ups discussions

Holydriver

Yes, you would be correct.......this coming from a 30 year member, who is also a steward. It's hard to watch the younger drivers do what I do for a whole lot less. How long with UPS for yourself and what do you do?
Well, as posted earlier in this thread, I left UPS in February after several years of driving. I started off the street, after tearing it up one peak season. They hired me after that. So no loading trucks for me, i just delivered.

I was a year shy of full pay rate when I started deciding this wasn't the life for me and looked for different work which has worked out well so far.

Let me tell you though, it sucks getting abused by UPS for the $16.10 that you get paid an hour for the first month.

By The Book

Well, as posted earlier in this thread, I left UPS in February after several years of driving. I started off the street, after tearing it up one peak season. They hired me after that. So no loading trucks for me, i just delivered.

I was a year shy of full pay rate when I started deciding this wasn't the life for me and looked for different work which has worked out well so far.

Let me tell you though, it sucks getting abused by UPS for the $16.10 that you get paid an hour for the first month.
You left when you were a year from top scale then. That was about a $12.00 jump. I'm sure your reason for leaving was justified to you, I just haven't heard of anyone leaving that close to top scale. So all in all you worked for UPS about 4 years then?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I swear to you, when you get into another job you will be blown away at how you've been treated those 30 years. It really is crazy, and its somewhat depressing to think that that is how we've all lived. Even worse, some people apparently have drank the kool aid. Or at the very least they know that good pay/bemefit is ALL they have at UPS and just grasp onto it to the very end.

Congratulations to you on a good career. And remember, once you leave UPS you'll be treated as human again. And you'll love it.

Thanks for the kind words by the way, and yes, I assume most of the heat is probably coming from those jealous that they didn't get out early
I always noticed there are two types of people who work at ups:

Those who can play the game well for the long term.

And those who didn't understand how to play that game.

It takes thick skin, detachment and knowing your rights. It's a mindf$ck.

You either let ups mindf$ck you and you end up where you are in terms of quitting and moving on to something much less after being angry, pissed and broken down from exhaustion.

Or.

You mindf$ck ups for the long term. You walk away with a strong retirement , a lot of money in the bank, your family and healthcare taken care of and most importantly your health and mental stability.

It is like anything else in life. It's a game. Some play very well and walk away with a better life. Some know how to balance it and a family life.

And some walk away having to take less in life because they couldn't handle it well enough to get the advantages and not let the bad ruin you or your family.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I swear to you, when you get into another job you will be blown away at how you've been treated those 30 years. It really is crazy, and its somewhat depressing to think that that is how we've all lived. Even worse, some people apparently have drank the kool aid. Or at the very least they know that good pay/bemefit is ALL they have at UPS and just grasp onto it to the very end.

Congratulations to you on a good career. And remember, once you leave UPS you'll be treated as human again. And you'll love it.

Thanks for the kind words by the way, and yes, I assume most of the heat is probably coming from those jealous that they didn't get out early[/

You either let ups mindf$ck you and you end up where you are in terms of quitting and moving on to something much less after being angry, :censored2: and broken down from exhaustion.

Or.

You mindf$ck ups for the long term. You walk away with a strong retirement , a lot of money in the bank, your family and healthcare taken care of and most importantly your health and mental stability.

It is like anything else in life. It's a game. Some play very well and walk away with a better life. Some know how to balance it and a family life.

And some walk away having to take less in life because they couldn't handle it well enough to get the advantages and not let the bad ruin you or your family.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I never understood if the union was so strong why they always tell people to just take their job back and not worry about the back pay. Seems if ups went against the contract and took a driver off a route or fired him that getting your back pay would be easy. However most of the time the union don't seem to care about the back pay. Which means ups basically can fire you at anytime for just about anything because they don't lose anything doing it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never understood if the union was so strong why they always tell people to just take their job back and not worry about the back pay. Seems if ups went against the contract and took a driver off a route or fired him that getting your back pay would be easy. However most of the time the union don't seem to care about the back pay. Which means ups basically can fire you at anytime for just about anything because they don't lose anything doing it.

Requests for back pay depend upon the circumstances of the termination but to say that the union doesn't fight for back pay is simply untrue.

By The Book

Requests for back pay depend upon the circumstances of the termination but to say that the union doesn't fight for back pay is simply untrue.
Well said, if the member has a choice of getting his job back or risking a termination, the strongest case sometimes is to get your job back. When this happens members may not get back pay but they don't lose any other fringe benefits either. That may be their seniority spot, progression credit, a bid they could have got, etc. If you screw up and the company's got your you know what's in a vise.... I think the Union usually requests that the member be made whole.

Holydriver

You either let ups mindf$ck you and you end up where you are in terms of quitting and moving on to something much less after being angry, :censored2: and broken down from exhaustion.

Or.

I'm not sure if you read previous posts but for a $3 less per hour, but 10+ hours extra free time a week I'm doing way better. You like the money, I like living. That's it. And I'd say I'm doing better than most at this point. It feels good. Real good.

Remember the movie next Friday? There was a scene with the Mexican gamgsters sitting in the house with 2 attractive young ladies. They were in a dilemma you see. Do they count their money or do they get on that fine ass they had with them. It was summed up like this: "hundreds and fifties or big ass titties? Count the green or get in between...those titties?". He chose wisely.... So did I

By The Book

Quite the contrary....they're considering expanding.
Tell them you want a 10% deductible on your health insurance and pension contributions at $8.50 an hour to be increased $.50 every year on your anniversary date, and throw in 6 total weeks of paid vacation, and 9 paid sick days a year in exchange for a raise. I'm not making any sense now because I still get a raise every year plus all that other stuff.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I'm not sure if you read previous posts but for a $3 less per hour, but 10+ hours extra free time a week I'm doing way better. You like the money, I like living. That's it. And I'd say I'm doing better than most at this point. It feels good. Real good.

Remember the movie next Friday? There was a scene with the Mexican gamgsters sitting in the house with 2 attractive young ladies. They were in a dilemma you see. Do they count their money or do they get on that fine ass they had with them. It was summed up like this: "hundreds and fifties or big ass titties? Count the green or get in between...those titties?". He chose wisely.... So did I
I like both money and living securely and comfortably.

I do both.

I can tell you that you aren't making 100k a year with full benefits and full insurance working at a small business with 15 employees.

Ups wasn't for you. It's ok. It's not for people who are fragile. It takes many things. The payoff is good like my previous post said. You just have to know how to play the game at ups and life.

Good luck and I hope your endeavor lasts.

Also you weren't at full rate at ups so your $3 less an hour is way way off. You would of been at $34-$35/HR and with OT. That's a big pay cut.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Tell them you want a 10% deductible on your health insurance and pension contributions at $8.50 an hour to be increased $.50 every year on your anniversary date, and throw in 6 total weeks of paid vacation, and 9 paid sick days a year in exchange for a raise. I'm not making any sense now because I still get a raise every year plus all that other stuff.
A small business like that isn't going to give him anywhere near those benefits. I'm betting 40k-50k a year with healthcare he has to pay partial for.

Browntown2014

Exactly how were you "abused"??

Gear

Parts on Order

Why bother? You dont have to explain anything. You're talking to guys who drank the Kool aid over 2 decades ago. There are plenty of jobs that can provide a decent living for you and your family. Not everyone needs over $100,000 a year to live comfortable. Good luck!

Holydriver

I like both money and living securely and comfortably.

I do both.

I can tell you that you aren't making 100k a year with full benefits and full insurance working at a small business with 15 employees.

Ups wasn't for you. It's ok. It's not for people who are fragile. It takes many things. The payoff is good like my previous post said. You just have to know how to play the game at ups and life.

Good luck and I hope your endeavor lasts.

Also you weren't at full rate at ups so your $3 less an hour is way way off. You would of been at $34-$35/HR and with OT. That's a big pay cut.
It has nothing to do with fragile. As one of those combat veterans I feel comfortable with my manliness enough to know that UPS was no where near my breaking point. But it comes down to working too much for an employer that treats you horrible. Now my awesome new job with a $3 pay cut supplements my government education bemefits that all veterans get ultimately giving me more money than. I earned at UPS. Plus way more time off. So in about a year I'll be all educated and capable of even better wages. See, I considered my life far more than just quitting UPS. I looked at all angles and all bemefits that I have. It worked for me. And I'm thankful that I wasn't stuck at UPS because i would become bitter and cling onto my pay as that is all I had in life and use that to justify my bitterness.

Gear

Parts on Order
I personally think 4 years to top rate is a big one. But even worse is the lack of any sick/personal/vacation days in the first year. I understand the idea of putting in your time to earn your keep, but for an employer that demands so much physically PLUS the excessively long hours, not allowing someone time off for a year is crazy.

Also, in a time when having insurance is a requirement in order to be a law abiding citizen, the fact that the company doesn't offer insurance for a year is outrageous. The two incentives to work are insurance and money, and the company doesn't offer insurance in a time when it's a legal requirement? That's ridiculous

"Paying your dues" You hear that alot. If "senior" employees never paid that due, why is called, "Paying your dues?" It makes no sense.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It has nothing to do with fragile. As one of those combat veterans I feel comfortable with my manliness enough to know that UPS was no where near my breaking point. But it comes down to working too much for an employer that treats you horrible. Now my awesome new job with a $3 pay cut supplements my government education bemefits that all veterans get ultimately giving me more money than. I earned at UPS. Plus way more time off. So in about a year I'll be all educated and capable of even better wages. See, I considered my life far more than just quitting UPS. I looked at all angles and all bemefits that I have. It worked for me. And I'm thankful that I wasn't stuck at UPS because i would become bitter and cling onto my pay as that is all I had in life and use that to justify my bitterness.
You were obviously fragile in some sense if you couldn't play the game at ups that you quit in a few years.

In this economy, education doesn't always equal success or stability. You might earn an education in a year but then you will enter a job market where there are many more with your education or better competing for those jobs.

I don't cling to my pay as if it's all I have in life. I could leave ups tomorrow and retire at home with my kids all day and still live the lifestyle we built. But we have bigger plans for that and ups becomes a sure fire means to an end so that my kids will be set up in life for better opportunities.

I prefer to look at ups as a calculated risk for long term goals. There are two types of risk: short term and calculated long term. The short term is quitting early before full pay and benefits. The long term is using their benefits of time off and their own games against them to make more money. Which funds more long term stability in your future. Hence you learn to play the game so you can build a better quality of life for the long term.

Like I said, good luck. Ups wasn't for you. You thought wearing headphones while driving and smoking weed everyday was a great idea. You're not built for this career and there's nothing wrong with that. Go be whatever it is you are trying to be.

But I don't understand why you would still participate on this forum. You're no longer a ups driver and you only had three or so years experience.

Time to move on.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Why bother? You dont have to explain anything. You're talking to guys who drank the Kool aid over 2 decades ago. There are plenty of jobs that can provide a decent living for you and your family. Not everyone needs over $100,000 a year to live comfortable. Good luck!
True but it sure gets you to that goal of being comfortable a lot more quickly.

I don't think it's about the kool aid but more about seeing that ups is more stable in that respect than most jobs or careers. Especially in this economic climate.