UPS capacity restrictions may provide some longer-term logistics takeaways

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS capacity restrictions may provide some longer-term logistics takeaways - Logistics Management

An article in The Wall Street Journal this week explained that freight transportation and logistics bellwether UPS “imposed shipping restrictions” a few large retailers like Gap Inc., LL Bean, Nike, and a few others should not come as a total surprise.

The reason for that, as we all know, is that with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic leading to a major increase in online shopping, parcel networks have been constrained and restricted, in terms of the amount of available capacity they have, like never before. That is as plain as day.

What’s more, this frenetic e-commerce activity is going to remain fully intact through the holiday season and into the new year, too, when factoring in the impact of reverse logistics operations driven by returns, no surprise there. If you need more proof of that, then consider this statistic from the National Retail Federation that was included in the WSJ article: “The National Retail Federation estimated that online shopping jumped 44% over a recent five-day stretch that included Black Friday and Cyber Monday.” That is astounding but not entirely surprising either, given the world we are living in these days.

Karma...

thats true.......in the old vintage days we would do everything, work any hours, and get the job/service done.....that includes working Xmas Day..........I was hoping the S for Service would be put back in.........

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
thats true.......in the old vintage days we would do everything, work any hours, and get the job/service done.....that includes working Xmas Day..........I was hoping the S for Service would be put back in.........
You wouldn’t find more than ten people to work Christmas Day. Outta your mind.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Most years that I have seen when we roll trailers towards Christmas, and things get stressful trying to get caught up, it is corporate's fault.

Lack of planning, lack of hiring, lack of understanding.

I will not sacrifice my Christmas morning because corporate worships the shareholders above providing good service.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
I like this.... "Better, not bigger" way of going.

It's about time UPS stepped up and told retailers what we can do for them realistically.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
They are telling the wrong people to go friend* off
They didn't tell anyone to friend off. They set limits ahead of time so volume can be better managed. Is it fair to allow large retailers to blow up the UPS system because they can't mangage their business? Everyone else would get screwed including the mom & pop businesses and the rest of the customers.

It is quality over quantity. I know you like to go out brick-loaded and bring back service failures but you shouldn't have to. Maybe this way of doing business by not crushing the system will help. Time will tell.

Service, service, service. Now get back to work. :rolleyes: :wink-very:

They didn't tell anyone to friend off. They set limits ahead of time so volume can be better managed. Is it fair to allow large retailers to blow up the UPS system because they can't mangage their business? Everyone else would get screwed including the mom & pop businesses and the rest of the customers.

It is quality over quantity. I know you like to go out brick-loaded and bring back service failures but you shouldn't have to. Maybe this way of doing business by not crushing the system will help. Time will tell.

Service, service, service. Now get back to work. :rolleyes: :wink-very:
I'm already done for the day.
and I wasn't referring to them shutting off the shippers

We have a lot of customers that aren't taking care of because of the stupid games they play at this place because of the stupid games they play at this place