UPS Feeder Job & "Disability Accommodation"

I am a Class A CDL holder whom is restricted to the automatic tractor. My question is, is there any accommodation that could be made to someone who is in the predicament of not being able to remove the restriction due to medical reasons? I know a lot of the facilities have a lot of both auto and man.

But when I applied last year, I had a hard time getting any answer of accommodation back because during the UPS hiring process, they use a 3rd party agency to handle applications, and there was a heavy language barrier on the other parties' end.

Even though I am not apart of the UPS Teamsters Union, or pay dues - would contacting them be a help for this situation if I wanted to pursue a career there later?

nWo

I doubt UPS will hire you if you have a preexisting disability. Might not be legal but UPS will just say put down they didn't hire you because you suck.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You just need to get past the 3rd party Indian HR. Once you get scheduled a road test then you will be talking to the local supervisors.
Or
Apply for this job at cartage and see if you can transfer to a driver job when available

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I am a Class A CDL holder whom is restricted to the automatic tractor. My question is, is there any accommodation that could be made to someone who is in the predicament of not being able to remove the restriction due to medical reasons? I know a lot of the facilities have a lot of both auto and man.

But when I applied last year, I had a hard time getting any answer of accommodation back because during the UPS hiring process, they use a 3rd party agency to handle applications, and there was a heavy language barrier on the other parties' end.

Even though I am not apart of the UPS Teamsters Union, or pay dues - would contacting them be a help for this situation if I wanted to pursue a career there later?

No what your asking is ridiculous
If you wanna drive a feeder learn how to shift gears and operate a clutch

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider

The majority of the tractors in our fleet at my hub are autos. You are still going to have to take your state exam in a manual. Auto restricted CDL’s are “useless to us”. My onroad’s words, not mine. My clutch knee hurts and swells up too when I’m in one all day. Take some Tylenol and suck it up like the rest of us.

The majority of the tractors in our fleet at my hub are autos. You are still going to have to take your state exam in a manual. Auto restricted CDL’s are “useless to us”. My onroad’s words, not mine. My clutch knee hurts and swells up too when I’m in one all day. Take some Tylenol and suck it up like the rest of us.
Almost everyone who trains in our feeder classes have auto restrictions. Maybe a handful of people, mayyyybe a smaaalll handful of people in the last few years are allowed to drive manuals.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Almost everyone who trains in our feeder classes have auto restrictions. Maybe a handful of people, mayyyybe a smaaalll handful of people in the last few years are allowed to drive manuals.
Oh. Well then there’s hope for this wimp after all.

qdg2

My experience was completely contrary to this statement. 180 degrees opposite.

My experience was completely contrary to this statement. 180 degrees opposite.
Went to class in Oct '20 and was only the third driver that year to qualify on a standard. I got my CDL in 2000, and the other two had previous experience with them as well. I don't know if they let anyone even attempt qualidying on a manual anymore without experience.

Johney

No manuals left in our building, that I’m aware of.
I think the issue would be say you break down at another building and need to leave your tractor there? I’ve had that happen on a few occasions and believe me I got their junkyard tractor to drive back. When the day comes that all the manual transmission tractors are gone everywhere then it won’t be an issue. I know my old building still had a couple left.

I think the issue would be say you break down at another building and need to leave your tractor there? I’ve had that happen on a few occasions and believe me I got their junkyard tractor to drive back. When the day comes that all the manual transmission tractors are gone everywhere then it won’t be an issue. I know my old building still had a couple left.
We also get quite a few rentals with standard transmissions.

robot

Has A Large Member
I wish the new tractors came in manual. I think manual is fun to drive. Drove one for the first time in years the other week and I had a blast. Like riding a bike. Still floating gears like a champ 😎

qdg2

Went to class in Oct '20 and was only the third driver that year to qualify on a standard. I got my CDL in 2000, and the other two had previous experience with them as well. I don't know if they let anyone even attempt qualidying on a manual anymore without experience.
I'm curious how this "no experience no try" would shake out in a grievance.

There were NO auto's when I got my cdl 20 years ago, so not a factor.

I realize they can DQ you for any reason really. But, never heard of them eliminating from even trying. That alone could represent literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in time. Even a career. It's hard to believe really.