UPS finally recognized as a player in the Logistics industry

Re-Raise

As I go through life, I meet many people that are in positions higher up in the transportation and logistics business.

I usually mention that I am with UPS and the number of years as an employee.

Every single person comments on how much they admire UPS especially in the last 10 years.

They say they did not think much of UPS 15 - 20 years ago but that UPS has changed and really become a player in the Logistics industry.

Just another point of view to think about as we scurry about like ants in the vast collective called UPS.

He usually hides his "shilliness" better than this.

I mean is this supposed to be for real? They only started respecting UPS in the last 10 years because we are involved in "logistics"?

I guess my acquaintances are more old school, and only loved us when we were "Synchronizing the World of Commerce".

Catatonic

Nine Lives
He usually hides his "shilliness" better than this.

I mean is this supposed to be for real? They only started respecting UPS in the last 10 years because we are involved in "logistics"?

I guess my acquaintances are more old school, and only loved us when we were "Synchronizing the World of Commerce".

I only reported what I heard and it surprised me as well.
When one reads all the whining and complaining on here and hears negativity within the work place, it would be assumed UPS is falling apart.
The perception from outside of the company appears to be that UPS has gotten better, at least with this specific group of people.

The close-minded inability of some people to consider a perspective other than their own little world with their own self-centered interests continues to amaze me.
I really don't care personally ... I spend my a good deal of my life around self-centered me-me people and I have learned it is not my job to help them think better and expand their minds. I just find them amusing more than anything else.

Thanks for making me feel better about myself.

Re-Raise

I only reported what I heard and it surprised me as well.
When one reads all the whining and complaining on here and hears negativity within the work place, it would be assumed UPS is falling apart.
The perception from outside of the company appears to be that UPS has gotten better, at least with this specific group of people.

The close-minded inability of some people to consider a perspective other than their own little world with their own self-centered interests continues to amaze me.
I really don't care personally ... I spend my a good deal of my life around self-centered me-me people and I have learned it is not my job to help them think better and expand their minds. I just find them amusing more than anything else.

Thanks for making me feel better about myself.

If it makes you feel better I find you amusing as well.

Making you feel better about yourself is one of my poor, uneducated driver goals.

I am sorry I was too close-minded to understand the generosity of your original post and the purpose that it served to inspire the lowly frontline troops.

I will try harder to be inspired next time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
1) Making you feel better about yourself is one of my poor, uneducated driver goals.

2) I am sorry I was too close-minded to understand the generosity of your original post and the purpose that it served to inspire the lowly frontline troops.

3) I will try harder to be inspired next time.

1) Your not poor - you make more than the educated me-me people I am around. They whine and complain just like everybody else.
"Educated" has nothing to do with it ... the ability to see outside of one's own interests and world is not bound or particularly influenced by education. Some of the people I have respected the most in my life had a high school education or less.

2) I wasn't trying to inspire anyone. I am am not your leader or even interested in your plight or morale. That's your problem, not mine.

3) I could not care less so don't do it for me.

Re-Raise

1) Your not poor - you make more than the educated me-me people I am around. They whine and complain just like everybody else.
"Educated" has nothing to do with it ... the ability to see outside of one's own interests and world is not bound or particularly influenced by education. Some of the people I have respected the most in my life had a high school education or less.

The proper spelling is you're not poor , not "your not poor", and you're right I am not. I am also far from uneducated.

What do you do for UPS? I know you work in Atlanta. Are you in public relations or involved with Upsers.com or something?

I am interested in where your unique perspective comes from , because you seem to be very far removed from the operations side of UPS that we deal with every day.

Re-Raise

I spent 19 years in the district and it was not easy then and it is harder now.

Only remotely aware and I understand how lucky I am to be so.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I am really curious what your position is with the company. If you aren't comfortable disclosing it, I understand.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I am not trying to be argumentative, but I am really curious what your position is with the company. If you aren't comfortable disclosing it, I understand.

OK ... I thought about it and I see no reason anyone at UPS would object to this job description:

I work as a process-based "Project Manager" with the title of "Initiative Coordinator" of Customer Facing Technology projects.
Mostly these are ups.com related initiatives but also other areas of the company and occasionally Operations used technology.
I'm usually working on a cross-functional team of 15 - 20 people with meetings and calls 5-6 hours a day.
Decisions are made by consensus although I have to make sure these decisions are sound, within scope of the authorized effort and we get things done on schedule.
I get assigned a new set of technology initiatives every 6 months and hand off the previous set to others who ensure the initiative is designed, built, tested and implemented as prescribed in the requirements and specifications that come out of the process in which I am involved.

ActionJaxson

Life is good when you have a job and the bills get paid.
We will always want the ability to pursue bigger and better things in all we do, it's human nature.
Changes to what we do make us uncomfortable. Some changes are for the good of the company and not so good for the employees.
We all have something in common - we chose to be here after deciding on the best course of action typically after rejecting other alternatives.

Question is : Do we have the power to change?