UPS CFO announces layoffs in 09

sosocal

During the earnings call today the CFO announnced layoffs are likely for 2009 - obvioulsy as volume drops there are driver layoffs and inside PTers, but I think this is MGT directed - Now the rumors of collapsing 10 districts is making sense - Glad I am not in a redundant staff position in one of the targeted Districts...

drewed

Shankman
I think its more admin related, i imagine just because of the payroll in change in pt sups you could cut probably 20 jobs just on that, theres a lot of redundatcy in UPS

Channahon

UPS will do everything it can to save costs in this horrible economy. Layoffs have never, ever been announced, while I worked for UPS 1978-2006, so this is very serious issue for all UPSer's.

UPS has also been consolidating districts and regions since the mid 90's and will consider to do so, to streamline management, real estate and technology support. So no surprise there.

Many baby boomers have spent their entire working life and UPS and my thoughts would be as they retire, both Union, Non Management and Management, they will not be replaced, unless volume warrants the position.

It is an ugly world out there right now economically, and no one knows when it will end or get back to where we were a couple years ago. Could take months or years, depending on what you read. The economy may never be as we've known it, who knows?

For the first time in my life, I can say all Americans are screwed, regardless of your financial status. The rich are getting poor, the middle class is gone, and the poor can't afford anything anymore. Even the welfare recepients in my state are crying they need more money, as they can't make ends meet. What a mess!!!

atatbl

I dont want this to be a rumor, but would the likelyhood that theyll do EROs for management to get them off the books?

If by "get them off the book" you mean cost UPS more money, than yes. I know EROs help financially, but I do not think they would save a company money in our current economy.

The only situation you would really want to take one in would be a certain chance of a lay off of your position. But, that is redundant.

some1else

Banned
if a union represented employee is laid off; they would have to be brought back before ups could hire anyone else into that building right?

i would imagine otherwise it could be viewed as "union busting" to lay-off and then hire new employees; even if the layoffs where initially justified.

rushfan

I've heard that the Utah-Idaho District will be "abolished". The Utah part will go to Sac-valley area, and the Idaho part will go to the Portland District. I'll elaborate on it to you BSUUPS if you want.

PPH

I've heard things such as the company beiong realigned into four regions and the current WR being collapsed into the other four, or three because of the geographic location of the northeast. Those of you sitting in sweet "redundant" district positions better shape up.

tieguy

Banned
rumors abound of one region and 10 districts going down. west region is expected to be the one. many possibles on the district side. would not be surprised to see some type of buyout to reduce the number of divison and higher level managers.

UPS Lifer

UPS will do everything it can to save costs in this horrible economy. Layoffs have never, ever been announced, while I worked for UPS 1978-2006, so this is very serious issue for all UPSer's.

UPS has also been consolidating districts and regions since the mid 90's and will consider to do so, to streamline management, real estate and technology support. So no surprise there.

Many baby boomers have spent their entire working life and UPS and my thoughts would be as they retire, both Union, Non Management and Management, they will not be replaced, unless volume warrants the position.

It is an ugly world out there right now economically, and no one knows when it will end or get back to where we were a couple years ago. Could take months or years, depending on what you read. The economy may never be as we've known it, who knows?

For the first time in my life, I can say all Americans are screwed, regardless of your financial status. The rich are getting poor, the middle class is gone, and the poor can't afford anything anymore. Even the welfare recepients in my state are crying they need more money, as they can't make ends meet. What a mess!!!

Can't agree with you more on this one! The one thing you can say is the company will streamline itself and make the tough decisions to stop the bleeding.

In the long run, it will help keep the company profitable and limit the amount of layoffs to a minimum. Current employees should take solace in knowing the company is acting responsibly to maintain profitability and just as important ... jobs!

Apollo

I've heard that the Utah-Idaho District will be "abolished". The Utah part will go to Sac-valley area, and the Idaho part will go to the Portland District. I'll elaborate on it to you BSUUPS if you want.

I don't think the Utah district will be taken out, in fact i think it might be getting bigger. I've heard a TON of rumors about UPS buying a large amount of land just south of the Great Salt Lake, near the airport. I've also been told that's why my hub isn't getting the repairs/new equipment it desperately needs. Though I could also see them just making up a rumor so we don't all just up and quit.

Pip

I might be wrong on this, but it may have already started. The mid-Atlantic region was dissolved, I believe at the beginning of the year. I think most of it was re-aligned to the Southeast and Northeast regions.