"UPS Basic Service"

kt1031

Hi Guys!
I am new to Brown Cafe, and don't know where to write about this.
I bought a coat from Urban Outfitters and UO provided free shipping with UPS basic. Problem is this. The item should delivered today, but noone was at the main office in my apt. so UPS guy took it back to the facility and my tracking status is changed to "Exception"

11/16/20095:56 P.M.AS REQUESTED BY THE CUSTOMER, THE RECEIVER WILL PICKUP AT A UPS FACILITY WITHIN 5 BUSINESS DAYS

After I talked to UPS service rep, status has been updated with

11/16/20097:53 P.M.AS REQUESTED BY THE CUSTOMER, THE RECEIVER WILL PICKUP AT A UPS FACILITY WITHIN 5 BUSINESS DAYS / CUSTOMER HAS CONFIRMED AND WILL PICK UP PACKAGES THIS EVENING

which I've never confirmed or anything. Worst thing is that 'UPS Basic' doesn't offer redelivery. Since I work during the day, It is impossible for me to go down to UPS facility and pick-up. Is there anyway to get item re-delivered instead? What should I do now? :angry:

Noah0504

How late do you work? The center should be open a few hours past 5:00 PM. I know we pretty much always have someone available to help a customer until almost 10:00, if not later. See if you can get a service rep to cough up the phone number to the center. Usually they won't, but just explain the situation to them again. They are there to help!

kt1031

How late do you work? The center should be open a few hours past 5:00 PM. I know we pretty much always have someone available to help a customer until almost 10:00, if not later. See if you can get a service rep to cough up the phone number to the center. Usually they won't, but just explain the situation to them again. They are there to help!

Thanks for your reply, I called UPS couple times and everytime I called they say NO. So i decided to let it ship back to the sender and make them resend my item with other shipping service not UPS BASIC!!:happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The package should have been driver released at your front door. When we deliver a Basic a screen pops up instructing us to driver release these at locations that we normally do not driver release. This is part of the deal with Basic. It sounds like that driver needs a refresher course on Basic.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The package should have been driver released at your front door. When we deliver a Basic a screen pops up instructing us to driver release these at locations that we normally do not driver release. This is part of the deal with Basic. It sounds like that driver needs a refresher course on Basic.
Part of the training also includes that when a driver can't make the delivery for discretionary reasons. The packages is to be put in will call. We are to indicate that it is the last attempt and that the package is in will call. This is not uncommon on my route. Examples being multi unit apartments with security entrance that keeps me from their front door. I also use this discretion in some of my more "economically challenged" neighborhoods. One of there two scenarios may have been the case here.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Part of the training also includes that when a driver can't make the delivery for discretionary reasons. The packages is to be put in will call. We are to indicate that it is the last attempt and that the package is in will call. This is not uncommon on my route. Examples being multi unit apartments with security entrance that keeps me from their front door. I also use this discretion in some of my more "economically challenged" neighborhoods. One of there two scenarios may have been the case here.
Our training is not what you have described. 3 attempts and it is returned unless it is a sig req.

And as far as the OP is concerned we have customers that come in all hours to get their pkgs. Even 8 and 9 at night. Basic is supposed to be delivered on the first attempt regardless. That is why it is basic. The driver that didn't release your pkg was wrong and I would have called customer service back and made sure they clearly understood that you did not request a will call and the pkg needed to be redelivered per the guidelines of basic del. In other words leave the fricking pkg at the door.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You have no Idea what the circumstances where for this particular delivery, how can you say the driver was wrong!! It could be driver made a smart "decision". I know this is something UPS is trying to eliminate, actual thinking, but good drivers can still do it!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Yoy have no Idea what the circumstances where for this particular delivery, how can you say the driver was wrong!! It could be driver made a smart "decision". I know this is something UPS is trying to eliminate, actual thinking, but good drivers can still do it!!
You may be right. My post was based on what I have been told about basic. Basically it gets delivered it does not get brought back. It is what it is.

brownrodster

which I've never confirmed or anything. Worst thing is that 'UPS Basic' doesn't offer redelivery. Since I work during the day, It is impossible for me to go down to UPS facility and pick-up. Is there anyway to get item re-delivered instead? What should I do now? :angry:

My UPS station isn't even open during the day. Here you can come in until 830 PM and pick up packages.

brownrodster

Part of the training also includes that when a driver can't make the delivery for discretionary reasons. I also use this discretion in some of my more "economically challenged" neighborhoods. One of there two scenarios may have been the case here.

Best advice I ever got from a senior driver went something like: If it's a driver release I don't want it back on my truck tomorrow, I don't care how ghetto the neighborhood is.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Best advice I ever got from a senior driver went something like: If it's a driver release I don't want it back on my truck tomorrow, I don't care how ghetto the neighborhood is.
Scenario I outlined has the package going in will call, so it won't be back in the load the next day. Personally I don't care if a package is back in load again the next day. If it isn't that one it'll be another. I just try to use good judgement in order to CYA.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Our training is not what you have described. 3 attempts and it is returned unless it is a sig req.

And as far as the OP is concerned we have customers that come in all hours to get their pkgs. Even 8 and 9 at night. Basic is supposed to be delivered on the first attempt regardless. That is why it is basic. The driver that didn't release your pkg was wrong and I would have called customer service back and made sure they clearly understood that you did not request a will call and the pkg needed to be redelivered per the guidelines of basic del. In other words leave the fricking pkg at the door.
Next time you have a basic package sheet it then hit the nondelivery soft key and read the prompt. You'll see what I was talking about.

brownrodster

Scenario I outlined has the package going in will call, so it won't be back in the load the next day. Personally I don't care if a package is back in load again the next day. If it isn't that one it'll be another. I just try to use good judgement in order to CYA.

But the moral of the story is get rid of the package on the first attempt.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We are taught to leave it- it is on the shipper if it disappears.
That may be. Fact is it's not the shipper that has to deal with that person face to face and explain why they didn't have enough sense to do the obvious. It is the shipper that sends the replacement package other than basic. I believe that I'm doing right by all involved when incorporating a little common sense, or as the DIAD prompt calls it, driver discretion.

John19841

What if you have...say, an apartment complex that DR is not allowed. I mean where it actually will not let you DR it in the board. You can't DR it then, Basic or not.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What if you have...say, an apartment complex that DR is not allowed. I mean where it actually will not let you DR it in the board. You can't DR it then, Basic or not.
This is true. We have a few customers that are like that. It is usually due to a high rate of claims. In this case we have to get signatures for everything.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You can do it by using the soft key option labeled "rel num". Not sure how that works because I wouldn't do it. If it prohibited from DR's in your DIAD it's for a reason and not a safe place to release packages without a signature.

BROWN430

You can still dr a package for apt. complex that is "no dr allowed" There is an option on one of the buttons that gives you a "release number" for those places that are "no dr allowed" I don't have my DIAD with me so I dont remember what button but it lets You dr.