UPS employee falls ill due to extreme heat

Saddle Crook

A UPS employee fell ill Sunday night in Saddle Brook due to working in the extreme heat. UPS is trying to keep this quiet. Please spread the word about this. No one should be pushed to working in these extreme temperatures. Whatever the temperature outside add about 15 degrees to it and that it how hot it was Sunday night. Also, break time was 3 hours and 55 minutes after start time.

preload1

It's summer. It's going to be hot. You need to be prepared for that. Don't blame the heat on UPS. You need to understand that the business does not revolve around your discomfort. It revolves around the customer who just happens to pay your salary.

Saddle Crook

It's summer. It's going to be hot. You need to be prepared for that. Don't blame the heat on UPS. You need to understand that the business does not revolve around your discomfort. It revolves around the customer who just happens to pay your salary.

HaHa! Ignorant response.

No sorry in those extreme conditions the employer must be aware of weather situations and make concessions.

If the individual had died UPS would have a lot to explain besides being hit with a lawsuit.

Then I'm sure there would be new rules in place such as not being allowed to work more than an hour or so without a break.

preload1

If the power went out because of a thunderstorm caused by the hot weather and you couldn't work because there was no lights or moving belts and you couldn't perform your job, should you still be paid for not working? To you my response was "ignorant". If you need assistance understanding this response I will be glad to help.

Saddle Crook

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not saying anything about "being paid" or "not being paid"? I'm talking about human compassion and common sense which you have none of evidently.

klein

Für Meno :)
Face the facts !!!!:

UPS is too cheap to have adequate cooling or heating in the winter.
Be it inside the BUildings or the Package Cars !
They don't believe in A/C / Heating for their employees comfort.
Simple as that !

ibleedbrown

ups and us as employees all need to use common sense during extreme conditions. in all fairness my hub has used common sense a few times this year, closing down during one extreme snowstorm and during the extreme heat wave keeping us informed on proper hydration etc etc they handed out ice cold bottle water and had a air conditioned trailer on the primary to cool off. we as employees should not expect ups to do this for us (it was very nice on their part) we should be keeping hydrated and dress accordingly for the conditions, also we must remember to slow down to get hydrated or even stop and take a small break if we feel our bodies overheating..... ups should allow for this and most likely will.

It will take a death and bad publicity for that to change.Hope it never comes down to that.Just stay hydrated as much as possible,work at a safe pace and muddle thru it.Drivers are out in 100+ temps for 10-11 hours a day with more stops then ever and theres no mercy. Safety is concern #1 acording to UPS,so if you need to slow down or stop a minute to catch your breath,by all means,be safe and do so.

raceanoncr

If the power went out because of a thunderstorm caused by the hot weather and you couldn't work because there was no lights or moving belts and you couldn't perform your job, should you still be paid for not working?

Not that this has anything to do with this thread, but, YES, you SHOULD expect to get paid! If you showed up for work, punched in and are ready to work, it's not YOUR fault you can't work. You HAVE to be paid if you are there on the clock. Sorry.

fethrs

Face the facts !!!!:

Simple as that !

Wrong!
We have huge fans at my hub and heaters too. Klein, give it up you don't speak for all of us at UPS
:peaceful:

packageguy

Talk about drinking the kool aid, wow

packageguy

ups and us as employees all need to use common sense during extreme conditions. in all fairness my hub has used common sense a few times this year, closing down during one extreme snowstorm and during the extreme heat wave keeping us informed on proper hydration etc etc they handed out ice cold bottle water and had a air conditioned trailer on the primary to cool off. we as employees should not expect ups to do this for us (it was very nice on their part) we should be keeping hydrated and dress accordingly for the conditions, also we must remember to slow down to get hydrated or even stop and take a small break if we feel our bodies overheating..... ups should allow for this and most likely will.

You must drink kool aid too. My building manager wanted to hand out warning letters, for not maintaining the ojs numbers. Thats no lie

packageguy

If the power went out because of a thunderstorm caused by the hot weather and you couldn't work because there was no lights or moving belts and you couldn't perform your job, should you still be paid for not working? To you my response was "ignorant". If you need assistance understanding this response I will be glad to help.

I don't know from what rock you came out of, But let me say, you sound stupid.

Saddle Crook

Face the facts !!!!:

Simple as that !

Truer words were never spoken!

Right on!!

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
not sure where the outrage should be. what about the other 200,000 people that didn't get sick? Did ups just get lucky? was water and breaks provided? did the person tell their sup they were not feeling well? did the sup crack a whip and put his feet back up?

and what do you mean by UPS is trying to keep quiet? I worked construction for 4 years and we had a few people get heatstroke while on the job. no one called the news.

There was a 22.3 that dropped dead leaving a Chicago area building also last week. OSHA was on our property for two days and the usual "we`re concerned for you in the heat. Drink plenty of water, dress lightly" memo came down again only now it included a paragraph that anyone feeling the effects of the heat were allowed to take a "heat break" to regain composure.

The CACH was designed with a flat steel roof that just retains heat this time of year. The inclusion of fans spaced across the roof in strategic locations to pull the hot air out would alleviate much of the problem as the numerous doors would allow air to flow in. With the amount of money spent,and in some cases wasted, on this building the budget for such fans would have been a drop in the bucket.

Some have commented on the "it`s the employees responsibility" theme. In part thats true, one should be prepared. But it is MORE their responsibility to recognize when they are over heating and take appropriate actions before they get ill. Don`t be bullied into continuing to work. Stop if you must. Don`t worry about any threats because you won`t be able to file a grievance if your dead.

Saddle Crook

not sure where the outrage should be. what about the other 200,000 people that didn't get sick? Did ups just get lucky? was water and breaks provided? did the person tell their sup they were not feeling well? did the sup crack a whip and put his feet back up?

and what do you mean by UPS is trying to keep quiet? I worked construction for 4 years and we had a few people get heatstroke while on the job. no one called the news.

What are you going on about?

Was water provided? No!
Was a break provided? Yes, after 3 hours and 55 minutes.

No one called the news from your construction site? Who cares? We're talking about UPS mistreatment of its employees.

Saddle Crook

There was a 22.3 that dropped dead leaving a Chicago area building also last week. OSHA was on our property for two days and the usual "we`re concerned for you in the heat. Drink plenty of water, dress lightly" memo came down again only now it included a paragraph that anyone feeling the effects of the heat were allowed to take a "heat break" to regain composure.

The CACH was designed with a flat steel roof that just retains heat this time of year. The inclusion of fans spaced across the roof in strategic locations to pull the hot air out would alleviate much of the problem as the numerous doors would allow air to flow in. With the amount of money spent,and in some cases wasted, on this building the budget for such fans would have been a drop in the bucket.

Some have commented on the "it`s the employees responsibility" theme. In part thats true, one should be prepared. But it is MORE their responsibility to recognize when they are over heating and take appropriate actions before they get ill. Don`t be bullied into continuing to work. Stop if you must. Don`t worry about any threats because you won`t be able to file a grievance if your dead.

Can you provide a link? Thanks!