UPS Drivers Be Aware!

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Yellow is supposed to mean red(unless are right at the line, or just crossed it) unfortunately
too many people think its ok to keep going..
And you are right... I hope the people behind you realize whats happening.

Yellow means caution.

Tickets should only be valid if handed to you by an officer of the law at the time of the incident.

I completely agree.

If these cameras are all about safety, why don't they hand out points and suspensions, but no fines.

In fact, from what I have read, the opposite is true.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We recently had one of the cameras installed here and there was an initial period of time where they sent out warnings but now they send out tickets. I may be wrong but I believe that these are moving violations so fines and points are assessed.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I am not familiar with NY's laws but frequently governments will not assess criminal penalities in order to avoid the legal issue of a person not being able to cross-examine one's accuser.

Also there is the issue of who was driving the car at the time of the infraction.

Hence, often only civil penalities are imposed.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think the reason they were found to be illegal in Mpls- St. Paul was that the tickets were being issued to the person whose name was on the registration of the vehical--- even though in many cases they weren't the ones actually driving. I know my wife would go through the ceiling if she was issued a ticket when it happened to be me driving her car. The Mn. supreme court also found the random DUI road blocks to be illegal. We don't have a helmet law either. There is too much "Big Brother is watching you" crap going on.

Last edited:

rocket man

He didn't pay it did he? We have not had 1 driver pay these tickets around here. The truck received the ticket not the driver. Red light cameras are technology.
THE Drivers rights were violated if ups gave the law enforcment agency his infomation talk to your local.

SmithBarney

Upstate, I have to disagree with you on this one.

Two nights ago it was raining hard and I was well below the limit in an empty package car.
I approached an empty intersection and I was off the gas as the light went yellow.
I started to brake (gently) and immediately began to slide. In the dim lights of this particular car you could not see the caked oil on the road. I went off the brake and countersteered through the empty intersection as the light went red.

Any traffic camera would have nailed me going sideways through the intersection if it was there, but any officer observing would have seen what happened. I did the safest thing in an empty area and kept the vehicle straight.
y.

Obviously you were going too fast for conditions

cheeks

After my kids finished their drivers ed courses, they got Dads UPS driving policy course. After my son received a ticket for a traffic light infraction, (running a yellow light) He went to court, explianed to the judge that he had reached a point of decision, cleared the intersection and preceded with caution without speeding up. The Judge looked at him quizzically, told him good job and dismissed the ticket. . .It works.