UPS Castration of Drivers or Just Low Testosterone?

slantnosechevy

Everybody has been there, but you can't loose your cool and you can't load the gun for them.You should've stood there as long as it took then call them and tell them that you're going to have service failures because of it. Put the ball in their court. Make them supervise. At that time of the day they're looking to get the h*ll out of there and leave the OMS to run the show.

InsideUPS

Teamsters are lining up their "digital" thugs in preparation for contract talks.

Let me put this in simple terms.......

I've observed grown men and women cower for their jobs at UPS for the past 34 years (both management and hourly). It disgusts me when I see power hungry individuals intimidate and harass employees (both management and hourly) because of some deep inferiority complex they most likely had since childhood. While I have no problem holding employees accountable, I do have a problem when excessive and unprofessional discipline is administered to honest, hard working, and sincere employees. Playing armchair quarterback is always easy. Getting that next "stripe" doesn't always mean you have to go after someone's job.

Viewing employee relations from the top down (from Atalanta) isn't always the same as looking from the bottom up. I simply believe that more individuals at UPS need to review Policy Group 2 of the UPS Policy Book...... (page 23)

https://ep.upsers.com/ep-s/upsers/w...df126eb1a100/34863_Policy_ENG.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

We Build Our Organization Around People.
Our most valuable resource is loyal and capable people. The strength of
our company is our people, working together with a common purpose.
All of our people, through the jobs they perform, make important
contributions to our company.

The Milkman

We Build Our Organization Around People.
Our most valuable resource is loyal and capable people. The strength of
our company is our people, working together with a common purpose.
All of our people, through the jobs they perform, make important
contributions to our company.[/QUOTE]

What Company we talking about??:confused2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had my breaking point tonight with ups. Long story short I waited 15 mins for a check bw 425 and 440. I told them I have other pick ups and businesses to del sorry you'll get it on Monday. Got a message to go back I said I didn't have time. Got another saying I had to and to be "nice." I replied with "No fire me." another driver came and got the package I punched out at 9 was told I would be paid for my lunch ( not counting on it ) friend'em this isn't the only place hiring now.

Was there any way that you could have put that stop in prerecord, made some of your pickups and then gone back to complete the delivery? I agree 100% that waiting 15 minutes for a check is absurd---however, the way that you handled the situation is equally absurd. I would have left the COD information with the consignee, asked them how much time they would need to write the check(s) and gone back. If on the second attempt they were still not ready I would have sheeted the package(s) as NM 1 and gone on my way. Wasting 15 minutes waiting for a check tells me that you failed to take charge of the delivery, which is one of the first things that we are taught to do. You also need to be careful what you send on the DIAD as they do print out the messages and put them in your file.

Where else are you going to go and make $32/hr w/full benefits?

alwaysoverallowed

This isn't the first time I've had a problem here with them. It's been an on-going thing with them and they intentionally take forever because they know can get away with it. I've been there so long I have had late air, missed pick-ups, missed businesses and every time I get the shaft. I didn't want to take it again last night.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
This isn't the first time I've had a problem here with them. It's been an on-going thing with them and they intentionally take forever because they know can get away with it. I've been there so long I have had late air, missed pick-ups, missed businesses and every time I get the shaft. I didn't want to take it again last night.

Deliver them 2 minutes before they close. Now the delay will be on their time.

Notretiredyet

We all have one or more stops like yours, slow on COD's never ready at pick-up time. Talk with your management team regarding this issue and work as instructed. More than likely they're gonna tell you not to wait, especially if it results in service failures because of it. Either way let your management team make the call, and never ever send a diad message refusing a direct order or you'll have a bigger issue real soon.

probellringer

make them the missed...

jaker

trolling
Like someone said before , this is a very long game we play

Sometimes we fight and sometimes we don't and your game is a lot different then the guy next to you

You can't fight every time all the time , the goal for me is fight to where you are not screwed over but you are not killing yourself

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do your cover drivers have the same issues with this delivery stop or is it just you?

over9five

Staff member
Deliver them 2 minutes before they close. Now the delay will be on their time.
This is the best solution. Then when they ask you why their delivery is so late, you can honestly tell them "I'm sorry, I can't let your delaying me cause my other customers to be missed".

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
We all have one or more stops like yours, slow on COD's never ready at pick-up time. Talk with your management team regarding this issue and work as instructed. More than likely they're gonna tell you not to wait, especially if it results in service failures because of it. Either way let your management team make the call, and never ever send a diad message refusing a direct order or you'll have a bigger issue real soon.

In my experience management will say exactly what you say they will until the customer calls in a complaint.Then the story will change and you'll be told to go back,wait,etc and of course the next morning the supe will forget all about that and want to know why you are Overallowed.
I try not to piss the customer off because they will either A)think getting you worked up is funny and will do it over and over or B) they can cause trouble calling in complaints. I dont like wasting time or energy with management over ' stupid people' issues . ya aint gonna win when they call in,no matter how right you are
If told to go back or wait then work as directed and in the future get there 5 minutes before they close,or if you feel you have to stick to your schedule then inform the center you will have late air,missed PU's etc BECAUSE of this customers actions.
dont send in angry messages,keep emotions out of it. Put the issue squarely in Management's lap and dont stress out over situations you cant control

I often say if i win the lottery there are several businesses on my route i'd buy just to fire everyone who works there

InsideUPS

Put the issue squarely in Management's lap and dont stress out over situations you cant control

The above comment should be the mantra of every UPS hourly employee...

CYA (communicate, document, etc.)......transfer the stress of impossible tasks back to management. Upper UPS management often sets up it's own lower management and hourly for failure. I truly feel sorry for lower and middle management in addition to the hourly. Each employee along the chain of command is often asked to do impossible tasks with limited people, equipment, and/or time.

A

anonymous6

It's not their fault.
It's either they harass, or are shown the door.
If it's not your manager harassing, it'll be another when the door re-opens.

that's what all the guards said at the Neuremburg trials " I was only following orders"

i guess that makes it OK.

if any of these managers had an ounce of integrity, they would say " go to hell. I quit ! "

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
that's what all the guards said at the Neuremburg trials " I was only following orders"

i guess that makes it OK.

if any of these managers had any balls, they would make their own (correct) decisions, document everything, and stand up for themselves.

*fix'd that for you.

BTW, management can't actually get fired as easily as people imply. You do things the right way and can prove it, then you are fine. And hey, maybe you can even sleep at night....

InsideUPS

if any of these managers had an ounce of integrity, they would say " go to hell. I quit ! "

Many of the good UPS management employees have left and have been replaced with non-stock receiving "supervisor look a-likes" with significantly less benefits. UPS upper management (Atlanta) continues to whittle away both hourly and management positions through telematics, etc.. I respected the "pre-IPO" management teams far more than the inexperienced people that now run many of the operations. It never ceases to amaze me when I see/hear newly hired part-time OMS employees directing experienced drivers over the phone without any area knowledge whatsoever.

"Atlanta" (Corporate) continues to make cuts wherever and whenever possible in order to maintain profits. Good management teams cost money and most of them took the buyout years ago. The remaining "grunt" operation supervisors are in name only. They have NO decision making power whatsoever and consequently live in a constant battle between upper management and hourly employees. The integrity of these low level supervisors has been buried in fear or never existed in the first place. Make no doubt about it....if we're not at the big oval table in Atlanta.....we are all (Hourly & Region/District Management) just pawns in this Big Corporate world of delivery.