UPS loses family's $846,000 inheritance, Offers To Refund $32 Shipping Fee

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS loses family's $846,000 inheritance- CBC

Bank draft goes missing and TD Canada Trust is in no rush to issue new one

An Ontario family is locked in a lengthy, three-way David vs. Goliaths battle after courier company UPS lost a bank draft worth more than $846,000 and TD Canada Trust — the bank that issued it — appears to be in no rush to issue a new one.

"It was a total surprise" Lorette Taylor told CBC News this week about the ordeal. "Never in my wildest imagination did I think something like this would happen."

Taylor and her husband John say they're at their wit's ends trying to recover the money.

Box Ox

I’d bet the bank draft envelope slipped into the crack at the end of a belt and was destroyed by the belt motor. Saw it happen several times when I was a preloader.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The UPS tariff limits the amount that a check can be insured for------I am trying to look on ups.com but it is loading really slowly-----but I do know that a check for that amount cannot be insured for its full value.

Ghost in the Darkness

Its funny though, funds came from the bank. Its not like the money was stolen and another check couldn't be written. This isn't a first time occurance I'm sure. Cancel out the first note, re-write. Its not like an original painting shipped then smashed by the local sort.

rod

Retired 22 years
I’d bet the bank draft envelope slipped into the crack at the end of a belt and was destroyed by the belt motor. Saw it happen several times when I was a preloader.

I once found a NDA envelope wedged into the door channel of my P800. From the looks of it it had been there for years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

From the UPS Terms of Service:

UPS does not accept for transportation and shippers are prohibited from shipping:

Coins, cash, currency, bonds, postage stamps, money orders and negotiable instruments (such as drafts, bills of exchange, or promissory notes, excluding checks).

Turdferguson

Just a turd
The UPS tariff limits the amount that a check can be insured for------I am trying to look on ups.com but it is loading really slowly-----but I do know that a check for that amount cannot be insured for its full value.

UPS will pay the stop payment fee on a check, they will not insure the value of the check

E

el blanco

I don't think a check for any amount can be insured

no intrinsic value, just a piece of paper

Kae3106

From the UPS Terms of Service:

UPS does not accept for transportation and shippers are prohibited from shipping:

Coins, cash, currency, bonds, postage stamps, money orders and negotiable instruments (such as drafts, bills of exchange, or promissory notes, excluding checks).
Once a year my office receives a package of all loose foreign currency that has fallen out of packages. It's a pretty good sized package.