UPS driver *almost* hit by lighting in rain storm Friday

FilingBluesFL

Two people jolted in lightning near miss in Sarasota - Sarasota News | Mysuncoast.com and ABC 7: Local News

Got the usual "work safe" BS at the PCM.

We had one driver a few days ago bring back 10 stops because he felt it was too dangerous to deliver them at 8-9pm due to the rain and lightning. They said this was unacceptable

At our recent PCM's I've been making smart-assed comments about bringing stops back because it was too dangerous to deliver because of lighting, typical management response "Deliver and be safe, YOU CAN'T BRING BACK STOPS."

So then Friday, one of our own almost gets struck by lightning.

It was only a matter of time.

Indecisi0n

Message the center and tell them you do not feel safe and want to stop. Wait for their response , do not call center keep message as evidence. If you are forced to work unsafe get messages printed at end of the night and grieve it.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Two people jolted in lightning near miss in Sarasota - Sarasota News | Mysuncoast.com and ABC 7: Local News

Got the usual "work safe" BS at the PCM.

We had one driver a few days ago bring back 10 stops because he felt it was too dangerous to deliver them at 8-9pm due to the rain and lightning. They said this was unacceptable

At our recent PCM's I've been making smart-assed comments about bringing stops back because it was too dangerous to deliver because of lighting, typical management response "Deliver and be safe, YOU CAN'T BRING BACK STOPS."

So then Friday, one of our own almost gets struck by lightning.

It was only a matter of time.

I have a few questions. The link is from a news story yesterday, the 3rd. "You said at our recent PCM's," you've been making comments? Now, what idiots stand under a tree during a lightning storm? In my neck of the woods we call that natural selection. In other words, If the gene pool has become that shallow and the stupidity gene has become that dominate the line really should end.

Now I wasn't there so I do not know the exact severity of the storms involved. But I will say this, I have an outside job and except that it will not be sunny and 75 degrees everyday. Exactly 1 week ago we had a storm roll through that had 80 mph wind gusts. That was, shall we say "fun", but we all manned up and got everything delivered and did it safely because we are the best in the business.

ymelord

Sit out the storm, on the clock. If you get anything said to you about being over, grieve it as harassment. You won't win, but your wife will have a paper trail to sue UPS, in case you ever get smoked by lightning.

jaker

trolling
Yeah almost doesn't count, that's like a near hit ( what sups call it now)

By that I almost died 37 times on Wednesday alone

Johney

I believe dog crap is covered under handgrenades, cause in our business they're like land mines. Be careful out there my brother and may the force be with you.
Like land mines? Yes. Handgrenades? No. That is unless you throw dog crap:cool_dog:

balland chain

UPS will instruct all workers to get out and get the job done if lightning is around, be it a feeder driver or package.. Then, if someone were to die from being struck by lightning, they will change their story, and say it was the drivers fault, "they should not have gotten out of the vehicle " will be their response to OSHA, and the family of the dead UPSer. They will simply say they failed to follow safe work methods , and the driver should have known better... With UPS, they only will do something if someone is hurt badly, or dies. Until then, get back to work while us supervisors sit nice, dry and safe...

Johney

I live and work in the lightning capitol and I can tell you I stop when it get's bad and it does here in south Florida. Bolt's sometimes every few seconds,but it doesn't ever last longer than 15 minutes or so(the bad stuff). I just wait out the bad stuff. If you get struck.....it's just your time that's how I see it. I've seen bolt's here come out of the blue when the storm is mile's away. Talk about scaring the crap out of ya.

oldngray

nowhere special
I had lighting hit a few yards from me when I was sitting inside my package car waiting out the storm. It hit a transformer and sounded like a bomb going off.

Buck Fifty

Like land mines? Yes. Handgrenades? No. That is unless you throw dog crap:cool_dog:

To each his own my brother. poo.jpg
poo.jpg

Cementups

Box Monkey
We have a driver who was ALMOST struck by lightning. And by almost I mean it was close enough to knock him on his ass. That's too close for me. Now every time I see a bad thunderstorm coming I send him a text to take cover. ha ha

FilingBluesFL

He said on his facebook thing that the bolt hit 5-10 feet from where he was (don't know if he was taking cover under a tree or not, I think he'd be smarter than that, but he DID vote for Obama, so there's no telling...)

He was released from the hospital almost 6 hours after the incident, no major injuries, he said just ringing ears, a migraine, and of course the shakes.

Maybe he can see into the future or something now lol

I'm sure if he calls in on Friday, they'll tell him he doesn't have a good excuse to miss a day of work and has to come in lol

"They say if you get hit by lightning it gives you super powers. Apparently my super power was to flop on the ground and :censored2: my pants."

​Dave Attell

A reporter asked pro golfer Lee Trevino what he would do if he were caught in a lightning storm on a golf course. Trevino replied; "I'd grab my one iron."
The reporter asked, "Why?"
Trevino said, "Because even God can't hit a one iron."