UPS loses family's $846,000 inheritance, Offers To Refund $32 Shipping Fee

Discussion in 'The Latest UPS Headlines' started by cheryl, Dec 14, 2017.

1. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

UPS loses family's $846,000 inheritance- CBC

Bank draft goes missing and TD Canada Trust is in no rush to issue new one

An Ontario family is locked in a lengthy, three-way David vs. Goliaths battle after courier company UPS lost a bank draft worth more than $846,000 and TD Canada Trust — the bank that issued it — appears to be in no rush to issue a new one.

"It was a total surprise" Lorette Taylor told CBC News this week about the ordeal. "Never in my wildest imagination did I think something like this would happen."

Taylor and her husband John say they're at their wit's ends trying to recover the money.

2. rickyb

rickyb Well-Known Member

:censored2: td bank. they are invested in big oil.

3. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Canadian dollars.

Not like its real money.

4. rickyb

rickyb Well-Known Member

haha just wait till america is no longer reserve currency...or the next financial crisis.

5. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

I’d bet the bank draft envelope slipped into the crack at the end of a belt and was destroyed by the belt motor. Saw it happen several times when I was a preloader.

6. Ghost in the Darkness

Ghost in the Darkness Well-Known Member

I think it was mispaled and delivered to United Way. Probably deposited and spent already on morning donuts and coffee.

7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

The UPS tariff limits the amount that a check can be insured for------I am trying to look on ups.com but it is loading really slowly-----but I do know that a check for that amount cannot be insured for its full value.

8. Ghost in the Darkness

Ghost in the Darkness Well-Known Member

Its funny though, funds came from the bank. Its not like the money was stolen and another check couldn't be written. This isn't a first time occurance I'm sure. Cancel out the first note, re-write. Its not like an original painting shipped then smashed by the local sort.

9. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

I once found a NDA envelope wedged into the door channel of my P800. From the looks of it it had been there for years.

10. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  11. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Hadn't thought of that. Have curiously dug out 1 or 2 while on lunch myself.

12. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

so 10 months ago but because it's peak :censored2: UPS huh?

13. UpstateNYUPSer

From the UPS Terms of Service:

UPS does not accept for transportation and shippers are prohibited from shipping:

Coins, cash, currency, bonds, postage stamps, money orders and negotiable instruments (such as drafts, bills of exchange, or promissory notes, excluding checks).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

UPS will pay the stop payment fee on a check, they will not insure the value of the check

15. el blanco

el blanco Guest

I don't think a check for any amount can be insured

no intrinsic value, just a piece of paper

16. UpstateNYUPSer

This has already been covered.

TTKU

17. el blanco

el blanco Guest

go feed the cat, adults are talking here

18. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

For that much money I'd drive the 880 km round trip.

19. LeadBelly

LeadBelly Banned

Should of been ent with the bitcoins

20. Kae3106

Kae3106 Active Member

Once a year my office receives a package of all loose foreign currency that has fallen out of packages. It's a pretty good sized package.