UPS body shop

Was interviewed for a body shop position at UPS in Detroit was wondering if anyone here works there and how they like it. Hopefully it’s ok asking. Thanks.

detmaintainer

Detroit Maintenance Rat
It's a good job. Three body guys working there now. One is retiring any day. It's a Mon. thru Friday position. Starts at $32 an hour and $41+ in 2 years. Retirement and no cost insurance also. I heard the plan is to have a total of 6 guys. 3 days 3 afternoons. The supervisor is good to work for. They usually send the body guys out to other centers for 2 or 3 months during peak.

I’m in paint shop now I do light body work and mostly paint work, was wondering how hard they get hit or if you know extent of damages. Thanks again.

Karma...

the pe folks and auto/feeder folks are in the i.a.m union not the teamsters. thats makes a huge difference on their pay and benefits....at one time they received cola for their pensions..I dont know if this holds true across america....my dad was in the i.a.m as a machinist (not ups ) and was very happy with his union.

detmaintainer

Detroit Maintenance Rat
I’m in paint shop now I do light body work and mostly paint work, was wondering how hard they get hit or if you know extent of damages. Thanks again.
Mostly light damage and crease repairs. Bent front bumpers and fiberglass damage to the hoods on the older trucks.

Well was all set to start working at UPS everything was set for me to start but I got cold feet and started procrastinating. And the door closed, guess I don’t do change well I do regret not going but I still have my job at the dealership but thanks guys for the help.

rod

Retired 22 years
SMH --- you stayed at a dealership? Do you make more than 32 bucks an hour plus great benefits there? I think you screwed the pooch on that decision. If you are a good body man you could get a job most anywhere so why didn't you give UPS a chance?

SMH --- you stayed at a dealership? Do you make more than 32 bucks an hour plus great benefits there? I think you screwed the pooch on that decision. If you are a good body man you could get a job most anywhere so why didn't you give UPS a chance?
Maybe because the hiring process is so disorganized. Advertise for a body shop position and offer you a preload job with the option to bid a FT job in your field. Maybe. Sometime.

It came down to the commute it was 32 miles, I’m 3 miles now from my current job and it was an afternoon shift. I’ve been on days for 30 years. It would’ve been a pretty good pay cut also to start. At my age, (I’m in my early 50’s) not sure I was willing to give up money now, not sure how much of pension I’d qualify for being I’ll probably work 9 more years, was trying very hard to weigh it out. If I had been younger I’d have went I’m sure for the benefits, for me it was a few sleepless nights. Turned out to be a lot tougher decision than when I first applied. I do regret at least not giving it a shot just couldn’t come to a solid decision, could always end up back in a dealership they’re always looking for body and paint guys.