UPS no longer washes windshields!!

wornoutupser

After a LOT of complaining and being yelled at for washing my own, the unload supervisor told me that he only has enough hours to park and oil the cars. There is no longer hours to wash windshields!

How do you contact the DOT?????

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They haven't had a carwash in our Hub for years, they just have a couple of guys that park cars for the Preload. My P700 only sees water when it rains. Its a contract violation, we are supposed to have clean windshields and mirrors. Its funny how they preach safety but don't practice it. If I have to clean my windshield at over $31 an hour, then so be it.

satellitedriver

I carry Windex and a roll of paper towels.
I need to see to drive safely.
The bugs that splat on my windshield can actually etch the glass, if left to dry.
The worst is a critter called the "lovebug". It will take the paint off a car, if left to dry.
DOT would tell you to sod off.

cascadehops

funny this just came up in our safety meeting. i went to the mat with our center manager cause he wouldnt allow drivers to have a squegee with bottle of windex in the truck. said it was too hard to keep all the bottles labeled for OSHAs sake. we have now started washing all the windows before work on safety time.

BigBrown3605

Yep. After peak, my pc looked like a giant mudball. I asked my sup if my car can be washed. He said yes but it never did. After a long day of delivering packages, I washed my own car which took an hour. Yep time, time an a half, doing something I have buisness doing. Why can't we have a bleeping car wash...............

satellitedriver

funny this just came up in our safety meeting. i went to the mat with our center manager cause he wouldnt allow drivers to have a squegee with bottle of windex in the truck. said it was too hard to keep all the bottles labeled for OSHAs sake. we have now started washing all the windows before work on safety time.
Well, I guess your center manager is totally ignorant of OSHA rules.
Every pkg car has a windshield washer fluid reservoir that the center mechanic must keep full.
Is it labeled?
Nope
Is a bottle of Windex labeled with all ingredients?
Yep.
Are any ingredients in Windex in the MSDS as a prohibited substance?
Nope.
All that aside, I wash my windows and mirrors every morning, for my own safety's sake.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Same thing down here. I use a product called Invisiglass. It's available at most Auto Part stores & Target. I also use microfiber glass towels from Uline. I demonstrated how effective these were to management. They were impressed and said they would forward a request up the chain.

Never heard a thing back.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We have a car wash that used to wash windows. Some punk from IE came in about a year ago and implemented a new system whereby cars have numbers on the windshields to tell the crew what days they get washed and fueled. He stood in the PCM and told all of us it was being done to give the car washers more time to do detail work on the insides. Promised us no car washers would be cut and the fleet would be much cleaner and more efficient.Three days later they cut two car washers and no one is allowed to do any detail work. No windows, no sweeping out trucks no interior cleaning at all.

I now keep windex and paper towels and wash my own several times a week. If I could get every driver to do the same in the AM, I guarantee they would hire back the car washers that were cut!!

gorilla75jdw

LOL, We thought one of our supervisors was getting ingredients to make meth , he had a whole tub of different sprays. Turns out the sup., had went through all the feeder tractors and got all the employee bought cleaning supplies out of each tractor , because OSHA was going t be doing an audit .

over9five

Staff member
Of course they no longer have the windshields washed. They know 90% of you guys will buy your own supplies with your own money and wash them for free on your lunch.

JonFrum

Article 18, Section 1 says, "All package cars and tractors will be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition including mirrors and windows."

After I park my line of package cars and squeeze them close, I squeegee all the outside windshields with plain water from a squirt bottle every night. Works fine and takes less than a minute per car.

Once a week I do the inside windshields. Again, plain water, less than a minute, works fine.

Even though the spray bottle just contains plain water, since it isn't the original container with the original label, a blank generic label must be affixed with the word "water" written in, and zeros entered in the little hazard boxes. Sometimes I also write "H2O" so the Keter guy will get a woody.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Article 18, Section 1 says, "All package cars and tractors will be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition including mirrors and windows."

After I park my line of package cars and squeeze them close, I squeegee all the outside windshields with plain water from a squirt bottle every night. Works fine and takes less than a minute per car.

Once a week I do the inside windshields. Again, plain water, less than a minute, works fine.

Even though the spray bottle just contains plain water, since it isn't the original container with the original label, a blank generic label must be affixed with the word "water" written in, and zeros entered in the little hazard boxes. Sometimes I also write "H2O" so the Keter guy will get a woody.
That right there is hilarious!!!!

menotyou

bella amicizia
I clean mine when I fuel on route. When I get someone elses car I'm amazed at how dirty some of their windows are.
Makes you wonder. Some cars are down right gross, especially at centers without carwashers. These people spend almost half their day in these vehicles. Yuck. Guys would thank me after I used their trucks. It doesn't take much to clean them up to the not so yucky stage.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
For years I cleaned and used Rain-X ( mirrors , side windows & windshields ) on every P3 I used, which each day was a different car. Over the course of a month each P3 was done .
Back in the late 90's, when I was in p/t car wash, my sup was able to order several boxes of Rain-X , at my suggestion, and that winter every PC in our building had their glass treated.
What I carried with me in the winter was a spray bottle filled with dry gas fluid , which I sprayed onto every PC's mirrors that had fogged up when entering the building from the cold outside .

It's either I clean all the windows, as often as needed as we're in salt season here, or the rig doesn't roll. Plain and simple.

rod

Retired 22 years
For years I cleaned and used Rain-X ( mirrors , side windows & windshields ) on every P3 I used, which each day was a different car. Over the course of a month each P3 was done .
Back in the late 90's, when I was in p/t car wash, my sup was able to order several boxes of Rain-X , at my suggestion, and that winter every PC in our building had their glass treated.
What I carried with me in the winter was a spray bottle filled with dry gas fluid , which I sprayed onto every PC's mirrors that had fogged up when entering the building from the cold outside .

After showing my center manager what I paid for a botle of Rain-X that I had bought for my own personel vehical and telling him what a great product it is Mr. Tightazzes only comment was "no way could he justify spending that much". That was just after he had thrown away a bunch of good rubber carwash hoses, new carwash brushes, 2 nice 6' high double door metal shop cabinets and a bunch of other good shop stuff because he was worried about having too much "stuff" when the audit boys showed up. P.S. I still use the hoses, a carwash brush and have one of the metal cabinets in my shop at home. (Thank you auditors). I usually peeked in the UPS dumpster every night to see what treasures were available.