UPS Drivers: American Icons of Frugality

helenofcalifornia

They don't stress the "no left turn" policy at our center as in the past. PAS took over and no one was looking over our shoulders when we created our DOL.

On the subject of saving money, the easiest way for me is to bring a lunch from home. Guaranteed to save at least $7 daily. I have been a victim of peer pressure lately and have been eating out with the guys at restaurants lately and am not liking it. I am taking a stand today and will go back to "brown bagging" it. I am trying to pay off the last of the credit cards and this will put me back on schedule.

Another way I save money is by NOT shopping on weekends. I buy less at stores when I have less time to shop or are too tired after work. My paycheck is usually fully intact until Monday night.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
They don't stress the "no left turn" policy at our center as in the past. PAS took over and no one was looking over our shoulders when we created our DOL.

On the subject of saving money, the easiest way for me is to bring a lunch from home. Guaranteed to save at least $7 daily. I have been a victim of peer pressure lately and have been eating out with the guys at restaurants lately and am not liking it. I am taking a stand today and will go back to "brown bagging" it. I am trying to pay off the last of the credit cards and this will put me back on schedule.

Another way I save money is by NOT shopping on weekends. I buy less at stores when I have less time to shop or are too tired after work. My paycheck is usually fully intact until Monday night.

Good for you about making a stand about peer pressure. I used to be one of those guys. I found that I could brown bag it and still have coffee before my return to building to stay caught up on things with the other drivers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
helenofcalifornia
On the subject of saving money, the easiest way for me is to bring a lunch from home. Guaranteed to save at least $7 daily. I have been a victim of peer pressure lately and have been eating out with the guys at restaurants lately and am not liking it. I am taking a stand today and will go back to "brown bagging" it.

Good for you Helen... smart move.
I brown bag everyday too ... saves $5 -8 a day. eat less and the company is better.
Same thing I do.

They quit asking me awhile ago ... I run through the figures and they don't want to hear it.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
I work nights now, REAL nights 9pm-7am. The one thing I can't do is eat lunch at 1 in the morning. So not only do I not eat out anymore, I also don't bag it!

Disclaimer: I don't count my large Dunkin iced coffee on the way to work!

A

anonymous6

I don't bring cash to work. Every bill is on auto pilot.

It's all second nature now.

No cash, no spend.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I usually brown bag it 4 days and eat fast food one day. Once a week it's OK, I couldn't eat that swill every day. I do buy soda pop at mini-marts which is a complete waste of money but hey, I'm worth it.

bigbrownhen

I brown bag lunch also. I found it not only saves me money, I enjoy the 30 min of me time. Quiet and peaceful, nobody yapping at me while reading the paper.
I also buy my newspaper out of those little machines if possible, no sales tax, and bring a thermos of coffe from home. "A penny saved is a penny earned"

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
It's nice to hear I'm not the only one back to brown bagging it. If I have 20 bucks in my wallet on monday, I usually have 15 left by friday. Gotta have my powerball tix.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Sadly, the odds are about the same as the rest of us having a secure retirement.

Gotta call you on that one.
If you put away your raises every year and build up to the max on your 401K and make other investments it is very possible to retire securely.

We lived below our means and still do. I saw these other UPSers buying these huge houses, new cars every three years, running up credit card debt, eating out 4 and 5 times a week, eating out for lunch, and so on and so on.
Yeah, if you do those things, maybe your chances are reduced.

helenofcalifornia

What really helps in securing a comfortable retirement is having a spouse that has a good retirement plan as well. Also, not having a divorce in your past which might mean a split on your retirement finances.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What really helps in securing a comfortable retirement is having a spouse that has a good retirement plan as well. Also, not having a divorce in your past which might mean a split on your retirement finances.

Good points.

I remember reading (1 & 2 are in order) that reasons for not having adequate retirement funds are:
#1 - Late life divorce
#2 - Buying new cars more often than every 10 years
#3 - Expensive, large houses
#4 - Expensive vacations

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sadly, the odds are about the same as the rest of us having a secure retirement.

I would hope that you are joking. Our job affords us the luxury of preparing for retirement, whether it be through the 401k, UPS stock, or whatever investment vehicle you choose. The pension will be there. Social Security will not or should not be counted on to be anything more than "fun money".

My latest pension estimate is that I will take home approx. $5K/month. I think this may be on the high side and will be closer to $4 to $4.5K/month. That plus my 401k and my other investments will combine to provide me with a comfortable retirement.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Good points.

I remember reading (1 & 2 are in order) that reasons for not having adequate retirement funds are:
#1 - Late life divorce
#2 - Buying new cars more often than every 10 years
#3 - Expensive, large houses
#4 - Expensive vacations
If you have any doubt about #1 just ask Big B. I sure he will corroborate it. :knockedout:

MobileBA

Absolute frugality could be a pandora's box.....restraunts rely on customers......less customers-less employees...... hence restraunts and employees using less UPS services .....finally laid off UPS employees. Let's be clear I am not advacating a debt ridden lifstyle but there has to be a happy median.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think anyone is advocating absolute frugality but I do think Hoax said it best when he said that he and his wife live below their means. We all make a good living and deserve to enjoy the fruits of our labor but that doesn't necessarily mean having to have the best of everything or the newest of everything.

One of my weaknesses is going out to eat. This is why I choose to brown bag it during the week so that I can enjoy myself on the weekend by going to the restaurant of my choice (sorry, Mobile, couldn't help myself) either before or after going to watch a movie.