UPS Diary:

maxicoze

check%206-15_zpspnw2bfks.jpg

Air conditioning on my assigned truck has been fixed, so that is helpful.

Attachments

• check 6-15.jpg
    check 6-15.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 763

sppollock

I'm confused, when you post this to a site that is mostly package and the make at least $5.00/hr then us in package at top rate and they have much better benefits, why make them laugh at us? I see you posting this on other sites and still don't understand the reasoning behind it. If your going to post something give me a reasonable explanation why you are posting it, right now your just embarrassing yourself with this crap on this site, they make way more then us.

maxicoze

Yes, pack makes more----and they have WAY more stress. i would not want to work at pack (and i used to work there). i don't think it's comparing apples to apples.

My reasons for posting are to give an ACCURATE description of how it is at UPS freight. Information one can USE. Not just one or two liner smart butt responses. REAL INFORMATION.

Last edited:

maxicoze

P.S.
1) How does the average UPSFreighter feel at the end of the day vs. the average smallpacker? i would venture to bet much more positive than the smallpacker.

a) When was the last time a freighter shot up a terminal vs. a smallpacker (many, many times and unfortunately probably won't be the last........................)

12-21 stops per day vs. 200+. Ain't worth it in my opinion.

Duckwithapipboy

P.S.
1) How does the average UPSFreighter feel at the end of the day vs. the average smallpacker? i would venture to bet much more positive than the smallpacker.

a) When was the last time a freighter shot up a terminal vs. a smallpacker (many, many times and unfortunately probably won't be the last........................)

12-21 stops per day vs. 200+. Ain't worth it in my opinion.
I feel quite dandy, how about you?

sppollock

Are you crazy? What type of idiot brings up what happened to OUR co-workers and compares that stuff to us. Are you also telling me that your terrific terminal doesn't try to send you into residential areas with a 48 foot trailer in places that a 32 footer is the biggest that should go into. How about 13 hour forced days because your OM wont hire people, so he can get his numbers. You must work in the best terminal in the system because I don't know one person country wide who isn't stressed due to this company.

maxicoze

i haven't taken any intelligence tests lately, so no, i don't think i'm crazy.

i, in no way, implied that my terminal is perfect. Yes, we do get sent into tight areas, both commercial and residential. We do have patches of weeks with very long days.

What i was trying to say was that freight, while it can be stressful no doubt, is LESS stressful than package (and yes, i've worked at package as well).

i would be willing to bet that an Overnite/upsfreight terminal has never been under siege, while unfortunately, not only can the same not be said concerning a package facility, it has happened several times, and unfortunately won't be the last.........

check%20888_zpsfii6vthp.jpg

maxicoze

UPDATE:
More fun, more money, more automatics.
We bid on new routes and started them. i'm on xtra board now. Much more fun and variety. i should break 65K at least, this year. Possibly more. i'll be getting another raise in about a month.

i have to admit that lately i was a little depressed (only a little) concerning the situation here; i thought----was this it? Just running this route (which wasn't bad) all day, not having a whole lot of time to do much else after work for ok, but not great pay. Then the weekend comes and since there's no time to do anything during the weekdays, then the weekend goes by too fast. Then wash, rinse and repeat.

But the new routes give me more money, thus i can pay to get certain things done. Plus, it gives me more energy and spirit to do more things myself during the weekdays.

a) i still don't like Volvo, but i have to admit that these new volvo tractors we got, with automatics are ok.

sppollock

It's nice to see you happy about your job. In 2 years when your at top rate you'll be there going okay less hours is okay, I can make it on 45 hours a week now. I don't see any 401k deductions in there, you might want to start up that, the younger you are the better it will be, I have 401k, stock purchase and also the pension, just a suggestion for when you hit that next 2 raises.

maxicoze

I see you lube the front end, how about the back end?

1) There was none of that----one of them said she "was tired." The other just kinda side-stepped/ignored the issue..........:(

It's nice to see you happy about your job. In 2 years when your at top rate you'll be there going okay less hours is okay, I can make it on 45 hours a week now. I don't see any 401k deductions in there, you might want to start up that, the younger you are the better it will be, I have 401k, stock purchase and also the pension, just a suggestion for when you hit that next 2 raises.

2) As you know, they automatically do a 2% deduction for the 401K----which you have to opt out if you don't want it; i've opted out for a few reasons-----a) i have one at my old job, which i haven't rolled over yet. And b) without getting into too much detail, i think i'm a position where i don't "need" a 401K longterm. Alright, i'll put it on the table----i come from a wealthy family if you know what i'm trying to say. Not Trump-wealthy. But pretty wealthy.

c) Although i come from wealth, it doesn't work like the Trump family----where the kids are given everything. Hence, i'm working---at UPS of all places..... i think it's better i pay my credit card bills down first before investing and even then i think stocks purchases would be better for me than the 401K?

maxicoze

Anyways, last wednesday was pretty stressful with i think a total of 19 stops (del+pu) leaving at 10:30am, the rest of the week was ok. In the three years i've been here, there have maybe been only 2-3 days i DIDN'T have to rush.

It is broiling outside, yet they have been on our case about idling----as in ABSOLUTELY NO IDLING ALLOWED PERIOD. As you can imagine, it is causing a lot of consternation between the drivers and management. Doesn't bother me much as i don't stay in one spot too long.

Indecisi0n

1) There was none of that----one of them said she "was tired." The other just kinda side-stepped/ignored the issue..........:(

2) As you know, they automatically do a 2% deduction for the 401K----which you have to opt out if you don't want it; i've opted out for a few reasons-----a) i have one at my old job, which i haven't rolled over yet. And b) without getting into too much detail, i think i'm a position where i don't "need" a 401K longterm. Alright, i'll put it on the table----i come from a wealthy family if you know what i'm trying to say. Not Trump-wealthy. But pretty wealthy.

c) Although i come from wealth, it doesn't work like the Trump family----where the kids are given everything. Hence, i'm working---at UPS of all places..... i think it's better i pay my credit card bills down first before investing and even then i think stocks purchases would be better for me than the 401K?
Anytime they tell me "I'm tired" I let them know they don't have to be awake for me to get off.