UPS Employee Dies After Being Pinned By Truck

Dfigtree

UPS Employee Dies After Being Pinned By Truck

51-Year-Old Killed At Jackson Facility

POSTED: 6:22 am CDT May 7, 2009
UPDATED: 6:38 am CDT May 7, 2009

JACKSON, Miss. -- A United Parcel Service employee died after a UPS driver backed over him, pinning him against a wall, officials said.The incident happened at 11:30 p.m. Wednesday at the UPS facility off McDowell Road, police said.The driver did not realize the 51-year-old man was standing behind the truck when he backed up, police said.The names of those involved were not immediately released.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I'm pretty sure we can all assume everyone is sorry for the loss, thoughts go out to the family, our prayers are with them, etc.

Anyone know what happened?

ups1990

I'm pretty sure we can all assume everyone is sorry for the loss, thoughts go out to the family, our prayers are with them, etc.

Those who wish to post their sentiments can do so right? Or are you speaking for all of us?
Do you want to know the gruesome details of this fatal accident? We know the outlines of the tragic event.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Those who wish to post their sentiments can do so right? Or are you speaking for all of us?
Do you want to know the gruesome details of this fatal accident? We know the outlines of the tragic event.

Yeah, the blood & gore, please. **

I'm not speaking for anyone but myself - I wanted to know if anyone actually knew what happened, how this could happen.

Tragedy sucks. Death sucks. But for the grace of God, etc. Could be any one of us. Without exception, everyone here feels sad about it, sorry for it, and wishes prayers to the family. But at some point it turns into a "Me Too" list, as in "everyone else posted something nice, I better do so as well". Of course this is just my opinion, and if you don't agree with it, well, that is why God created forums such as this.

Last edited by a moderator:

ups1990

Yeah, the blood & gore, please. ***

I'm not speaking for anyone but myself - I wanted to know if anyone actually knew what happened, how this could happen.

Tragedy sucks. Death sucks. But for the grace of God, etc. Could be any one of us. Without exception, everyone here feels sad about it, sorry for it, and wishes prayers to the family. But at some point it turns into a "Me Too" list, as in "everyone else posted something nice, I better do so as well". Of course this is just my opinion, and if you don't agree with it, well, that is why God created forums such as this.
Hey, Dream of Jeannie. What do you care if its a "me too list?" You dont control the forum. My point is if a member wants to express themselves in a different matter as the next, then so be it.
Can the next member express a thought on this matter, if its ok with you?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Hey, Dream of Jeannie. What do you care if its a "me too list?" You dont control the forum. My point is if a member wants to express themselves in a different matter as the next, then so be it.
Can the next member express a thought on this matter, if its ok with you?

?? I expressed my opinion. You expressed yours. Please carry on.

bluehdmc

Something very similar happened at the Meadowlands (NJ) a number of years ago.

I too feel for the driver and the gentleman's family.

There's a reason for all those safety rules, and people don't pay attention to them until someone gets hurt. You might get away with something 99 times but that 100th time it comes up and bites you.
I was spotting a trailer on a door and was putting it on the wrong door, the sup jumped off the dock to tell me. After I put the trailer on the right door I went in and chewed him out for jumping off the dock and for being in the yard without a safety vest on. What if I had realized my mistake, didn't see him, and ran him over?
All this for packages!!! None of what we do is life or death, granted do the best job you can, but we're only talking about packages! Let's all go home at the end of our shifts.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
This isn't the first time this has happened and probably wont be the last - due to stupidity. Don't know the details but probably was a situation that didn't have to become what it became. The last one I remember was the one that happened at the Meadowlands about 5 years ago. I don't know the details of that one either but people shouldn't be dying while trying to run the operation. The management numbers game isn't worth it:angry:

over9five

Staff member
Yup, this story repeats itself every few years. Working in a busy yard is a dangerous job, and you gotta give UPS props for having so few tragedies. Yard control procedures may seem boring, but they're CRITICAL for our safety.

I too would like to know the complete story, as it becomes a valuable learning experience for all.

As Race said, don't forget the other victim, the driver who must live with this forever.

blue efficacy

***, you'd think with all the yard safety stuff they have in place these days, stuff like this wouldn't happen anymore.

Truly a tragedy :(

tieguy

Banned

prayers to the family and the driver who has to deal with the mental aspects of what happened.

Email out today. the employee was a haz mat responder cleaning up a paint spill. Was not wearing the vest and did not place a cone to block the lane.

Everyone be careful for your safety. Expect the company to more vigorously enforce the yard procedures. Don't get burned.

some1else

Banned
wow; do you think its ok if someone wants some detail so we an avoid a similar accident in the future?