UPS freight question

wornoutupser

Hello all,

I am a package driver in Central Florida and I am confused about a Freight issue.

I regularly see trailers that still have Overnight on the sides and gypsy tractors hauling them inland from the east coast of Florida. The tractors have magnetic UPS freight signs on the doors.

What going on?

Hello all,

I am a package driver in Central Florida and I am confused about a Freight issue.

I regularly see trailers that still have Overnight on the sides and gypsy tractors hauling them inland from the east coast of Florida. The tractors have magnetic UPS freight signs on the doors.
ups doesnt want to spend the money on old equipment. All the newer replacement vehicles have the UPS logo on them. the older equipment with a short life span, they will run them to the wheels fall off!
What going on?

UPSGUY72

Hello all,

What going on?

UPS doesn't want to spend the money to change the logo so they are just going to keep using the the old tractors and trailers the way they are until they aren't road worthy any more.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
A while ago (within a decade) UPS bought Overnight trucking which owned Motor Cargo. As the equipment needs replaced, UPS will update with UPS Freight logo's and color schemes.

Johney

They are independent tractors with the magnetic UPS Freight sign over them.
Are you sure they aren't just old Overnite tractors with a UPS magnet over it? That's how they were here until they got the new equipment. The old ones were grey tractors.

wornoutupser

Pick your color or brand of tractor and slap a magnetic UPS Freight sign on it. That is what I am seeing. Where are the union employees?

Johney

Pick your color or brand of tractor and slap a magnetic UPS Freight sign on it. That is what I am seeing. Where are the union employees?
What I'm saying is how do you know that the driver's are not UPS drivers or old Overnite drivers? When UPS acquired them years ago around here all their trucks just had the magnet on the door some here still do, not many but some. Also they all have UPS uniforms not brown but grey.

sppollock

What you are seeing is rented tractors from UPS Freight with a UPS Freight magnet on the side. We have several trucks that are rented and we just put a magnet on with our logo and numbers on it and our teams run. When a new truck comes into the system they will return the trucks to the vendor.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Hello all, I am a package driver in Central Florida and I am confused about a Freight issue. I regularly see trailers that still have Overnight on the sides and gypsy tractors hauling them inland from the east coast of Florida. The tractors have magnetic UPS freight signs on the doors. What going on?
A couple of possibilities:
  1. Those are UPS Freight TRUCKLOAD, which is non-union
  2. The current (first) UPSF LTL contract has a loophole allowing subcontracting road runs; which UPS has of course exploited greatly.