"UPS Basic Service"

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
When have a basic pkg , can't del I will sheet NI 1 and go back the next day. I never bring the pkg to the clerks for will call but I know that option there.

John19841

You can still dr a package for apt. complex that is "no dr allowed" There is an option on one of the buttons that gives you a "release number" for those places that are "no dr allowed" I don't have my DIAD with me so I dont remember what button but it lets You dr.

And what exactly do you put in for a Release Number? I'm under the assumption that typing ANYTHING in there would be falsification?

I also sheet it as NI1 and leave it on the truck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The release number used to be the reverse of the last 3 digits that we recorded for that pkg when we were on paper. I was not aware that there was a release number function on the DIAD.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
i always take my ink pen and circle the wording"shipper release" just in case some one sees it and thinks we are someone like dhl or fedex who would leave anything anywhere.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When have a basic pkg , can't del I will sheet NI 1 and go back the next day. I never bring the pkg to the clerks for will call but I know that option there.

And what exactly do you put in for a Release Number? I'm under the assumption that typing ANYTHING in there would be falsification?

If you notice when you hit the nondelivery key a prompt screen pops up that instructs you to indicate on del notice that this is the final attempt and to place package in will call.

Why wouldn't you follow these instructions?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
What if you have...say, an apartment complex that DR is not allowed. I mean where it actually will not let you DR it in the board. You can't DR it then, Basic or not.
Then sheet it as not in one and bring it back the next day.

The release number automatically pops up and you just hit enter.

BROWN430

In our DIAD the dr release number pops up when you hit the apropriate key. We were told to never ever bring these packages back. "WORKING AS DIRECTED" LMAO

OVERBOARD

If you notice when you hit the nondelivery key a prompt screen pops up that instructs you to indicate on del notice that this is the final attempt and to place package in will call.

Why wouldn't you follow these instructions?
Because of driver discretion, believe it or not but sometimes we are aloud to use our brains.
For instances a basic pkg for a business that is closed , why not just del the next day, instead of leaving it in the middle of main st, also you do get driver follow ups for a basic pkg its happen to me before.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Here's a perfect example of a basic package I put in will call today because of "driver discretion". Should I have just left the package on the outside porch of this 8 unit apartment building? It's a locked security building on a busy street and I couldn't get in. I don't think that Lands End box would have lasted long.
11172009034.jpg

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Because of driver discretion, believe it or not but sometimes we are aloud to use our brains.
For instances a basic pkg for a business that is closed , why not just del the next day, instead of leaving it in the middle of main st, also you do get driver follow ups for a basic pkg its happen to me before.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
The methods allow us discretion in deciding whether to leave it or not.
But the DIAD instructions are specific about putting them in will call.
As I've often stated, I don't sweat send agains.
If it's not that package, it's another.
I do applaud your choice not to leave the package in a compromised location.
The moral behind the method is as it always is, the bottom line, profit.
That's what I call using my brain "aloud".
Sorry Hoaxster, beat you to it.

OVERBOARD

Here's a perfect example of a basic package I put in will call today because of "driver discretion". Should I have just left the package on the outside porch of this 8 unit apartment building? It's a locked security building on a busy street and I couldn't get in. I don't think that Lands End box would have lasted long.
I would've left a info notice ni 1 but that's just me, I don't follow direction very good, all in the name of customer service.:happy2:

OVERBOARD

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
The methods allow us discretion in deciding whether to leave it or not.
But the DIAD instructions are specific about putting them in will call.
As I've often stated, I don't sweat send agains.
If it's not that package, it's another.
I do applaud your choice not to leave the package in a compromised location.
The moral behind the method is as it always is, the bottom line, profit.
That's what I call using my brain "aloud".
Sorry Hoaxster, beat you to it.
Well maybe I shouldn't be allowed to.

BROWN430

Will have to agree on that one. Every case is diff. But that is what the shipper paid for.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree with you BH, another day, another attempt. BTW, why is the middle section of your body missing in this picture you took? Are you human or an apparition?

attachment.php

Dustyroads

There are always exceptions to the rule. One comes to mind, in my rural area I had about 15 basic packages for three post offices on Veteran's Day. I didn't leave them in the lobby of the Post Office. Interestingly, no prompt came up telling me to do anything special with them, just another Closed H.

I did have a prompt come up once for BASIC service when the barcode was actually on a Damage Call Tag. No one was home. I had to hit override a few times on that one, maybe even an Escape button or two.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I agree with you BH, another day, another attempt. BTW, why is the middle section of your body missing in this picture you took? Are you human or an apparition?

attachment.php

I blocked that part out to preserve the family atmosphere of this site.
Didn't want to hear you guys hitting me with "hey Bubble is that pickle in your pocket".

RanMan

What if you have...say, an apartment complex that DR is not allowed. I mean where it actually will not let you DR it in the board. You can't DR it then, Basic or not.

After you scan the pkg go to the street and override it. You can then DR the pkg.

John19841

After you scan the pkg go to the street and override it. You can then DR the pkg.

I think until I'm actually told otherwise, I'll keep on bringing 'em back. Apartment complexes are usually blocked from DR for a reason. All of these ways around the block seem to me as they could be viewed in a bad way. Let's say you DR to an apartment complex that is blocked. While technically, you are supposed to be able to DR a basic anywhere, if that package gets stolen and the customer calls in a complaint, does anyone here really think that management is not going to inquire as to why you DR to a place that was specifically blocked from doing that?

No one is going to care what cute ways you could find to override that...