UPS Drops A Very Important Package

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS Drops A Very Important Package - 06880

Brian O’Shea got a job with UPS during college, and never left. He worked his way up the management ranks, doing important undercover theft work up and down the East Coast.

In late 2008 he was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer. He kept working through brutal chemo. In fact, he used vacation days for treatment. When his supervisor encouraged him to take disability leave, he refused. His motto: “I live for my work.”

“Brian was so proud when he signed the paperwork UPS sent in December,” his sister Sharon recalls. “He was very happy, knowing UPS would take care of his 4 children after he died. They each would receive a monthly stipend for 10 years. That would be a life-changer for them. He had total belief in UPS, and was so dedicated to them.”

Brian died February 21.

“Someone in Atlanta headquarters said that because he died 7 days before he officially retired, he was still an employee, so he was not entitled to retirement pay.”

rod

Retired 22 years
All of the people who posted on this original headline (non UPS Joe Blows) seem to think UPS management personal are covered under a Union contract and think their Union should do something about this. Just goes to show you how uninformed people can be. They don't realize upper UPS management eats their underlings and there isn't much of anything they can do about it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
All of the people who posted on this original headline (non UPS Joe Blows) seem to think UPS management personal are covered under a Union contract and think their Union should do something about this. Just goes to show you how uninformed people can be. They don't realize upper UPS management eats their underlings and there isn't much of anything they can do about it.
"Eats their underlings"...lol. So true.
Just like average Joe blows don't know how hard we work....they also have no clue what kind of
company we all work for...they hear ups...oh yeah all a bunch of lazy, overpaid teamsters.

bluebiker

Something doesn't seem right. Under the ERISA Act he or his heirs should be entitled to something from his pension even if he quit or died suddenly.

I'd be interested in knowing the outcome of this case, (although I'm glad I'm not in management).

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
One can only hope somebody in Atlanta steps up to do the right thing for his family.

I feel ashamed for giving this company 34 years of my life after reading this story.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The UPS Pension plan is a very tightly worded legal document.
The person's family cannot be paid via the UPS Pension fund ... it would be an illegal distribution.
Hopefully UPS will find a way to honor the intent ... I don't know how but I hope so.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you sincerely believe ups will do anything in this case other than hide behind the legalese, partner?

What you call legalese is actually contract language designed to protect both the employer and the employee. Any deviation from this language would create a precedent in the event something like this happens again in the future.

Suppose the employee were covered by a Teamster pension plan. Do you sincerely believe the Union would do anything in this case other than hide behind the legalese?

Sad as it is the employee's family is more than likely out of luck.