FedEx Smartpost and the USPS, it's all new volume to UPS. Basic is picked up by a UPSer, sorted by a UPSer and delivered by a UPSer--all Teamsters. Where is the outsourcing?

The outsourcing is in shipments from companies like qvc and lands end, that used to be a rather large part of my resi deliveries. As they are converted over to basic, more shippers given this option may see the savings as an incentive to persuade customers to use it even if they lose a day in transit. Customers can now track that their shipment is at their local PO on Monday and scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Using UPS ground they would have same pkg Monday.

MC4YOU2

I am right now delivering between 40-50 stops to my PO daily. About 1/3 of an average UPS route. This even in a down economy. When it bounces back that will surely increase double.

The outsourcing is in shipments from companies like qvc and lands end, that used to be a rather large part of my resi deliveries. As they are converted over to basic, more shippers given this option may see the savings as an incentive to persuade customers to use it even if they lose a day in transit. Customers can now track that their shipment is at their local PO on Monday and scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Using UPS ground they would have same pkg Monday.

Or maybe even Thursday or Friday or the previous week since basic has no time in transit gaurantee.

worldwide

Basic volume comes from companie that were NOT using UPS for all or some of their shipments--it is NEW volume to UPS--Companies are not converting current UPS ground to UPS Basic. Lands End and QVC also use the USPS for PO Box deliveries and lighter weight shipment for which UPS ground residential is too expensive.

If a current UPS customer was going to divert to Fedex Smartpost due to substantially cheaper rates and UPS Basic was the only option to keep them, what would you do? Would you allow them to go to Fedex or would you offer them Basic to keep the volume in-house being picked-up, sorted and delivered by a Teamster?

pkgman001

It was my understanding, when Basic was introduced back in 2003, that there were two conditions-(1) it would not be offered to existing UPS shippers, and (2) that only 20% would be delivcered by USPS-the Rural/Super Rural. Now, both those conditions are gone. UPS now offers Basic to existing customers, and the 20% Post Office is now 85%. What is the left over 15% anyway-is it by zip? The Basic packages I see all have a "PT" in the bar code, I assume that has something to do with Post office.

worldwide

It was my understanding, when Basic was introduced back in 2003, that there were two conditions-(1) it would not be offered to existing UPS shippers, and (2) that only 20% would be delivcered by USPS-the Rural/Super Rural. Now, both those conditions are gone. UPS now offers Basic to existing customers, and the 20% Post Office is now 85%. What is the left over 15% anyway-is it by zip? The Basic packages I see all have a "PT" in the bar code, I assume that has something to do with Post office.

UPS Basic is not a general service offering--it is contract only. When you refer to "conditions" what do you mean? To whom do these "conditions" apply to? Is the economic and business world of 2009 different than 2003?

ALL Basic packages are picked up, sorted and delivered by Teamsters.

If a current UPS customer was going to divert to Fedex Smartpost due to substantially cheaper rates and UPS Basic was the only option to keep them, what would you do? Would you allow them to go to Fedex or would you offer them Basic to keep the volume in-house being picked-up, sorted and delivered by a Teamster?

undercoversupe

PP IS UPS Delivery.

PT IS USPS Delivery.

Bottom line, Basic allows us to be competitive with the USPS. If it were not for basic, we would lose hundreds of thousands packages to the Post Office each day.

Basic is allowing us to lose jobs now. When it started it was told to us by management that is was to gain new business. Now is it our regular customers like QVC that is sending all packages to the Post Office. It is out of control. WE did a survey of our small center of 12 routes and out of 2500 pieces we delivered 260 pieces to the Post Office. Where does it stop? It will not until the Teamsters say no more sub contracting....

beentheredonethat

Basic is allowing us to lose jobs now. When it started it was told to us by management that is was to gain new business. Now is it our regular customers like QVC that is sending all packages to the Post Office. It is out of control. WE did a survey of our small center of 12 routes and out of 2500 pieces we delivered 260 pieces to the Post Office. Where does it stop? It will not until the Teamsters say no more sub contracting....

Do you think UPS wants to sell Basic? They would much rather sell and intl pkg or an air pkg. They would rather sell a commercial ground and even a resi ground then a basic since all the others bring in more revenue.

We do it, because we have to compete against smartpost where 100% of the work is delivered final mile by the USPS. Shippers want\need to cut cost, and smartpost\basic is how they are doing it. The question really is, would you rather have the pickup, hub, feeder, preload and delivery to the post office work, or have none of it. It's not UPS's choice it's the consumers.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Basic is allowing us to lose jobs now. When it started it was told to us by management that is was to gain new business.

Actually, it was designed to move into a new market share, one that we had not been able to access. It allowed us to get some new business, and keep parts of other businesses that we would have lost.

Now is it our regular customers like QVC that is sending all packages to the Post Office.

QVC has always sent a large portion of its packages through the postal service. And with the new flat rate boxes that the post office is offering, as a business, I dont see how we can even try to compete, unless we drop our prices.

It is out of control. WE did a survey of our small center of 12 routes and out of 2500 pieces we delivered 260 pieces to the Post Office. Where does it stop? It will not until the Teamsters say no more sub contracting....

Interesting. How is that subcontracting? We provide the service and collect our money. All they want us to do is to pick it up at one location, and deliver it to another. Think of it as being the same as the UPS store. There are 100 consignees at that store, and you have packages for 19 of them. But you leave them all with the clerk at the ups store and get one stop and one signature. IS that subcontracting as well?

UPS is not paying the post office for that last leg of the delivery, the customer is. All we are doing is what we have been contracted to do.

As a business man, yup, I would love 100% of a contract to complete the project. But sometimes I have a smaller percentage of the whole contract.

15% of something is always better than 100% of nothing.

And the teamsters know that.

d

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Some advise ... don't go into business for yourself.
You'll do better with others doing the thinking. :wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Wrong, yes we do.
Didn't always, but we do now.
I deliver to PO Boxes daily on my route.
Now unfix it know it all.
If I am not mistaken what Upstate was getting at was we cannot del pkgs that are addressed with a POBOX. They have to have a street address. Even the post offices have a street address and that is the address that we deliver too. So now you can send your apologies to Upstate. Be sure to get the proper address before you send it. :peaceful:

MC4YOU2

Basic is the absolute slowest way to get a pkg, unless you want it PO all the way, which may be slower. No matter how close or how far, always add one EXTRA day of shipping for it to get to it's destination. Might be worth mentioning to our QVC ladies (and gents) if the topic of transit time comes up.

satellitedriver

There are 3 types of Basic.

1. PO BOX Delivery
2. UPS Deliver
3. Post office Deliver

UPS has files that are used to determine what the destination zip code will fall under for UPS or USPS delivery. The post office delivers all of the remote type stuff that would kill ups on cost. The in town stuff is handled by the brown guy. There are no Guaranteed Service Recoveries on Basic packages. Basic is now being offered for smaller customers who can give us at least 250 basic packages a day.
Those files must have been created by the same geniuses that are micro-managing driver dispatch.
Case in point;
Today, I had a QVC pkg for a rural delivery and since I was dispatched with a 13hr day I had to break off and deliver a Basic pkg to the PO before the PO closed. It was a QVC Basic going to the same rural address that I had to break off from.
20 miles later, I was back on trace.
It only cost UPS about $30 for me to make service on that one "new" volume package.
Also, I see "in town" Basic pkgs on peoples door steps all the time, while I am delivering to the same address.
I truly fear for the long term future of our company.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wrong, yes we do.
Didn't always, but we do now.
I deliver to PO Boxes daily on my route.
Now unfix it know it all.

D-head, we do not deliver to P.O. Boxes. The pkgs that we deliver to the Post Office all have a street address. Yes, the secondary address may be a P.O. Box, but that is not our concern.

With the P.O. closed today, there will be a lot of CLO H to be redispatched tomorrow.

As far as the know it all comment, this is most certainly not the case, although it does appear that I know a little more than the D-head does, don't I?:happy2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
D-head, we do not deliver to P.O. Boxes. The pkgs that we deliver to the Post Office all have a street address. Yes, the secondary address may be a P.O. Box, but that is not our concern.

With the P.O. closed today, there will be a lot of CLO H to be redispatched tomorrow.

As far as the know it all comment, this is most certainly not the case, although it does appear that I know a little more than the D-head does, don't I?:happy2:
Semantics. You definately think you know it all. The "Correcter" apparently doesn't like to be corrected.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

D, semantics, schmantics. We do not deliver to P.O. boxes. When you deliver the shoes to Ms Marcos tomorrow, read the label carefully. You will see 2 addresses, a physical street address for the P.O. and a P.O. Box for shoe lady.

You need to come with more than this if you wish to verbally spar with me.

upsgrunt

Technically we don't deliver to store shelves either, but that is the address where the product will end up. I could see it going both ways. We don't deliver to P.O. boxes, but do deliver to P.O. boxes indirectly at the address where the boxes reside.