UPS is a well oiled machine

BBAK

Banned
I sincerely mean that. The package operation you all have is the best around. I truly believe that UPS is one of the most efficient and well ran companies around.

So why is our Freight division such a joke?

During small packs peak season this past Christmas, me and about 10 other UPS Freight drivers in my area went over and drove the feeders for you guys. Talk about a night and day difference. The facilities were nicer, the people were nicer, everything was 10x as organized and efficient.

UPS Freight is a rag tag operation compared to the parcel side. We might have the same logo on our uniforms, but I have a hard time believing that we are the same company.

Overnite......Yeah, you'll get your freight, if we feel like it.

BBAK

Banned
But you still have those pretty blue and grey trucks.

Good point......Make sure your boots are polished and you don't have any stubble, gotta look good.......Here are the keys to your 20 year old blue International with bungie cords holding the hood down.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Good point......Make sure your boots are polished and you don't have any stubble, gotta look good.......Here are the keys to your 20 year old blue International with bungie cords holding the hood down.

We still have trucks on the road that were there when I started 23 years ago.

texan

Change does not occur easy.

Imagine the challenge we have with TNT ahead of us.

But we shall make it happen as a company. It is our legacy.

BBAK

Banned
We still have trucks on the road that were there when I started 23 years ago.

Yes, but they are maintained much better.....At least from what I saw in the 2 weeks I drove the feeders. I mean, you get back from your run, and you park it where a guy fuels it, checks the fluids, and washes it. Our tractors do not get washed. Never. We do not have a wash bay, or even a hose, and I am at a big terminal.

Our mechanics believe in slapping some duct tape or JB weld on to make some temporary repairs. They skimp on PMs big time. Those Macks and Sterlings you all have are poetry in motion compared to our old Internationals that are the same age.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Change does not occur easy.

Imagine the challenge we have with TNT ahead of us.

But we shall make it happen as a company. It is our legacy.

European labor laws and the differing attitudes to the role work plays in our lives will be among the biggest challenges. Think "Castaway" and the struggle Tom Hanks had instilling a "sense of urgency" in to the Russian couriers/package handlers. I know when I was in Sicily that they were a much more relaxed people who didn't focus on work. I quickly learned not to try to get anything done off-base during siesta.

RedThunder

We had a new Amazon warehouse open about 90 miles away from my center. During peak they were requesting a 100 empty trailers a day. They were sending volume everywhere to try and process it. UPS called nearest UPS Freight to see if any of there laid off drivers would like to move some of these loads instead of using subcontractors. UPS freight declined to send any drivers.

over9five

Staff member
We had a new Amazon warehouse open about 90 miles away from my center. During peak they were requesting a 100 empty trailers a day. They were sending volume everywhere to try and process it. UPS called nearest UPS Freight to see if any of there laid off drivers would like to move some of these loads instead of using subcontractors. UPS freight declined to send any drivers.
So did we lose the account, or did UPS do the right thing and promote some PC drivers?

BBAK

Banned
So did we lose the account, or did UPS do the right thing and promote some PC drivers?

Our head of dispatch told one of our biggest customers that we can't do their switches anymore because they were after 9pm. We have 22 drivers laid off, and even more not working, and plenty of guys that start around 4-5pm so they would be doing the switches on straight time, but we told them we can't do it anymore so Fedex Freight does it now. This was very easy freight and very profitable.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Our head of dispatch told one of our biggest customers that we can't do their switches anymore because they were after 9pm. We have 22 drivers laid off, and even more not working, and plenty of guys that start around 4-5pm so they would be doing the switches on straight time, but we told them we can't do it anymore so Fedex Freight does it now. This was very easy freight and very profitable.
You should turn in a sales lead, that will fix it.