UPS encourages management to read on Brown Cafe?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is from a post in 2007 and it would seem perceptions have changed.
Make sure you don’t post libelous messages or post trade secrets or intellectual property of UPS and you’ll be ok.

I remember when I first heard about this site. It was 4 or 5 years ago when they gave the address out at the managers feedback meeting. It was given as a recommended resource and most of the management people that I know still use it.

I can most assured you, this site is not given out by UPS management as a recommended resource.
Too many management came on here and expressed their displeasure and issues within the company. It appears that UPS Upper management is discouraging management people from posting on here and especially in the IS organization.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
I can most assured you, this site is not given out by UPS management as a recommended resource.
Too many management came on here and expressed their displeasure and issues within the company. It appears that UPS Upper management is discouraging management people from posting on here and especially in the IS organization.

Things may have changed but.... Back in the day, the early 2000's I was at a report back meeting where they brought up the BrownCafe as a source. My district manager, IE district manager and Division Manager were well aware of this site and liked it. In fact the Pacific Region office was down the street and the region staff IS people approached me and knew Cheryl's name and were all a flutter about the BrownCafe from the very beginning. Cheryl will attest that I was a little concerned about how it would affect my employment at the time but I never had any problems, more interest than anything else. So much so that when my MIP was given to me during those two years the current District manager would say..."So how's the BrownCafe doing"...

Furthermore Cheryl went to a town hall meeting back then where the District manager and division manager were very complimentary of the site.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Things may have changed but.... Back in the day, the early 2000's I was at a report back meeting where they brought up the BrownCafe as a source. My district manager, IE district manager and Division Manager were well aware of this site and liked it. In fact the Pacific Region office was down the street and the region staff IS people approached me and knew Cheryl's name and were all a flutter about the BrownCafe from the very beginning. Cheryl will attest that I was a little concerned about how it would affect my employment at the time but I never had any problems, more interest than anything else. So much so that when my MIP was given to me during those two years the current District manager would say..."So how's the BrownCafe doing"...

Furthermore Cheryl went to a town hall meeting back then where the District manager and division manager were very complimentary of the site.
Things have definitely changed with Upper Management afraid of anything that makes them look bad or questionable in anyway.
I'm sure it varies by location but certain people are very insecure and/or of their position at UPS and try and squash anything.
There use to be many people from IS posting on here and now there are non ... even the ardent defenders of UPS have left and from my conversations with others, it is out of fear.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
That's too bad. Like you said it probably varies by location and personality. Fear is not a way to run an organization.

Where are all the retirees, they should have nothing to fear and lots of stories good and bad.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's too bad. Like you said it probably varies by location and personality. Fear is not a way to run an organization.

Where are all the retirees, they should have nothing to fear and lots of stories good and bad.
A couple of IS retirees still post but several asked Cheryl to delete their accounts.
There are many UPS non-IS management retirees that post. Some don't want other members to know they are ex-management.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Things have definitely changed with Upper Management afraid of anything that makes them look bad or questionable in anyway.
I'm sure it varies by location but certain people are very insecure and/or of their position at UPS and try and squash anything.
There use to be many people from IS posting on here and now there are non ... even the ardent defenders of UPS have left and from my conversations with others, it is out of fear.
Speaking of ardent defenders, what happened to pman?

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
This is from a post in 2007 and it would seem perceptions have changed.

I used to walk by a District Manager's office daily on the way to my office. I often poked my head in and said hi. He always had Brown Cafe up on his computer. Every once in a while he'd wave me in and show me a post he found entertaining.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I used to walk by a District Manager's office daily on the way to my office. I often poked my head in and said hi. He always had Brown Cafe up on his computer. Every once in a while he'd wave me in and show me a post he found entertaining.
He was probably secure in himself and self-confident.
Some people are driven to achieve by insecurity and low self-esteem which they hide by an overbearing, in your face personality.

upschuck

I think he spent too much time there this past peak...:clown:

texan

I will never forget when we were in a brief meeting ( 2 to 3 years ago)
when reductions and realignment were occurring.

We, as the low level workforce, were not in any type of information flow
about this.

I mentioned to my DM that I had checked Brown Cafe for information
about what was occurring.

He went ballistic! The veins on his neck were out, and his face was bright red
as he went off in front of all my peers on me.

Guess one can figure out that I have never mentioned BC again since then
at my UPS workplace.

It was about the same time I joined after many years of lurking, and perhaps
my post name has no bearing on where I am from, and who I am.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our DM was in town on Thursday and requested a meeting with five of the more senior drivers. As the meeting was breaking up I asked him if there were a timeline on the implementation of Orion in our center. He asked me where I heard about Orion and I told him I heard about it on Brown Café. He did not offer an opinion either way about the forum but did concede that there is a great deal of good information on the site.

bbsam

Staff member
He asked where you had heard of Orion? It's not general knowledge through the company of Orion's existence and purpose?

BrownSuit

Why the DM would question how you knew about Orion doesn't make sense, we even have a "Press Kit" on our website which links to a number of publications and TV shows. Media Kits

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why the DM would question how you knew about Orion doesn't make sense, we even have a "Press Kit" on our website which links to a number of publications and TV shows. http://www.pressroom.ups.com/Media Kits/

Fewer than 5% of our drivers go to upsers.com on a regular basis (once a week to check their paystubs). I am probably the only one who goes there at least once a day. I rarely if ever go to ups.com.

obama

...ask the big guy and his rosy friend if they like their troops reading Brown Cafe! I recall several years ago when there were meetings held in Morristown to discuss Brown Cafe, who was reading it, who was posting, etc. Hey TEXAN, been to NJ lately? :cowboy:

hey Photog, I know someone exactly like this, :wink2: 'Some people are driven to achieve by insecurity and low self-esteem which they hide by an overbearing, in your face personality'