UPS medical vs. Teamster medical

upspuppet

I have worked for UPS for over 28 years and I have my peer 80. I plan on retiring in April of 2014. If I retire before Jan. 1 2014 I will be under the UPS medical plan. If I retire in 2014 I will be under the Teamster medical plan. Its hard to decide which one is/would be the best one to get locked in with. Any thoughts?

oldngray

nowhere special
Its hard to predict which plan will be better in the future. You have to decide whether you think it is UPS or the Teamsters that is more likely to screw you over in the future. After you retire you have no control so you are at their mercy as to any future changes. It depends on the local but here the UPS plan is better than Teamcare but it wouldn't surprise me if that gets reversed in a few years.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Its hard to predict which plan will be better in the future. You have to decide whether you think it is UPS or the Teamsters that is more likely to screw you over in the future. After you retire you have no control so you are at their mercy as to any future changes. It depends on the local but here the UPS plan is better than Teamcare but it wouldn't surprise me if that gets reversed in a few years.

That's a hard one to predict! LOL

BrownBrokeDown

I could be totally off here, but under the new healthcare laws, I thought the lifetime maximums were no longer allowed. Wouldn't this mean that UPS couldn't enforce a lifetime max?

oldngray

nowhere special
I could be totally off here, but under the new healthcare laws, I thought the lifetime maximums were no longer allowed. Wouldn't this mean that UPS couldn't enforce a lifetime max?

The new laws do not apply to retiree plans. One of those little details the media forgets to mention.

LagunaBrown

Insurance providers are not allowed to deny for pre existing conditions either. Does this mean if your 500,000 max runs out you can sign up with another insurance provider and get a a new 500,000 lifetime limit? Just askin.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Insurance providers are not allowed to deny for pre existing conditions either. Does this mean if your 500,000 max runs out you can sign up with another insurance provider and get a a new 500,000 lifetime limit? Just askin.

The answer is yes according to some talking heads I saw on TV.

Makes sense ... companies get another break and the government subsidizes the true cost.

For people who retired under the ups plan there was a 500grand max. If you are under central states / teamcare it's 200grand max a year. I can't explain it any more than this. It's a fact.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Kinda like having carrier groups in the Persian Gulf to protect oil tankers bound for the US... but you won't hear that from those talking (empty) heads.
Percentage wise, very few of the tankers are headed for the US.
They are headed to other countries.
Regardless, if the tankers were attacked and their oil did not reach their destination, the cost of crude would go up in the US as well.
The US has no interest in the Middle East other than their oil and potential multinational wars.

See here so you understand your point better:
Today, the U.S. actually gets most of its imported oil from Canada and Latin America.
Where Does America Get Oil? You May Be Surprised : NPR

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax, you're gonna lose all your street cred by citing NPR.

It's one of the few places one can get any semblance of an apolitical presentation of government happenings.
CNN is next best.
After that, they are all a bunch of BSing political hacks.

PS - I figured inthegame might accept it better if it came from NPR.