Ups driver starts house fire

rod

Retired 22 years
Hard to see those power lines in the dark. This one didn't happen in the dark but just saying.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a demonstration during a PCM this past week based on this very incident. Our safety committee had strung a black rope between two poles roughly 10' above the floor. Our on car asked us to guess how high the rope was-----I guessed 11'-----with the point that if we are unsure of the height, especially when backing, that we are not to try to go under suspended wires, cables or power lines.

I can recall as a young driver taking down a cable line. Stuff happens.

jaker

trolling
We had a demonstration during a PCM this past week based on this very incident. Our safety committee had strung a black rope between two poles roughly 10' above the floor. Our on car asked us to guess how high the rope was-----I guessed 11'-----with the point that if we are unsure of the height, especially when backing, that we are not to try to go under suspended wires, cables or power lines.

I can recall as a young driver taking down a cable line. Stuff happens.
Only thing surprising about you post was you didn't get answer right

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Moved my daughter to Colorado this month. Drove a Budget rental truck to Denver and used it to stop at Denver airport to pick up the spouse along the way. Approaching passenger pickup area and note large sign stating 9'10" clearance which is the exact stated height of the truck. Wasn't taking a chance so I had to back up about 400' to proceed to a different level.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I clipped power, cable or "utility" lines once, but they only scraped the top of the vehicle. Basically a heart-stopper because I had driven that side of the road many times before with no issue. I assumed it was a hanging branch, but looking back it was clearly the lines which were hanging low ( maybe even lower than normal). From then onward, I did that loop of the neighborhood backwards to edd/orion, where the lines were a bit lower on opposite side. Was a P-800.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
drunk driver slammed into a telephone pole out in the country and the line were hanging across road about 7 feet up. this was at night and i caught the wires just above the cab. the trailers grabbed the wires and pulled the telephone pole right out of the ground and dragged everything until i could stop.

what a mess. police took report and thankfully because of that report was not charged. also lucky that the road was deserted and no one else was involved.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
drunk driver slammed into a telephone pole out in the country and the line were hanging across road about 7 feet up. this was at night and i caught the wires just above the cab. the trailers grabbed the wires and pulled the telephone pole right out of the ground and dragged everything until i could stop.

what a mess. police took report and thankfully because of that report was not charged. also lucky that the road was deserted and no one else was involved.
It's amazing that you have a story for every driving situation posted on this site.

And what you posted just now, ups would of charged you as avoidable accident because you didn't expect the unexpected and keep your eyes ahead is you.

Just another BS story from the resident wanna be ups feeder driver liar. This right here shows you never drove for ups. If you pulled a telephone pole out and dragged it from low hanging wires, you most definitely would of been charged with an avoidable accident. Drunk driver or not. They would of charged you because as a professional driver, you should see those things before you get to them. A police report would of made very little difference in ups and their decision to charge avoidable or unavoidable.

This would of been unavoidable by the methods.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

UPS wouldn't charge you for that?! LOL OKAY

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Seems to me, code should dictate how high the power lines should be above a driveway or road?
i thought i explained that a drunk driver hit the telephone pole. it was laying about a 45 degree angle and the lines were dangerously low across the road. the accident had happened maybe 5 minutes before i came along. the ambulance came after my trailer caught the low lines. the driver was really messed up, almost went thru the windshield. they had 3 emt's working on him. i don't think he made it .

had to wait a couple hours while they air lifted the driver and they had to clear the lines from the trailer and some were wrapped around the axles. they had to make sure none of the lines were live.

the Highway patrol wrote in his report that the impact with the power and telephone lines was unavoidable since it was so dark. this was on a 2 way highway out in the country. the company saw it the same way.

fof.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
And that right there shows you she never worked here.

I'd bet $1000 she was a contract seasonal driver for Xmas peak. We call them gypsies.

Just enough to know the local union and such terms. I'm betting a few peaks and couldn't get on FT.
pay me that $1000. the other day i posted my last YOS plaque . mm

Orion inc.

I like turtles
pay me that $1000. the other day i posted my last YOS plaque . mm
I'm sure it was yours.

You're so full of BS

Oh and your accident story is just more proof

And aren't you a multimillionaire after 35 years retired from ups ?

Or is it 17 years like your first post on BC states?

And you're a famous stripper in Reno?

And where did you post it? Since you're "retired" why don't you post a pic of it with yourself while wearing a circle of honor uniform shirt?

Hold a piece of paper of the date and "Reno" on it so you can't google image off the internet and photoshop

Last edited:

wayfair

swollen member
we had a driver a couple months back that had a big rig pull out in front of him while he was doing 40.... LEO's fined and ticketed big rig driver... UPS still charged our guy with an avoidable...
so quit with your stories