UPS cargo Plane goes down in Dubai

705red

Browncafe Steward
Its a sad day when anyone passes away. Its an even sadder day when we lose two of our own. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of all involved.

ddomino

I have never heard of "the UPS Family Assistance Team" referred to in the press release at UPS.com. Has anyone else?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have never heard of "the UPS Family Assistance Team" referred to in the press release at UPS.com. Has anyone else?
I heard it at the pcm, I would love to be part of that team. Its what I was made for. Im glad we have one, and glad its not often needed.

bitter to the bone

:sad-very: I was very saddened when I heard of the loss of two of our pilots (having been on vacation-I just heard about it last night at work). I am glad that I didn't see the deleted posts . Thank you Cheryl for deleting them.

At this time, the families of the pilots who lost their lives need the positive support of every UPS'er out there and shouldn't have to be subjected to crass and disparaging remarks made about the incident or their family member. No one knows if the familes have access to the BC messageboard or not, but we always should assume that they do and be on our best behavior.

My condolences and prayers go out to the families of the pilots. Please know that there are many UPS'ers that care and share your sadness-your family members were a part of our family too-the family of UPS

Floridacargocat

The best source of information is IMHO not a news organization, but the corresponding authority, who issued the preliminary report.

The description of flight movement until the bitter end is fairly good, but
Why the accident really happened has not yet been published by GCAA.
The report by GCAA does mention Li-batteries in equipment (which are exempted from Dangerous Goods regulations due some very specific aspects) as well as Li-batteries which required a Class 9 classification (in plain English, undeclared hazmat).
There are more questions than answers to this preliminary report.
The positive aspect of this most unfortunate accident is that UPS aircraft will get a major upgrade in emergency equipment for the cockpit personnel (Fedex and other major cargo carriers already have this upgrade).
When you are monitoring all these incidents, you will come to a conclusion like:
- So far, no passenger aircraft hasd been lost due to Li-battery incidents (however there were some extremely close calls).
- Once this happens, the legislator (in the US and in other countries) will issue some serious modifications of HazMat regulations. Will it be for Air transport only? Or will it include Ground, Rail, Water too?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The positive aspect of this most unfortunate accident is that UPS aircraft will get a major upgrade in emergency equipment for the cockpit personnel (Fedex and other major cargo carriers already have this upgrade).
Which begs the question......for a company that on the surface appears to really make the safety of its employees a number one concern, why do we lack pilot safety equipment that other competitors have already installed in their fleet? Or do we, as a company, wait for something tragic like this to move forward with the upgrades that should have already been done.

Please understand, not trying to be the sunday armchair QB, but have seen happenings like this before UPS takes action on an issue they had prior knowledge of being a problem.

d

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
UPS will go all out on their safety upgrades. All new aircraft will be fitted with shoulder harnesses on their seatbelts.