UPS Commits to Hire 25,000 Veterans

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Supporting First Lady Michelle Obama's "Joining Forces Initiative," UPS to also serve 25,000 volunteer hours

UPS (NYSE: UPS) today announced that it is making a commitment to hire more than 25,000 veterans over the next five years as well as committing to serve more than 25,000 employee volunteer hours helping veterans and Veterans Service Organizations (VSO).

UPS made the announcement in cooperation with the Obama Administration initiative "Joining Forces," a program dedicated to connecting our servicemen and women, veterans and military spouses with the critical resources they need to find high-value jobs at home. At the Business Roundtable today First Lady Michelle Obama, who is leading the Joining Forces initiative, called out UPS as a corporate leader committed to supporting our troops.

"We appreciate First Lady Michelle Obama's recognition. The Joining Forces initiative is an important and natural extension of UPS's outward and visible support of the men and women that serve in the military," said Chairman and CEO Scott Davis. "Men and women who were prepared to give all a person can give, and with devotion and gallantry, were ready to sacrifice. Veterans, who through their service, honored their nation, should know that UPS can and wants their talents and skills to be recognized and valued."

UPS will further enhance its commitment by helping veterans transition into the civilian workforce through increased networking opportunities. This includes forming new alliances with VSOs, working through government outreach efforts to veterans, establishing Veteran Business Resource Groups to ensure critical resources are available within UPS and by enhancing the level of recognition for employees who have so honorably served. Veterans, National Guard and Reserve members make up 7.5 percent of UPS's domestic workforce.

UPS is highly recognized for its support of the military services. UPS has twice received the Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award, the nation's highest recognition for employers supporting National Guard and Reserve members.

In February, 2013, UPS reaffirmed its commitment for the Guard and Reserves by signing a formal Statement of Support with the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, an agency of the U.S. Department of Defense.

Additionally, UPS historically supports veteran's organizations through sponsorships, donations and volunteer hours throughout the country including at the National Veterans Wheelchair Games, the Marine Corps Marathon and through Paralyzed Veterans of America programs among others.

InsideUPS

Supporting First Lady Michelle Obama's "Joining Forces Initiative," UPS to also serve 25,000 volunteer hours

UPS (NYSE: UPS) today announced that it is making a commitment to hire more than 25,000 veterans over the next five years as well as committing to serve more than 25,000 employee volunteer hours helping veterans and Veterans Service Organizations (VSO).

UPS made the announcement in cooperation with the Obama Administration initiative "Joining Forces," a program dedicated to connecting our servicemen and women, veterans and military spouses with the critical resources they need to find high-value jobs at home.

In February, 2013, UPS reaffirmed its commitment for the Guard and Reserves by signing a formal Statement of Support with the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, an agency of the U.S. Department of Defense.

This will be interesting to monitor over time. I wonder if they will keep count as well as they have done in the creation of the 22.3 jobs?.. It will also be interesting to see in what capacity these 5000 new employees each year will serve.

Thanks for the story Cheryl...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This will be interesting to monitor over time. I wonder if they will keep count as well as they have done in the creation of the 22.3 jobs?.. It will also be interesting to see in what capacity these 5000 new employees each year will serve.

Thanks for the story Cheryl...

I assumed it would be part-time.
Get them going until they can find a career job.
Union will block any Full-Time jobs.

InsideUPS

Kind of a shame Hoax if the IBT does block FT jobs for them......personally....I believe it would be nice to integrate them into the work force. I would like to think that the IBT would make some exceptions here.... There are two aspects in going "above and beyond" to hiring veterans.... The first is the PR aspect...and the second and most important in my mind is the moral aspect.. I'm from the Vietnam era so I appreciate all that our veterans have done, and continue to do for us.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
How would the Union Block full time jobs? There is a 6:1 ratio for off the street Full Time positions.
In my center it might as well be 100 to one because we havent added a FT driver since 2009

InsideUPS

Havent our troops gone through enough? The should get rewarded not punished!

You know "Ive GOTTA PACKAGE 4U.... you have a good point.. I really don't think hiring veterans for $8.50/hour....3.5 hour guarantee... no family benefits for 18 months is doing them any favors. I'm not really sure how individuals inflicted with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) would do at UPS..

The cynical side of me suspects that this announcement is strictly a "Public Relations" move on the part of UPS.

I agree with the previous entry. Pure Public relations. They were on the flag waving PR kick in the beginning right after 9-11, too,but that didn't last long. I was called up and when I returned back to work, it only took 9 months to get my health and retirement benefits reinstated. Yes, 9 months.....Thanks for your service!!!! I had to get the ESGR and Dept of Labor involved.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

UPS made the announcement in cooperation with the Obama Administration initiative "Joining Forces," a program dedicated to connecting our servicemen and women, veterans and military spouses with the critical resources they need to find high-value jobs at home. At the Business Roundtable today First Lady Michelle Obama, who is leading the Joining Forces initiative, called out UPS as a corporate leader committed to supporting our troops.

"We appreciate First Lady Michelle Obama's recognition. The Joining Forces initiative is an important and natural extension of UPS's outward and visible support of the men and women that serve in the military," said Chairman and CEO Scott Davis. "Men and women who were prepared to give all a person can give, and with devotion and gallantry, were ready to sacrifice. Veterans, who through their service, honored their nation, should know that UPS can and wants their talents and skills to be recognized and valued."

UPS will further enhance its commitment by helping veterans transition into the civilian workforce through increased networking opportunities. This includes forming new alliances with VSOs, working through government outreach efforts to veterans, establishing Veteran Business Resource Groups to ensure critical resources are available within UPS and by enhancing the level of recognition for employees who have so honorably served. Veterans, National Guard and Reserve members make up 7.5 percent of UPS's domestic workforce.

UPS is highly recognized for its support of the military services. UPS has twice received the Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award, the nation's highest recognition for employers supporting National Guard and Reserve members.

Additionally, UPS historically supports veteran's organizations through sponsorships, donations and volunteer hours throughout the country including at the National Veterans Wheelchair Games, the Marine Corps Marathon and through Paralyzed Veterans of America programs among others.

InsideUPS

In regard to:

UPS (NYSE: UPS) today announced that it is making a commitment to hire more than 25,000 veterans over the next five years as well as committing to serve more than 25,000 employee volunteer hours helping veterans and Veterans Service Organizations"

1) What type of jobs will UPS place these 25,000 veterans in? Full-time? Part-time? Management? Hourly?

2) Not to be skeptical but who will monitor the creation of these jobs? UPS also made a commitment in 1997 to the Teamsters to create 10,000 jobs....

Sounds good for PR but in all actuality, I have serious doubts about whether or not UPS will actually hire 25,000 veterans over the next five years.

In regard to:

UPS (NYSE: UPS) today announced that it is making a commitment to hire more than 25,000 veterans over the next five years as well as committing to serve more than 25,000 employee volunteer hours helping veterans and Veterans Service Organizations"

1) What type of jobs will UPS place these 25,000 veterans in? Full-time? Part-time? Management? Hourly?

2) Not to be skeptical but who will monitor the creation of these jobs? UPS also made a commitment in 1997 to the Teamsters to create 10,000 jobs....

Sounds good for PR but in all actuality, I have serious doubts about whether or not UPS will actually hire 25,000 veterans over the next five years.

I don't think its going to happen! The COE might say whatever he wants, The reality is totally opposite to what Ups is about!