UPS Executive Jets?

sano

We have zero corporate jets, and when anybody flies on business, from the CEO down, they fly coach.
This is news to me. I would have assumed we have jets. Shouldn't this be published? I mean in the current business climate this should be part of our advertising campaign. In light of the Citi and the automakers PR nightmares concerning their jets we should be playing on this.

"The tightest ship in the shipping business. Our executives are not flying thier private jets to Washington to ask for a baleout. Our executives dont have private jets. Maybe thats why our executives arent asking for a baleout."

(ok that sentence may singelhandedly illustrate why I load the cars instead of working in marketing):happy-very:

I work at Corporate and the CEO doesn't even have a reserved parking place. They have to park with the rest of us. However, their offices are on their own floor and only accessible through a special glass door. Can't just walk by their offices and say hi. They eat in the cafeteria with the rest of us, no special reserved table.

BigBrownSanta

I work at Corporate and the CEO doesn't even have a reserved parking place. They have to park with the rest of us. However, their offices are on their own floor and only accessible through a special glass door. Can't just walk by their offices and say hi. They eat in the cafeteria with the rest of us, no special reserved table.

In my building, if you are a top donor to United Way, you get reserved parking. Are you telling us the CEO was not the top United Way donor this year?

What kind of example is that setting for the rest of us?:wink2:

bad company

semi-pro

So what kind of car does our lovely CEO drive? Just curious...

Jumpseat is always the first option. If that schedule doesnt work, then flying coach is the way they go. I too have flown in coach with other executives. We have 1700 flights or so a day around the world, so it is rare that one of our jets can't get them where they "need" to be. And we can't jumpseat for personal use like years past. There is also a jumpseat program that allows pilots from other airlines to fly on our jets....so we are saving them money as well...so nice of us...SO WHERE IS MY RAISE AND MY 401K MATCH!?!?!?!?!

Sammie

If O. turned in his double decker 747, that would set an example. These things are so danged huge that Sweden uses one as a hotel at one of their airports. Why the need for a big old honking 747 while flying around the U.S. anyway? Couldn't a smaller jet with less "footprint" and less cost still have adequate security? A 707 worked just fine for Eisenhower, Kennedy and Clinton...

And why isn't Citi cancelling it's naming rights to the new Mets stadium? It's only a $400 million purchase! Or at least change the name to Citi/Taxpayer Field.

Speaking of corporate slime, anyone think China comes down too hard on corporate crime? Their Food and Arug Administrator, who accepted one too many bribes, let alone the anti freezed cough syrup, the tainted dog food and the tooth paste, is gonzo. His assistant got life. Death penalty and life sentences over the Chinese contaminated milk. In 2004, four people are no more for $15 mill in bank fraud. That would make some folks stop and think!!!!

All in favor of a one way ticket to the Orient for the big shots at Enron,
Worldcom, Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase, etc., etc....say AYE!

705red

Browncafe Steward
When Corporate Department Managers and the Management Committe members fly, they don't all take the same flight either, in the event of an accident.
Now here lies the problem! Now lets just say they were all on the same flight and the plane crash landed in to the Hudson! But the emergency exits were gorilla glued! How much do you think the stock would rise the next day? All hypothetical!

drewed

Shankman
If O. turned in his double decker 747, that would set an example. These things are so danged huge that Sweden uses one as a hotel at one of their airports. Why the need for a big old honking 747 while flying around the U.S. anyway? Couldn't a smaller jet with less "footprint" and less cost still have adequate security? A 707 worked just fine for Eisenhower, Kennedy and Clinton...

And why isn't Citi cancelling it's naming rights to the new Mets stadium? It's only a $400 million purchase! Or at least change the name to Citi/Taxpayer Field.

Speaking of corporate slime, anyone think China comes down too hard on corporate crime? Their Food and Arug Administrator, who accepted one too many bribes, let alone the anti freezed cough syrup, the tainted dog food and the tooth paste, is gonzo. His assistant got life. Death penalty and life sentences over the Chinese contaminated milk. In 2004, four people are no more for $15 mill in bank fraud. That would make some folks stop and think!!!!

All in favor of a one way ticket to the Orient for the big shots at Enron,
Worldcom, Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase, etc., etc....say AYE!
Clinton had the 747 too...and you skipped a couple presidents.....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The very first time I posted on this site was to find out if the egalitarianism of UPS as described in the book Driving Change was for real. I got a bunch of flak for even asking, but a lot of folks did defend the fact that UPS walked it's talk.

After reading the responses to this post I have to say that I'm honestly very impressed that your execs actually do walk their talk, especially in regard to the issue of business flying. Plus, no reserved parking, executive bathrooms etc. that help distinguish the "elite" from the "workers".

More companies, my own included, need to learn the same lesson. I'd have much more respect for FedEx upper management if they stopped acting like royalty and came back down to earth for awhile. This is especially critical now, as they ask us to take cuts while they still enjoy their same costly and alienating menu of perks. They preach PSP, yet do the exact opposite. Everyone sees the hypocrisy and their effectiveness is therby greatly diminished.

It sounds like Mr. Casey's basic ideals are still working at UPS. He had it right from the get-go. Perhaps Fred should pick-up a copy of Driving Change and have one of his servants read it to him.

drewed

Shankman
Its a pretty good read, I thought I knew a fair amount UPS but it opens up your eyes to the grand scale and scheme of things

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Might also take a look at paychecks at UPS. I would bet your least VP makes more than our CEO?

The difference between our starting rate, or say the rate of a driver compared to our CEO as a percentage, then do the same for FDX and see what you get.

d

drewed

Shankman
Fred S last year made 8.67 million (without stock)
Eskew made 1.25 million (without stock)
UPS Driver makes lets say 65k making the CEO making slightly more then 19 his salary
For a fedex driver to have the same ratio he would have to make......450, 858