UPS hiring at $18.00 an hour

JL 0513

Pretty amazing how relatively fast wages have increased in recent years. I started PT in 2007 and it was $8.50/hr. In 2007, much of the markets prices were in line with today's prices, some things actually cost more. Real estate was similar to today's prices. Gas cost more. Yet look at the dramatic wage difference.

zimbomb

The union should drop all starting wage negotiations. Let the company and market decide. Add two simple rule's.

A starting/seasonal wage can not be more than union members in the same classification. Sets the floor, yearly wage increase still apply.

Union member wages can not regress.

That's all they would have to do. Get out of the muck. I'd also drop any scale negotiations and push for a 2 year progression. Driving a truck is not a skilled trade. 2 peak seasons at market rate is a fair progression.

Up In Smoke

Pretty amazing how relatively fast wages have increased in recent years. I started PT in 2007 and it was $8.50/hr. In 2007, much of the markets prices were in line with today's prices, some things actually cost more. Real estate was similar to today's prices. Gas cost more. Yet look at the dramatic wage difference.
Started in 1987 at $8.00 when minimum wage was $3.35. Bought a duplex in 1988 ($30.00 sq ft). Still own and worth $150.00 sq ft. So, $.50 in nearly 20 yrs while the minimum wage went to $5.85 is embarrassing

JL 0513

Started in 1987 at $8.00 when minimum wage was $3.35. Bought a duplex in 1988 ($30.00 sq ft). Still own and worth $150.00 sq ft. So, $.50 in nearly 20 yrs while the minimum wage went to $5.85 is embarrassing

I remember being shocked hearing back in my first years that I wasn't making much more than what UPS started you out in the '80's. Made no sense that the union all those years failed to get any increase. And if course, adjusted for inflation, the 2007 wage was essentially half that of the late '80's.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The union should drop all starting wage negotiations. Let the company and market decide. Add two simple rule's.

A starting/seasonal wage can not be more than union members in the same classification. Sets the floor, yearly wage increase still apply.

Union member wages can not regress.

That's all they would have to do. Get out of the muck. I'd also drop any scale negotiations and push for a 2 year progression. Driving a truck is not a skilled trade. 2 peak seasons at market rate is a fair progression.
I honestly am not sure how it is now but i know just a contract or 2 ago PT wage progression was less than regular wage increases. How asinine is that? Just give them the wage increases if that is the case

PT Car Washer

Are you kidding. Many, many entry level jobs have odd hours, inconsistent raises and no insurance. Almost no part time jobs offer health insurance. At least UPS offers a fairly consistent schedule. Try working in restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, fast food. They will have you waking up 8 hrs after the end of your last shift to go in and open. And then cut you just at the right time to avoid paying you OT.
New Amazon warehouse opening nearby and offering $15/hr starting wage, healthcare benefits including dental and 401(k) from day 1 and a $500 bonus. I am sure their healthcare is not as good as UPS, but most people will not know this. Hiring 1000 people. A lot of their volume will be coming to our Hub to be sent out across the Midwest.

Brownslave688

New Amazon warehouse opening nearby and offering $15/hr starting wage, healthcare benefits including dental and 401(k) from day 1 and a $500 bonus. I am sure their healthcare is not as good as UPS, but most people will not know this. Hiring 1000 people. A lot of their volume will be coming to our Hub to be sent out across the Midwest.
I’m sure that should help your centers staffing situation. Lol

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
As a matter of fact the public should be alerted as to how much a package car driver is overpaid. $100,000 to drive a car? Yes there are changes coming! No wonder it costs so much to ship with UPS. Amazon will put UPS under.
More often than not I will get 3 separate deliveries in the same day from one Amazon order. I think once Amazon delivery has to be profitable you'll see their drivers walk or wages go way up. I show my paycheck to as many as I can to sow the Unionization seeds now.

FromOffTheStreets

More often than not I will get 3 separate deliveries in the same day from one Amazon order. I think once Amazon delivery has to be profitable you'll see their drivers walk or wages go way up. I show my paycheck to as many as I can to sow the Unionization seeds now.
Amazon doesn't have the ability to be profitable shipping wise. They "don't charge" for shipping.
They're going to have to find millions of NDA & over weights to make some profit. Their also going to have to stay away from all rurals.
I think Amazon shipping was conceived out of necessity because there isn't enough capacity @ the big 3 to deliver all of their $5 items.

Brownslave688

Amazon doesn't have the ability to be profitable shipping wise. They "don't charge" for shipping.
They're going to have to find millions of NDA & over weights to make some profit. Their also going to have to stay away from all rurals.
I think Amazon shipping was conceived out of necessity because there isn't enough capacity @ the big 3 to deliver all of their $5 items.
They simply raise the price of the goods enough to cover shipping costs...

zimbomb

They simply raise the price of the goods enough to cover shipping costs...
More like raise the cost of storage and fees on seller's. Indirectly price of goods increase and their own goods become more competitive. Amazon has their hands in everything and can just continue to leverage profits from one area to support another. Failure of existing infrastructure to meet their needs continue to push their need to grow and build. Covid stalled their plans for a shipping business, but once capacity allows it's back on the table. Hopefully the status quo holds till we get in the next contract.

jawhalen

Here's what I heard from someone who "got a job" at UPS. "I signed some paperwork stating that I would pay [the] worker's union (the teamsters) $250 initially + $40 per month. The UPS employees then told me to go home and wait."