UPS IT laying off 58 and older employees?

Developer

I work as a senior developer in the Parsippany building, and I overheard conversations today that all IT employees that are 58 and older received an email this past Wed. stating that a severance package is being offered to them as a means to end their employment. From what I overheard, it's :

3 month's salary
paid unused vacation days
1 week pay for every year of service dedicated to the company (20 years = 20 weeks pay).

If you don't accept this package by June, then you are on bought time until HR lays you off for other reasons while avoiding age discrimination.

Does anyone have more knowledge of this situation and why this is happening? I was naive to think this is a company I can retire with and they will take care of me if I work hard, but this sent me the message that they are ready to kick me to the curb when I turn 58. I also overheard this was done in 2008 as well, is that true?

A lot of knowledge is about to head out that door and I am seeing more and more consultants pop up in this building. My future has just become murkier with these actions.

Box Ox

Check out the third linked article down on the front page of BrownCafe titled "UPS Executives Look To Speed Up Transformation" for your answer.

Corporations gonna corporate.

Developer

Check out the third linked article down on the front page of BrownCafe titled "UPS Executives Look To Speed Up Transformation" for your answer.

Corporations gonna corporate.

Terrible, and they always make it sound so harmless. "The first involves a voluntary early retirement program available to nonunion management workers in nonoperations roles."

"Sign this deal or gtfo" sounds more accurate to me.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Terrible, and they always make it sound so harmless. "The first involves a voluntary early retirement program available to nonunion management workers in nonoperations roles."

"Sign this deal or gtfo" sounds more accurate to me.
What are you, new? You don’t see how this company starts people? Make money, save it, have good benefits, then move along.

Developer

Could be in a worse position than late 30s with widely in-demand skills. Do you do front end, back end or full stack, generally?

This position is/was a mix of front and back-end. But the company is invested in old technology and most of the current employees are outdated. I have to practice in outside hours to stay relevant. The so-called job security is what made this attractive, i was sick of startups.

dudebro

This position is/was a mix of front and back-end. But the company is invested in old technology and most of the current employees are outdated. I have to work in outside hours to stay relevant. The so-called job security is what made this attractive, i was sick of startups.
I don’t think they want as many IT people to leave, hence the 58 age limit to qualify for the buyout. If they wanted more IT ppl to leave, in my opinion, they would have offered the qualification at 55 like they did with other staff.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
no, i am in my late 30's.
Run while you can would be my advice.
You're a resource on a project plan ... basically like a driver.
The higher you get into management the more secure but that is not for sure.
What's your career path?
If your management does not have one for you, develop one yourself.
UPS is not a paternalistic company anymore ... don't plan on retiring at UPS unless you are at Program Manager level or above.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I work as a senior developer in the Parsippany building, and I overheard conversations today that all IT employees that are 58 and older received an email this past Wed. stating that a severance package is being offered to them as a means to end their employment. From what I overheard, it's :

3 month's salary
paid unused vacation days
1 week pay for every year of service dedicated to the company (20 years = 20 weeks pay).

If you don't accept this package by June, then you are on bought time until HR lays you off for other reasons while avoiding age discrimination.

Does anyone have more knowledge of this situation and why this is happening? I was naive to think this is a company I can retire with and they will take care of me if I work hard, but this sent me the message that they are ready to kick me to the curb when I turn 58. I also overheard this was done in 2008 as well, is that true?

A lot of knowledge is about to head out that door and I am seeing more and more consultants pop up in this building. My future has just become murkier with these actions.
Moved the relevant posts to a different forum that is more attuned to Management questions. This, in no way, ensures that subsequent posts will be sincere or relevant.

Tony Q

This position is/was a mix of front and back-end. But the company is invested in old technology and most of the current employees are outdated. I have to practice in outside hours to stay relevant. The so-called job security is what made this attractive, i was sick of startups.
It sounds like UPS is like the old USSR...