UPS n00b post :/

Tesla

Aloha to all the real UPSers out there... I've been digging in these forums trying to find some answers to questions I have...I fear I have found them but unsure; hence this post...

I am in the process of being hired as a seasonal package handler/driver...

I have gotten my DOT physical, have passed the driving test, have successfully passed the Integrad pre-course, and still am awaiting the background check to clear.. (which will I'm sure come back clean...)

I have great concerns that I will be let go come December 31...I know a job in UPS is not for everyone, but I don't consider myself just anyone either...a career with UPS is a coveted one...

I am told that if rehired after 'peak' that I will not have a say on what position or shift I would work...this is unsettling...Unsettling because this could cause complications in getting another job to supplement the income until I would become a 'full-time permanent employee'...

I have no issues with working from the bottom up into a driver position...that is something I do admire about the UPS infrastructure...

(Question) How slim of a chance do I have of being rehired after 'peak' even if I do make an impression on management for any position...

(Question) Is it common for UPS to invest thousands of dollars in this Integrad training to then just keep people on a tether for temp work? It doesn't make much business cents or sense...

It does seem like the HR guy tried to scare away as many people as possible before conducting interviews...he spoke of the horrors of the job...and half of the people who attended the 'tour' (there was no tour :/ ) left before interviews...

I understand the possibilities of being let go after peak...but it is spoken of as if there is no chance...yet...they will take union dues from me?...the latter does not sit well with me at all...especially seeing that I would not accrue seniority or have benefits...but se las viez (sp?)

I am certain there are other individuals that may have been in a similar situation and I am just looking for the true reality of this seasonal position becoming a career with UPS...which is something I am willing to work hard and fight for...times of uncertainty; however, is not what I can offer my family...and that is what has me balking at this opportunity...

Any advices, or commentary (good or bad) would be quite helpful..and thank you in advance for any information any of you can offer...

over9five

Staff member
Welcome to Brown Cafe, Tesla. There is really No chance of you driving after Christmas Eve. You gotta prepare yourself for this! Inside PT? maybe, depends where you are I guess.

I am amazed they send seasonals to Intergrad, I had no idea. Like you said, the time and expense for two months work....

I also thought they did not take Union dues from seasonals, but perhaps that also depends on the Local.

Good Luck, and stay safe out there!

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I have great concerns that I will be let go come December [-]31[/-]24
I am told that if rehired after 'peak' that I will not have a say on what position or shift I would work...this is unsettling...Unsettling because this could cause complications in getting another job to supplement the income until I would become a 'full-time permanent employee'...
(Question) How slim of a chance do I have of being rehired after 'peak' even if I do make an impression on management for any position...
If you are in an area with a strong local economy, pretty good. Although the rehire would most likely be as part-time package handler.
(Question) Is it common for UPS to invest thousands of dollars in this Integrad training to then just keep people on a tether for temp work? It doesn't make much business cents or sense...
Yes, it is common. They would very much prefer to string people along as 'temps' rather than hire an actual full time employee (who would get benefits and raises and paid holidays and vacations-all kinds of foolish nonsense).
It does seem like the HR guy tried to scare away as many people as possible before conducting interviews...he spoke of the horrors of the job...and half of the people who attended the 'tour' (there was no tour :/ ) left before interviews...
I understand the possibilities of being let go after peak...but it is spoken of as if there is no chance...yet...they will take union dues from me?...the latter does not sit well with me at all...especially seeing that I would not accrue seniority or have benefits...but se las viez (sp?)
Your location says Virginia. I believe that is a "Right to Work" state, so you would not have dues 'taken' from you, unless you formally opt to join the union. You are getting the benefit of the negotiated seasonal/starting wage; make no mistake, it would be much lower. And the regular dues aren't too bad, but some union Locals have really expensive initiation fees.
I am certain there are other individuals that may have been in a similar situation and I am just looking for the true reality of this seasonal position becoming a career with UPS...which is something I am willing to work hard and fight for...times of uncertainty; however, is not what I can offer my family...and that is what has me balking at this opportunity...
Any advices, or commentary (good or bad) would be quite helpful..and thank you in advance for any information any of you can offer...
First things first, if you get hired on as a seasonal driver, see how you like it. If it's as a seasonal driver helper, you'd still get a good feel for the job. If they only offer seasonal part time package handler work, it doesn't bode well for a full time driver job in the near future.
You speak of having a family. If the part time employees in your area get health coverage shortly after hire (and this only happens now for those in Teamster plans), then IMO, it would probably be a good idea to get a permanent rehire starting part time. If you would have to wait 18 months for full family coverage (the company's plan), I can't in good conscience recommend this option.

brownedout

Dave, we had a summer vacation casual who was sent to Intergrad. He was supposedly a stellar performer there, and was going to put all us overpaid vets to shame. He didn't make it 3 weeks. While I can guess Intergrad is a good training ground, how one performs there should not be indicative of how they will perform on the road.

Tesla

Thanks for the information...

To make things clear...I am going to Integrad...week-ending October 29...even though I don't understand why they talk this way instead of just saying it...but that's neither here nor there...

I am being told I am only here seasonally...still confused to why the pre-loader application then the 'insider' application to being a driver...but, I am not going to complain...as it is a foot in the door so to speak...and I am not the only 'seasonal' 'temp' hire being sent to Integrad from the center...

Virginia is a 'right to work state' but was asking for the clarification because everything the center does is because of 'the contract' which I was being told covers benefits, seniority, etc, etc...so that is where the question had come from...

Whether or not Upstate wants to call me out and say this bs is to his or her own volition...I know my situation and was wanting to know the 'real' possibility of being hired on full time..coming off of this seasonal driver position...and was just giving the information I have to give you all enough to answer my questions and for your answers I am thankful...

I do not mind starting at the bottom...nor would I mind being a pre-loader or anything else...as long as there would be career progression...after the seasonal work...and they said I 'may' be utilized for Saturday deliveries if I am in a position to be hired on after the holidays to 'keep my skills honed'...but I also know it wouldn't be to my benefit as their drivers would probably already be over thier DoT authorized drive time..or receiving over-time and it'd be cheaper to pay someone who isn't in that scenario...

The safety lady who took my sizes for my uniforms told me since having a CDL I'd have a better chance at getting a 'feeder' driving position quicker than a 'package car' driver position...but it seemed more gossip than anything as the HR guy told me those positions were for the more senior employees who were close to retirment...but everything I hear I do take with a grain of salt as I won't truly know anything until I am in the position and working..but a heads up to what I have to look forward to is appreciated..

She also said the center has been 'under the DOT radar' as of late, and the center has had a bad safety record and with new management are looking to fix that...

That gives me hope, and even Upstate gives me hope when he says seasonal hires don't go to integrad...hope...because, maybe there is more going on behind the scenes than they want to let me know...who knows...

I also am aware that during normal times they have only 50 routes at any typical time and in the holiday 'peak' season they tend to have 70 or 80...not sure why...but if it gives me work and future possibilities with the company I am going to take it...and I know the hourly wage I will be receiving (granted I pass Integrad)...will not be the same as it would be working the morning or PM shift at the center..

All I do know is I appreciate the information that has been given...I do look forward to a possible career with UPS...as again, the opportunity is better than most...and I know I will have to prove myself..

Thank you all again for you input it is indeed greatly appreciated. C=