UPS-jobs at risk -POST OFFICE

island1fox

:dead:The Post office is in debt by Billions of dollars. They are protected by a government monopoly and tax payer dollars.
I am sure they there is no one who believes that the cost to ship ---county to county can be the same to ship across country.
They are and will recieve tax payer subsidies to undercut the true cost of shipping to take jobs away from UPS and the private sector.
While I am happy to see UPS take on the unfair RLA act with fedx ---- this type of unfair government competition should not be tolerated by UPS and the Teamsters.

P

pickup

:dead:The Post office is in debt by Billions of dollars. They are protected by a government monopoly and tax payer dollars.
I am sure they there is no one who believes that the cost to ship ---county to county can be the same to ship across country.
They are and will recieve tax payer subsidies to undercut the true cost of shipping to take jobs away from UPS and the private sector.
While I am happy to see UPS take on the unfair RLA act with fedx ---- this type of unfair government competition should not be tolerated by UPS and the Teamsters.

the phrase may not literally apply but I think it still has some merit:

You can't fight City Hall

bluehdmc

I think we (UPS) are the least of their concerns at this point.

They need to privatize the USPS.

I don't think privatization would necessarily be the cure. What would that do to postal rates?
The private company may have a low rate for mail between major cities, but what would it cost to mail a birthday card to your grandmother in Wherethefugowy, WY (population 26)?
What seems to be killing the post office is email/electronic billing and bill paying. It sure is convienient, but a lot of credit card companies, etc. push electronic billing. They save money on postage, the letter carrier loses the first class mail. The biggest thing keeping the Postal Service going seems to be junk mail.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think privatization would necessarily be the cure. What would that do to postal rates?
The private company may have a low rate for mail between major cities, but what would it cost to mail a birthday card to your grandmother in Wherethefugowy, WY (population 26)?
What seems to be killing the post office is email/electronic billing and bill paying. It sure is convienient, but a lot of credit card companies, etc. push electronic billing. They save money on postage, the letter carrier loses the first class mail. The biggest thing keeping the Postal Service going seems to be junk mail.

Exactly. I mail exactly one bill each month, for my electric, as the city I live in has not yet entered the 21st century and does not yet offer online bill paying. Everything else I do is online and, yes, more and more companies are pushing the online option. Nelnet, which services student loans, is trying really hard to convert all of their customers to electronic interaction with them.

I still remember the first time I ever paid a bill online. It didn't feel like I was spending money and I was very uneasy about the whole process. Now it is second nature.

Privatizing the post office would eliminate much of the waste and would greatly reduce the amount of junk mail. As for the rates, you may have a valid point and one that I had not considered, but I think that overall it is a necessary next step for the survival of the postal service. But, even before that, I do think they need to go to a 5 day delivery week, but I don't think skipping Tuesdays is the way to go. Go to a M-friend schedule.

outamyway

The last stamp I used, the first one in a long time, was used to pay a bill for a UPS package I shipped.

This is a bit off topic, but has anyone tried to set up an account(with billing and paying online invloved) through the UPS web site?

My god I've never seen so much red tape for something so simple.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The last stamp I used, the first one in a long time, was used to pay a bill for a UPS package I shipped.

This is a bit off topic, but has anyone tried to set up an account(with billing and paying online invloved) through the UPS web site?

I have one but I have it linked to a credit card.

sendagain

Our website at UPS is awful. Sometimes I give up trying to deal with it and just drive the box to a UPS Store. You'd think someone would pass on the info that the website is losing us business, but then you'd actually have to be able to post a complaint that would get processed through. I think there are huge ways to improve our company if anyone ever listened.

bigblu 2 you

Our website at UPS is awful. Sometimes I give up trying to deal with it and just drive the box to a UPS Store. You'd think someone would pass on the info that the website is losing us business, but then you'd actually have to be able to post a complaint that would get processed through. I think there are huge ways to improve our company if anyone ever listened.
if only it worked as well as the long-haired feminine guy works the {ups/whiteboard}.what a waste of company funds.

Overpaid Union Thug

Maybe if UPS and FedEx team up to fight the USPS we could open some eyes. I'm not sure that could happen now that FedEx has just got done playing dirty against UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Those Red Tape measures were put in place to prevent fraud. Savings to the company can pay Scott's salary several times over.

whiskey

Maybe if UPS and FedEx team up to fight the USPS we could open some eyes. I'm not sure that could happen now that FedEx has just got done playing dirty against UPS.
If FedEx and UPS did team up, we would be called "Fedups". Ok, there's got to be at least one person who hasn't heard that before.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I don't think Fred has many friends over at Brown these days. He's burned his bridges and all the roads that lead to them. Maybe the USPS and UPS should team-up to fight FedEx?

Maybe you know this, maybe you don't. FedEx flies most USPS Express Mail and some Priority Mail already. That's why you always see FedEx drop boxes in front of most post offices...that was part of the deal.

rwsmith67

Although I'm retired, I remember any one who played dirty with UPS, like the latest shenanigans from FDX, was usually dealt with, although it may take a while, they usually get there's in the end!!:anxious:

JonFrum

The Post Office hasn't received taxpayer dollars in many years.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
The Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 transformed the post office from department (or agency) of the government into a government-owned corporation. It last received an operational subsidy from the government in 1982.