UPS loses family's $846,000 inheritance, Offers To Refund $32 Shipping Fee

Discussion in 'The Latest UPS Headlines' started by cheryl, Dec 14, 2017.

1. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

UPS loses family's $846,000 inheritance- CBC

Bank draft goes missing and TD Canada Trust is in no rush to issue new one

An Ontario family is locked in a lengthy, three-way David vs. Goliaths battle after courier company UPS lost a bank draft worth more than $846,000 and TD Canada Trust — the bank that issued it — appears to be in no rush to issue a new one.

"It was a total surprise" Lorette Taylor told CBC News this week about the ordeal. "Never in my wildest imagination did I think something like this would happen."

Taylor and her husband John say they're at their wit's ends trying to recover the money.

2. rickyb

rickyb Well-Known Member

:censored2: td bank. they are invested in big oil.

3. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Canadian dollars.

Not like its real money.

4. rickyb

rickyb Well-Known Member

haha just wait till america is no longer reserve currency...or the next financial crisis.

5. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

I’d bet the bank draft envelope slipped into the crack at the end of a belt and was destroyed by the belt motor. Saw it happen several times when I was a preloader.

6. Ghost in the Darkness

Ghost in the Darkness Active Member

I think it was mispaled and delivered to United Way. Probably deposited and spent already on morning donuts and coffee.

7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Single digit midget!

The UPS tariff limits the amount that a check can be insured for------I am trying to look on ups.com but it is loading really slowly-----but I do know that a check for that amount cannot be insured for its full value.

8. Ghost in the Darkness

Ghost in the Darkness Active Member

Its funny though, funds came from the bank. Its not like the money was stolen and another check couldn't be written. This isn't a first time occurance I'm sure. Cancel out the first note, re-write. Its not like an original painting shipped then smashed by the local sort.

9. rod

rod retired and happy

I once found a NDA envelope wedged into the door channel of my P800. From the looks of it it had been there for years.

10. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  11. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Hadn't thought of that. Have curiously dug out 1 or 2 while on lunch myself.

12. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

so 10 months ago but because it's peak :censored2: UPS huh?

13. UpstateNYUPSer

From the UPS Terms of Service:

UPS does not accept for transportation and shippers are prohibited from shipping:

Coins, cash, currency, bonds, postage stamps, money orders and negotiable instruments (such as drafts, bills of exchange, or promissory notes, excluding checks).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

UPS will pay the stop payment fee on a check, they will not insure the value of the check

15. el blanco

el blanco Guest

I don't think a check for any amount can be insured

no intrinsic value, just a piece of paper

16. UpstateNYUPSer

This has already been covered.

TTKU

17. el blanco

el blanco Guest

go feed the cat, adults are talking here

18. 2033

2033 Well-Known Member

For that much money I'd drive the 880 km round trip.

19. LeadBelly

LeadBelly Banned

Should of been ent with the bitcoins

20. Kae3106

Kae3106 Active Member

Once a year my office receives a package of all loose foreign currency that has fallen out of packages. It's a pretty good sized package.