UPS driver fired, plumber disciplined as video shows wrong-way US 54 driving

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS driver fired, plumber disciplined as video shows wrong-way US 54 driving - ABC7

A UPS driver was fired and a New Age Plumbing employee disciplined on Friday after ABC-7 cameras caught them among multiple drivers traveling the wrong direction down a U.S. 54 on-ramp during a powerful rain storm.

Drivers that found themselves at a stop due to high water near the Hercules exit heading south on US-54 on Thursday decided they were going to either make their own road off the highway or turn around and drive towards oncoming traffic.

ABC-7's cameras were rolling as the UPS and New Age Plumbing drivers turned around on US-54 heading towards on-coming traffic and then took the on-ramp going the wrong direction in order to get to the access route and avoid the traffic backup due to flooding.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
The plumbing company said it was "addressed." Didn't say anything about discipline. I guarantee you not a :censored2:ing thing happened to the guy.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I hope the guy gets his job back. The reporter said the traffic was stopped because of road flooding. What else were people to do, wait until the water went down or find a way off the road? While what they did might not have been the safest, it sure seems like it was the only way off the road.

oldngray

nowhere special
I hope the guy gets his job back. The reporter said the traffic was stopped because of road flooding. What else were people to do, wait until the water went down or find a way off the road? While what they did might not have been the safest, it sure seems like it was the only way off the road.
Blame the cops for not blocking off the closed road.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They got the headline wrong, it should read "Drivers demonstrate common sense in navigating hazardous conditions". I understand why the media gets confused, common sense is so rare, they think it's been outlawed.

Big Rigger

Expect the unexpected.
Leave yourself an out.
Seek shelter in inclement weather.
Too bad the driver didn't have a rider that day.