UPS Issues Social Media Guidelines

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wondering what this means?
I thought it was interesting that neither the blog nor the PDF file mentions Brown Cafe but that is probably that this is a Branding concern.

This blog and PDF were posted on a blog site provider - Wordpress which I also use for a photography blog. Therefore, one can assume that this is information UPS wants to be copied and distributed. This information is also posted on UPSers.com under Think before you tweet.

There’s also a 4-page PDF of the full guidelines at the bottom of the page where this link takes you. Non-Union personnel should read this and take heed. Union represented employees should too but you know how certain people are ...

Note my new signature which includes the suggested UPS disclaimer as well as my Brown Cafe Moderation disclaimer.

The UPS blog post:
Have you ever posted something on Facebook, and instantly regretted it? Or responded to a rant on a discussion board with your own colorful adjectives?
Social media is often compared to a cocktail party. Lively conversation, good humor and interesting people. But unlike a cocktail party where a comment lingers momentarily, social media discussions often remain a permanent memory on the internet. Everything is searchable and Google never forgets.

We know UPSers take pride in their reputations – both personal and professional. To help our employees avoid some of the “pot holes” of social media, we’ve provided guidelines to help them smartly navigate online conversations.

http://blog.ups.com/2010/09/29/soci...feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+upsblog+(UPSide+Blog)

from PDF:

UPS Social Media Guidelines:

Use social media on your personal time and not on company time.
UPS supports employees’ rights to engage in social media activities during their personal
time. Limit activity to your personally-owned devices, and do not use the company’s
computer assets or network. Keep in mind that UPS e-mail addresses and computer assets
can be traced back to a UPS domain. It is important for UPSers to understand that when
they post to social media sites from within the UPS network, others will perceive that
they are speaking on behalf of the company.

Use a disclaimer.

Whether you publish to a blog or some other form of social media,
make it clear that what you say there is representative of your views and opinions and not
necessarily the views and opinions of UPS. At a minimum in your own blog, you should
include the following standard disclaimer: "The postings on this site are my own and
don't necessarily represent UPS's positions, strategies or opinions."

Last edited:

Nimnim

The Nim
The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent UPS's positions, strategies or opinions.

You know this could be a problem if I actually posted things on my facebook, or myspace, or friendster, or livejournal, or even deadjournal.

Otherwise I don't say anything here I wouldn't say to members of corporate anyways. Well I probably wouldn't make 5 guys remarks...

brownIEman

Just so everyone is clear

My postings on this site are my own and
don't necessarily represent UPS's positions, strategies or opinions

but they should...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I wonder if the Teamsters could sue Socks and UPS for his defamation and misrepresentation of the Union?
After all he openly states he is a member of UPS management.
I wonder if this site could be held liable?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I wonder if the Teamsters could sue Socks and UPS for his defamation and misrepresentation of the Union?
After all he openly states he is a member of UPS management.
I wonder if this site could be held liable?

Anybody can sue for anything ... better question is can they win in court.
Same chance that UPS could sue you and win.
Snowball's chance in hell I would guess.

However, this thread has nothing to do with suing.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've had the same signature for years now, so I think I'm covered, not that it matters, because personally, my name isn't even Steve.:wink2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Anybody can sue for anything ... better question is can they win in court.
Same chance that UPS could sue you and win.
Snowball's chance in hell I would guess.

However, this thread has nothing to do with suing.

The "Social Media Guide" has everything to do with getting sued and or fired over what we post, yes?
Doesn't seem like much of a tangent to me.

DS

Fenderbender
I feel that this is more of an attempt to keep up to date technologically than to start terminating everyone( that they can track down) that posts a demeaning comment about their company on the browncafe. But then again, I am not the one that initiated telematics and I plan on writing a catchy disclaimer like yours hoax:sad-little:

upandcomer

UPS is actually in some respects giving legal advice in their guidelines.

It would be such a shame if something negative happened to someone due to them using their real name on a forum. Like getting kidnapped, raped, assaulted because they gave their real name and location on this forum.

I know you are reading UPS, you might want to think about someone besides the company before you make comments that would open you up to legal liability, and risk the well being of UPS employees.

It just continues to show how out of touch UPS is with the real world.

Disclaimer: This is partially a UPS opinion due to me owning a tiny percentage of UPS stock.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Unfortunately I have already seen an employee walked for doing just what this video and blog are all about. Do not ever post something to the public on the internet while on company time or using company property.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
For now on the alphabet will consist of the following letters A B C D E friend G H I J K L M N O R T V W X Y Z and I work for an undisclosed company known for transporting boxes in the ugly colored trunks with only a two point seat belt. (any similarity to a company identified by the missing letters of the alphabet is purely coincidental)

over9five

Staff member
Over are you new? Of course they didn't tell him,he is following procedure.
CYA

I'm just curious. Some of us are known to Corporate. I wouldn't be surprised if Hoax was asked to post that on BrownCafe. It's nothing against Hoax, they know him as they know Steve and I. It would almost be likely that they'd ask him to post it, maybe in an aside off the record kind of thing.

Just asking....