UPS evening delivery

DS

Fenderbender
There's a new service coming at ups mirroring the one fedex ground has.
Choose evening delivery between 5-8PM...you'd think that it would mean later start times for some ups drivers but alas,all it will mean is more 11 hour days .

whenIgetthere

There's a new service coming at ups mirroring the one fedex ground has.
Choose evening delivery between 5-8PM...you'd think that it would mean later start times for some ups drivers but alas,all it will mean is more 11 hour days .

At Fedex that would be more 14 hour days, but with a two or three hour "break", so you don't hit 12.

packageguy

They should leave everything alone. just driver release the package or will call-- they will pick it up. we have a family that we would like to see.

FedExer267

Wow that will never work. It might be one thing if Home Delivery got paid by the hour but that is not the case. They try and tell us that at Ground and i will tell them to pound sand. If this is strictly HD I see them getting even more resi and hardly any for us. However this will blow them out and they will kick it over to Ground hope they dont expect that service from us we get paid for 8 and one delivery attempt a day is all you get.
Just another way FedEx takes advantage of their non-employees, they know we get paid for 8 hours a day and they expect that kind of service hahahaha. Fred you get what you pay for which in this case aint much.

HomeDelivery

I have done this a handful of times in the past already; it isn't that bad because you log off at 8PM or a bit later, you can come in the next day just a tad later (10 hour rest period as mandated by the DOT)

I didn't mind coming in 6-630AM on the following day to start loading /sorting my own van.

& that's one of the reasons why I prefer HD over Ground when I tried both branches. (flexibility to start a bit later)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have done this a handful of times in the past already; it isn't that bad because you log off at 8PM or a bit later, you can come in the next day just a tad later (10 hour rest period as mandated by the DOT)

I didn't mind coming in 6-630AM on the following day to start loading /sorting my own van.

& that's one of the reasons why I prefer HD over Ground when I tried both branches. (flexibility to start a bit later)

Expect FedEx to offer the same thing within a month or two.

tracker2762

I think I may have heard something of this service, I was under the impression that this would be a second attempt later in the day when the customer is home. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So basically your reattempting your send agains which shouldn't be that many anyway. It would add a few more miles to your day.

rod

Retired 22 years
Whats new about that? Anybody who has a combination business and residential route has been doing that all along.

tracker2762

Nothing new about it at all, but if a system is put in then there may be more requests for this service. Which by the way has no extra charge for a second attempt on the same day. Will there be one now?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
This is a waist of time and money. I would go on record that the average amount of send again's is less than five pieces. So let me get this straight you are going to now pay us 45 dollars an hour to make sure we are able to get those 5 packages off. I will believe this when I see it but for now there is no way they can contractually keep you out there until 8PM. We have a plan day for a reason. We all know that it would be far more efficient for UPS to offer an expansion to the alternate delivery point.
For you FedEX Ground and H.D. drivers who apparently are use to taking it in the shorts and working for free then enjoy.

HomeDelivery

I think I may have heard something of this service, I was under the impression that this would be a second attempt later in the day when the customer is home. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So basically your reattempting your send agains which shouldn't be that many anyway. It would add a few more miles to your day.

no, when you scan it when you are loading your own vehicle, the beeping scanner will sound different & you look down and see the PM delivery service! just like those dircet signature sounds for alcohol or those appointment delivery scans...

put that aside and alert your manager if there are others in your service area that are dispatching at a later date... maybe they can take it off your hands if you're done your route early normally (some are done by 3pm)

managers may find someone else to do it for you & will delete it from your manifest, or

they'll give it to your contractor for him to hand-sheet that at the later time himself

or i've seen a manager do it for the contractor on my 1st hand experience.
-------------------------------
I usually come in later in the day (930AM-10) then sort/ pack my van by 11AM... i'll be out until 8PM daily & sometimes i'll get stuck with those pm delivery packages.

I'll take it because I am out there that late anyways & will call the customer 30 minutes to 1 hour before I make the first attempt, just to warn them that I'll be there knocking on your door that late for a signature:peaceful:

Sure, I've recently learned my ways of getting paid by the hour last peak & is just coming back to work for contractors around my kids' school schedule (FT summer, PT saturday only)

HomeDelivery

it works for HD, but for Ground it won't...

I don't think UPS will add a new sector for UPS to handle PM pickups like Express does, so this will be a bad idea unless they have PM couriers that is totally separate than the regular during-business-hours UPS drivers

DS

Fenderbender
it works for HD, but for Ground it won't...

I don't think UPS will add a new sector for UPS to handle PM pickups like Express does, so this will be a bad idea unless they have PM couriers that is totally separate than the regular during-business-hours UPS drivers
We don't start here till 9:15 AM so with an hour break,it still gets us back well within the 12 hour max.

bbsam

Staff member
It's actually a huge money-maker for Home Delivery. Not sure what they charge the customer, but if I remember correctly the contractor is paid quite a handsome premium per package. We mainly get drug reps having "appointment" deliveries. Not necessarily in the p.m. but the same idea.

HomeDelivery

Why would it matter?

so we can hear the UPS drivers' points of view about this?

It's actually a huge money-maker for Home Delivery. Not sure what they charge the customer, but if I remember correctly the contractor is paid quite a handsome premium per package. We mainly get drug reps having "appointment" deliveries. Not necessarily in the p.m. but the same idea

I knew the contractor gets paid extra for appointments/ evening deliveries, but the driver like me doesn't see the extra pay for staying out later :( I do it anyways because I like to protect my boss