UPS Freight guys need a voice.

Fullhouse

Call this thread trolling if you will, but I for one believe that the UPS Freight guys need to start looking into having a stronger voice within their own respective Local. Locals have elections every three years, and you guys have been organized long enough to be qualified to run for Local Union office. Some of the major hubs have hundreds of members, sometimes that is enough to influence an election or some elected officials in office.
It's just going to take a few who are willing to be a voice for their fellow employees and then step up to the plate. I have talked to many UPSF in my local and the story is the same. Our BA never shows up and when he does he tries to deal with our problems by trying to relate to the NMFA. I have tried to convince them that they need to look into running for office but they seem not to have the time or they just wish to remain neutral and keep the peace with the BA.
Until that changes, be prepared to remain second class members!

skippy17

we need to get more contact between union stewards in each state to get us all on the same page. I was going to run just to get ups freight on board we also have a terrible ba someone went against him but didn't qualify. I agre we need to do something we only have about 24 months

grumpy

You are right. I just read that ups is going to start up the 401k with a match starting in Jan, but only to the package side. Now that really made us feel like the red headed step child. I can not speak for others but I did not know that we could run for an office spot in the union.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are right. I just read that ups is going to start up the 401k with a match starting in Jan, but only to the package side. Now that really made us feel like the red headed step child. I can not speak for others but I did not know that we could run for an office spot in the union.

We're not getting the 401k match on the package side. That is reserved for management and the AMT's.

grumpy

I read in on the ing website, were our 401k is in limbo he-hockeysticks. They are going to start it for all you on the package side Jan 2 2011. Check it out.

grumpy

I just looked it back up to make sure and even printed it out. ING is the investment company, and it states that effective Jan 1, 2011 UPS will introduce the new savingsPlus plan. They will match 50 % on the dollar up to 5 %, and 100% up tp 3.5 %. It does not say managment just employees. Then it states that UPS Freight is not available we continue to evaluate the business considerations necessary to support this benefit.
To learn more about it go to upssavings.ingplans.com
And thats all she wrote.

grumpy

okey, well thats great, but did you look the one I wrote you, because you are going to be offered it in Jan 2011. Our teamster 401k, does not offer a match at all. Does yours ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

okey, well thats great, but did you look the one I wrote you, because you are going to be offered it in Jan 2011. Our teamster 401k, does not offer a match at all. Does yours ?

Yes, I went to the website, entered my social, and was told that I am not eligible to participate in that 401k. We participate in the Prudential 401k plan and, no, we do not receive a match.

brownIEman

grumpy,
Upstate is correct. The articles you read did a poor job of spelling it out, but the 401k match is something that UPS package management only used to get. It was suspended along with the raise in 2009, and is going to be reinstated in an altered form, in 2011. That is what they are talking about. And it is UPS Freight management who it is talking about when it says the company is evaluating business needs.

brownIEman

BrownIEman,
What is the "altered form" that will re-instated for small package management in 2011?

I believe it will go from a 100% match up to 3% to a 50% match up to 5%. so 2.5% free money instead of 3%, but in order to get the 2.5% participants must save more of their own, thereby incouraging more savings. Have not looked at the specifics, this is just what I have been told.

skippy17

All sounds good, but we can't even get the guys to mail in there vote- Yes they will complain a few more years because BA still the same.

espy000

I totally agree with you. Power is by numbers and our problem is the numbers..lol .Our shop is I.A.M. and we only have 35 employees and our BA never comes around or gets anything done. All I get out of him is the economy is bad. Everyone is keeping their overhead as low as possible. And says the company is struggling.

ronroper

The first thing we need is a union!
I am a shop steward and our business agent will not even listen to me.
I confronted him about our junior man setting at home while every member in our terminal is putting in fifty to sixty hours plus a week, he replied "times are tough" and walked away.
We submitted a petition with eighty percent of the members requesting a chief steward election, the b.a. refused the request.
We submitted a request to change locals with eighty percent of the members signing a petition to both the local and washington d.c. and were denied.
We are represented by teamsters local 682, a construction local that does not care about it's members.
Ronroper

espy000

The first thing we need is a union!
I am a shop steward and our business agent will not even listen to me.
I confronted him about our junior man setting at home while every member in our terminal is putting in fifty to sixty hours plus a week, he replied "times are tough" and walked away.
We submitted a petition with eighty percent of the members requesting a chief steward election, the b.a. refused the request.
We submitted a request to change locals with eighty percent of the members signing a petition to both the local and washington d.c. and were denied.
We are represented by teamsters local 682, a construction local that does not care about it's members.
Ronroper

Would love to have overtime here....we are lucky to get any overtime maybe twice a year