UPS Hierarchy

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I've wondered for sometime how many management levels are in UPS?

How many levels are between a Center Manager to a District Manager?

Is a Building Manager equal to a Center Manager or higher?

How many levels between a DM and a Regional Manager?

I've heard reference to a 'level 32' (or maybe it was a 23, or some number above 20). Where do they fall in the hierarchy?

I've always had a fascination with logistics, how things work. When I was new at UPS I'd sometimes walk around the hub after my shift and just marvel at all the belts and slides, and what path it seemed a package would take from the unload to my boxline to my car. I have a similar wonderment concerning the bureaucracy of UPS.

oldngray

nowhere special
rolls-down-hill.jpg

beentheredonethat

I've wondered for sometime how many management levels are in UPS?

How many levels are between a Center Manager to a District Manager?

Is a Building Manager equal to a Center Manager or higher?

How many levels between a DM and a Regional Manager?
That used to be an easy question a while ago, but now it's not as easy.
In the past a pkg ctr mgr was a grade 16, his\her boss was a pkg div mgr which was a grad 18. His\her boss was the operations manager ~ grade 19/20. His\her boss was the district mgr ~ grade 22-24. The district mgr reported to the region mgr gr 26.

Building manager I'm guessing is a local term. That's not an official term i've heard of.

In the last few years they have changed the structure of management. It used to be a pkg ctr mgr and hub sort mgr were equal. Similarly, an IE section leader was also a manager and equal to a center manager.

Now, we have all the various jobs being a different levels. An On road supervisor is a higher classification then a preload supervisor, who is higher then an local sort supervisor. Similarly, IE section leaders are higher classification then a hub sort mgr but the IE section leader was equal to the pkg ctr mgr. An IE team lead would be higher still.

oldngray

nowhere special
IE ranking higher than people in operations is probably one of the causes of why things are so messed up. IE world view is seldom equal to reality. I wonder when IE got inflated since that used to be where the dead weight got sent.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
IE ranking higher than people in operations is probably one of the causes of why things are so messed up. IE world view is seldom equal to reality. I wonder when IE got inflated since that used to be where the dead weight got sent.
The reason an IE Manager is a higher grade is to justify the pay rate.
An engineering degree is required and companies have to pay for that.
Hierarchically, the IE Manager has no authority over any other manager (Hub, Center or otherwise).
The multiple levels of supervisors and managers in various functions were created by HR so HR could fine-tune salary based on outside compensation pressures.

The old world was everyone was paid pretty much the same regardless of required skill levels and outside compensation pressures.

oldngray

nowhere special
The reason an IE Manager is a higher grade is to justify the pay rate.
An engineering degree is required and companies have to pay for that.
Hierarchically, the IE Manager has no authority over any other manager (Hub, Center or otherwise).
The multiple levels of supervisors and managers in various functions were created by HR so HR could fine-tune salary based on outside compensation pressures.

The old world was everyone was paid pretty much the same regardless of required skill levels and outside compensation pressures.

IE needs an engineering degree now? I thought they just had to be able to solve most of the puzzles in the Incredible Machine series or at least solve a Rubic's Cube in under 2 minutes.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
jabba2-1.jpg
my DM is on the body by Jabba diet...the last time I was called to his office, I spent half the time listening to his you're a POS speech, and half waiting for the chair he was leaning back in to break...lol. It was tough keeping a straight face.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
IE needs an engineering degree now? I thought they just had to be able to solve most of the puzzles in the Incredible Machine series or at least solve a Rubic's Cube in under 2 minutes.
UPS has entered the age of specialization whereas in our day it was generalization.

In my first 20 years, I had 11 different jobs in 5 different departments.
In my last 20, I had 2 different jobs in the same department.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
UPS has entered the age of specialization whereas in our day it was generalization.

I specialize in one job, working as instructed, without violating the prime directive of safety or policy.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Enough of the BS on levels of management. What we all want to know on here, is what is your feeling on how the management is now and what it has become? Inquiring minds want to know because honestly dude, and this is just my opinion of you from what I read and after my assessment and evaluation of you is, dude your too cool of a cat to have been playing these shady management games. You just seem like a decent person unlike some of these :censored2:s in management that's all. Just my personal opinion dude and being completely honest that's all. Just wanted to share that, carry on lol. JMAN:peaceful:

PT Car Washer

Enough of the BS on levels of management. What we all want to know on here, is what is your feeling on how the management is now and what it has become? Inquiring minds want to know because honestly dude, and this is just my opinion of you from what I read and after my assessment and evaluation of you is, dude your too cool of a cat to have been playing these shady management games. You just seem like a decent person unlike some of these :censored2:s in management that's all. Just my personal opinion dude and being completely honest that's all. Just wanted to share that, carry on lol. JMAN:peaceful:
I would agree. Decent person and a great boss. And after 40 years a master at shady management games. Just my opinion.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Building manager I'm guessing is a local term. That's not an official term i've heard of.

First off, thanks for that info!

I believe what we called "building mgr" was actually the operation mgr you mentioned. I remember other managers reporting to the one I knew of.

What hand, if any, does the operations mgr have concerning the package operation? I always thought a "bldg mgr" and center mgr were equivalent responsibilities, although looking at it now it's kind of obvious an operations mgr has more to deal with. Can an operations mgr give directives to center mgrs?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

On what level is Myron Gray? Just curious. ..

Related to jman's question, is UPS hiring more district and regional managers based more on educational credentials rather than operations experience?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
On what level is Myron Gray? Just curious. ..

Related to jman's question, is UPS hiring more district and regional managers based more on educational credentials rather than operations experience?
Myron Gray is above a Region Manager level - probably a 27 or so. He reports to the CEO.

UPS is certainly hiring people (District and Region managers as well) based on educational level but more so business acumen. Operations experience is a plus but a person can be rotated into a District Manager position to give them operational experience.

beentheredonethat

First off, thanks for that info!

I believe what we called "building mgr" was actually the operation mgr you mentioned. I remember other managers reporting to the one I knew of.

What hand, if any, does the operations mgr have concerning the package operation? I always thought a "bldg mgr" and center mgr were equivalent responsibilities, although looking at it now it's kind of obvious an operations mgr has more to deal with. Can an operations mgr give directives to center mgrs?

The center manager is in charge of his center consisting of anywhere from a dozen to 8 dozen drivers. (roughly). A pkg div mgr reports to his \ her boss the division manager and the division manager reports to the pkg operations manager. Even though I've never really heard of the term "building manager" My guess is at most the person is a div mgr. If the building you work in has 1 center (no hub) then the term probably is equivalent to pkg center manager. If the building you work in has 3 or more centers or the building is a large hub with multiple sorts, then the building manager may be a division manager (either pkg or hub division mgr).

As far as what hand each level has, it's basically a matter of overseeing a wider range of issues the higher up the ladder you go. The division manager for 6-8 pkg centers isn't necessarily concerned about an individual route. He\she is concerned more with overall metrics such as SPC\SPORH. He\she gets their goals from higher up (overall spc\sporh\ndpph etc) they work with IE to parse out the plans to the individual centers.