UPS GOLF CARTS

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's a WSJ article so this is all you can read ...

United Parcel Service Inc. uses jumbo jets, hybrid electric vans and, sometimes, drones to deliver nearly 5 billion packages each year. But a push into a less glamorous transportation method—golf carts—has touched a nerve with drivers in one of its home bases.

Starting Thursday, UPS can use golf carts to deliver packages in Kentucky thanks to a new state law allowing delivery drivers to use the vehicles on public roads. The company plans to use retrofitted golf carts to complement its fleet of brown delivery trucks...

Give us money if you want to read more ...

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It's a WSJ article so this is all you can read ...

United Parcel Service Inc. uses jumbo jets, hybrid electric vans and, sometimes, drones to deliver nearly 5 billion packages each year. But a push into a less glamorous transportation method—golf carts—has touched a nerve with drivers in one of its home bases.

Starting Thursday, UPS can use golf carts to deliver packages in Kentucky thanks to a new state law allowing delivery drivers to use the vehicles on public roads. The company plans to use retrofitted golf carts to complement its fleet of brown delivery trucks...

Give us money if you want to read more ...
Correction to UPS Golf Cart story

But union leaders, who had opposed the legislation, argue that having the vehicles share the road with cars and trucks puts workers at risk. They also object because at UPS golf cart drivers earn less than traditional truck drivers.

"They're just looking to pay the drivers less at the expense of the safety," said James DeWeese, a member of Teamsters Local 89, which represents UPS drivers in Kentucky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Sounds like the company wants helpers to work independently, which to me, makes then a driver, not a helper.

wkmac

Anonymous hacked this secret video of the next generation package car from UPS Top Secret Testing Lab located in "Parts Unknown", yeah same place as all those masked wrestlers, that is capable of compact car gas mileage and extra package capacity making use of the dead space under the vehicle. In more aquatic areas, the concept package car can take on amphibious features thus cutting time-n-transit issues and beating the competition.

You should see what they have planned in Feeder. :surprise:

wkmac

Sounds like the company wants helpers to work independently, which to me, makes then a driver, not a helper.

Maybe UPS is thinking of eliminating the Package Car driver position and putting golf cart drivers in their place.

Bet this is what I keep hearing about regarding what is called "the nuclear option" on next year's contract. I work down the street from Corp and it's been all the talk for the last several months.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I agree with the Teamsters on this one:
But union leaders, who had opposed the legislation, argue that having the vehicles share the road with cars and trucks puts workers at risk. They also object because at UPS golf cart drivers earn less than traditional truck drivers.

"They're just looking to pay the drivers less at the expense of the safety," said James DeWeese, a member of Teamsters Local 89, which represents UPS drivers in Kentucky.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Maybe UPS is thinking of eliminating the Package Car driver position and putting golf cart drivers in their place.

Bet this is what I keep hearing about regarding what is called "the nuclear option" on next year's contract. I work down the street from Corp and it's been all the talk for the last several months.
Good luck getting bulk on that thing.